WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
G-Shock Mod
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the GW2000 owners: how fast does the hands move when changing mode?

e.g. when changing to the alarm mode, do you have to wait a while for the hands to "get into place"?

cause waiting for the hands to get ready when changing mode can be annoying. i have had the GS1000 and MTG1000 before, while i like all analog G-Shocks, I just can't stand the "long wait" for the hands to get ready when changing mode. :rodekaart

It was fun to watch the hands dance around the dial for the first 5 min. but after that, it just becomes annoying to wait, especially when you did something like change from one city to another in the world time mode. :rodekaart

the spec of GW2000 looks promising, but the slow respond in mode changes will be a deal killer for me. o|

·
Registered
328 Posts
hi,

since this is not the first time this question has shown up, i'm shooting a little video that tries to show it. i've done the shooting part, but now i just have to upload it, and it's going to take a little time.

i'll get back as soon as i have done that, and hopefully you'll be able to look past the poor video and narrating skills, and get an idea...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
it takes somewhat long - the movement of the right subdial - especially when the hour hand has to move as well. a nice thing is that the dial will move in either clockwise or counterclockwise direction, depending on the shorter distance. i would find it annoying to move to and from stopwatch and time often, though this is negated to a degree by 24 hour time always being present in the lower subdial.

to me, the 2000B (resin) is such a unique look- the deep face, compact inner diameter, and powerful styling - that it is a great watch just for spicing up the collection.

ha ha; i did learn a lesson that i was bound to sooner or later. i paid a pretty premium to own this watch immediately upon release, for i see a few weeks later it is being sold at quite nice discounts. but a few watches in my small collection never were officially released in the us, so who knows how this plays out.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
328 Posts
done with the video.

i uploaded a hd version of the video, and it's only halfway with the youtube processing, i'm getting a 'quality will improve when done' type of message, so we'll just have to wait for a better quality in a while.

anyway, the video is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhWmg5QZyM, if you'd like to check the hands speed.

(i'd like to apologize in advance, this is my first video of this kind, and it's meant as way to show the speed of operation. never mind my narration, it turns out i forgot to name the buttons and everything, i just say 'this' and 'this', and you cannot really tell which one i'm pressing at the time. as i said, it was meant to show speed, and i guess it does that... :-s )

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
thanks for the video... now I know what to expect... mine's currently on a fedex truck going cross country.

btw what is the lug size of this watch?... I'm wondering if resin bands from other models can fit this watch.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maique, thanks so much for the vid, its very helpful |>

at least now i know i don't have to wait until all the hands stops to begin using a function

quick question, what about in alarm mode? when I am trying to set the alarm or turn it on or off, is the wait long? (long like swapping 2 time zones? or just long like chronograph rushing back to zero?)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Independent hour and minute hands for these type of watches is the next must-have feature. We've been stuck with this annoyance for decades now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
maique, thanks so much for the vid, its very helpful |>

at least now i know i don't have to wait until all the hands stops to begin using a function

quick question, what about in alarm mode? when I am trying to set the alarm or turn it on or off, is the wait long? (long like swapping 2 time zones? or just long like chronograph rushing back to zero?)
oops, i forgot alarm mode.. o|

switching on and off is a quick thing, just a matter of pressing a button and the seconds hand will move from on to off, or back.
setting the alarm takes a little longer, the hands on the right tiny dial have to move to the alarm time, which can take a bit longer if the hour is too far away from the one shown at the time, and setting it it done via two buttons, one moves the time up, and another moves it down, on minute at a time.

if you press the button and hold, it will go into fast mode.

in the end it depends on the time you have set, and the new one.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Independent hour and minute hands for these type of watches is the next must-have feature. We've been stuck with this annoyance for decades now.
I've wondered why they don't move independent of one another for some time. I figure it would require another "motor" and the fact that they point out these types of analogs are 5-motor might mean that is a significant increase in the complexity and thus the cost of the watch. Just my reasoning though, I surely could be wrong.

·
Registered
597 Posts
thanx for the video :-!

and, yes, the module needs a sixth motor... (I was hoping to see this already last year, but was wrong https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=172188

but a big second hand is one step ahead, too... Tough Movement is nice to have but not so important, if you ask me, or has anybody ever adjusted the home positions?)

But honestly I don't expect it this year, but we have to wait until August/September for the next introduction of something new :think:

Sibe

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Maique -

Thanks for a very informative video... it is good to see we don't have wait for the hands to stop moving before we go on to some other function.. I found that to be quite annoying when playing with a Giez. I do wish that while the hands were moving that the hour and minute hands could move independent from each other, and as others have said it would most likely require a new motor to perform such a trick... probably jack the price up that much more. I've seen other watch vendors perform this trick and watching hands move to their new position in just a couple seconds is way cooler than watching the minute hand go round and round on the Casio... oh well.. I am glad the watch functions are no longer locked out - a nice improvement.

As for Tough Mov't, well I am hopeful it appears on more atomic analogs, I would think it would be very helpful. I have a GW-1600, and the 2+ years I've owned it, there were two times I had to perform the hand-setting ajustment. Both times I was comparing time with all my watches and I noticed the GW-1600 was some 30-40 seconds off from the rest. My non-atomics and atomics were all aligned but the GW-1600 was way off... the first time I saw this I was very concerned, but then I noticed the digital time on the GW-1600 was dead on accurate. So I popped open the manual and found the button sequence to sync the analog time back to the digital time. It is not hard, but one function that I have only done twice and never remember how to do it.

Now for an all analog watch, if its analog display is not sync'ed up with its internal clock, since you can't see the internal clock's time, how do you know if the analog display is the correct time? Tough Mov't would solve that problem. Maybe my experience with my GW-1600 has swayed my in that direction, but I would be looking forward to any new analog atomic to have tough mov't.

·
Registered
597 Posts
maybe one day we will see 8-9 motors :-d

1 big second hand
2 function hand sub dial (and day of the week, 8 motors solution)
3 big hour hand
4 big minute hand
5 24 hour hand
6 day of the month
7 sub dial hour hand
8 sub dial minute hand
9 day of the week (similar to the day of the months on a rotating disk)

imagine how fast the hands adjust to the correct positions ;-)

OK, just kidding... 6 motos would be nice enough to be the next big thing and I can even live with 5 ;-)

Sibe

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I've wondered why they don't move independent of one another for some time. I figure it would require another "motor" and the fact that they point out these types of analogs are 5-motor might mean that is a significant increase in the complexity and thus the cost of the watch. Just my reasoning though, I surely could be wrong.
i do not think the gw2000 is a 5 motor design. if that isn't what you meant to say, i apologize for the misunderstanding. i am certain the new tough mvt, 5 motor, 6 band movements change modes quicker.

·
Registered
597 Posts
the GW-2000 has 5 motors (but not the Tough Movement auto hand home position correction of the MRG-8100)

1st motor is the big second hand
2nd is the big hour, big minute and 24 hour hand
3rd is the day of the month
4th is the function and day of the week hand
5th is the sub dial at 3 with minute and (24-)hour hand

I do not think it moves the hands quicker than the MRG-8100, but who knows...

Sibe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts