WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I LOVE Ball Watches... I own the Spacemaster with white dial. I also previously owned, and just sold the Engineer II Arabic II COSC, black dial.

Love the build quality, both of my Ball watches have kept amazingly accurate time, the lume is fantastic, anti magnetic, etc. etc.....

but... why doesn't Ball ever put the date window in black, with white text, on their dark dial watches?

There are certainly less expensive watches which have white text on black background, on the date display, so I doubt it's a matter of money.

Do other people find it distracting, having a white box with the date, against a black or dark bronze dial?

I just don't get the logic. Perhaps I'm in the minority, and most people would prefer black on white, but I doubt it.

Yea, it's a little thing. But when Ball Watch pays attention to making their watches anti-magnetic, they make fantastic bracelets, clasps, etc., why do they seem to ignore this detail?

Anyone else bothered by this? (does Ball have any dark/black dial watches with white on black date displays that I'm unaware of)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think there is an aviator with a dark background...lemme see...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Repost from photo album...contrary to what you might see in the photo, there is a dark red date to the right of the day...I presume it's visible in real life.
bg
Thanks!

Now to ME (and I realize, everyone is different) that looks SOOOO much nicer! I even like the Red text for the date!

Hey, I did own a Ball with black dial and black on white text for the day and date... so I guess it didn't bother me enough to keep me from purchasing the watch.

That being said, would anyone argue that on a black dial, white text on black background looks WORSE? If most people would agree having white text on black background for the day or date on a black dial looks nicer, what's the reason Ball (and other watch companies) don't bother?

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
For my aging eyes the black background with white print is hard to read on a black dial. The red even worse. I had on another brand watch this weekend that is how you are asking and while it does look more integrated it was hard to read the date. My Deep Quest with black dial and white date is very legible even at a sharp angles. I think I actual prefer the contrast it gives me plus this provides an area for my eyes to quickly focus to.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
I have aging eyes as well, but that isn't the problem in reading the red date on the black background on the Aviator--the problem there is simply the two color temperatures are too close, and the contrast is not distinct enough to easily see in most light sources. However, white numerals on black are quite easy to read as long as the numerals are precisely printed, such as on a Sinn--even the small numerals are still easy to read on most of their watches. So, I agree with the OP, I do not like the inconsistency of a black dial watch with a white date window, or the reverse--I would much prefer the same color background for both dials, and honestly, I don't look at the date all that much anyway--there are still enough calendars, newspapers and so forth in my life so that I am rarely unsure of the current date. With that said, I don't need a distracting off color window telling me the date that I already know anyway.
Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts