WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am left handed and followed my dad's lead who is also left handed and wear my watch on my right hand. Since most of the world and almost all watches are designed for righties, and lefties learn to adapt, I was wondering which hand, particularly lefties wear their watch on.

Just to indulge in a story; I was in the Navy stationed on a sub. I was sent to a school at the Trident Base in Kings Bay, Georgia. They had just finished outfitting a new training facility that a salty Master Chief was rightly proud of. He asked me what I thought of the new and impressive state of the art facility. I told him I was impressed and he stated that he was in charge of outfitting the classrooms with the desks and other furniture. In the US in the Nuclear Navy we are taught to be honest, tell it like it is and respectfully question authority. I told him it all looked great, but he neglected to buy any left handed desks. He was very embarrassed by this and offered to modify a desk for me to use. I told him it was ok and that most places only have right handed desks and I have learned to get by. I was very surprised by his reaction and desire to give all the students the proper tools to learn.

Reactions: Ottovonn

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Good story. Lefties get a raw deal most of the time. I wear my watch like you, on the right. It makes sense to wear it on the non-dominant side. I've never had a problem with that, though there some watches made for lefties with crowns on the left. I have one of them, but to be honest, it doesn't make much difference, in fact crowns on the right dig into my wrist less. I often wonder how right handed people put up with some of those huge crowns digging into the back of their hands.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am left handed and followed my dad's lead who is also left handed and wear my watch on my right hand. Since most of the world and almost all watches are designed for righties, and lefties learn to adapt, I was wondering which hand, particularly lefties wear their watch on.

Just to indulge in a story; I was in the Navy stationed on a sub. I was sent to a school at the Trident Base in Kings Bay, Georgia. They had just finished outfitting a new training facility that a salty Master Chief was rightly proud of. He asked me what I thought of the new and impressive state of the art facility. I told him I was impressed and he stated that he was in charge of outfitting the classrooms with the desks and other furniture. In the US in the Nuclear Navy we are taught to be honest, tell it like it is and respectfully question authority. I told him it all looked great, but he neglected to buy any left handed desks. He was very embarrassed by this and offered to modify a desk for me to use. I told him it was ok and that most places only have right handed desks and I have learned to get by. I was very surprised by his reaction and desire to give all the students the proper tools to learn.
We live in a right handed world. As a youth, I always wondered why my watches took such abuse :) It didn't occur to me it how much more we use our dominant hand in every day life. I've pretty much adapted to using right handed things. The only area I've come across that I ended up with left handed equipment is golf. I couldn't bring myself to golf right handed.

Mike

·
Registered
354 Posts
Right hander here...

I can't wear a watch on my left hand. I end up smashing into everything and damaging it. So I wear it on the right. Anytime someone sees me writing they tell me I've got it on the wrong hand.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
I'm a lefty and wear my watch on my right hand too. Like GlennO said, it saves my hand from having the crown dig in, I've never felt the need to use the crown while I'm wearing a watch, I see it as a benefit to have the crown facing my elbow instead of my hand. Plus, it's easy to operate the pushers on a chrono with my left thumb.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am left-handed and always wear my watches on my LEFT hand! why ever not? The crown never digs in and it just seems natural to me! Of course, I reckon I am a bit of an odd-ball even in the small left-handed minority group. For instance, I play Tennis, Squash (akin to racketball), badminton, darts, pool, table-tennis LEFT-handed, but I play rounders (baseball), golf, cricket RIGHT-handed! Came to the conclusion that all sporting activities that involve using 2 hands, I go right-handed!? Just how I naturally adopted it when I played the sport. Although activities like using a computer mouse, I use right-handed!? go figure :>)

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Watches go on the left hand and I am left handed. The only time I think about it is when someone asks on WUS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice respectful story. As the mama of a leftie, I've witnessed my son's talent to adapt to a right-handed world.
Real lefties (different from ambidextrous) tend to think and solve problems differently. It takes flexibility for them to use a pair of scissors or write with a fountain pen without smudging the page, or use a camera.
They also tend to reach for objects with their left hand first or climb the stairs with their left foot first.
Quite interesting to observe..
My kid wears his watch on his left wrist

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'm a lefty and wear my watch on the right. Saves it from lots of dings.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Lefty who wears watch on left wrist. As an earlier posted mentioned, I bang up my watches more than the average bear probably because the watch is on my dominant hand.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Left handed and wear it on the left.

Tried it once on my right and found that my right arm cops a lot more knocks as its not as 'dominant'

1 - 18 of 18 Posts