WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more about long term planning, but at some point I'm going to add one more 34mm/35mm (no bigger) dressier watch and Nomos' Orion & Ludwig would be two potential candidates. Here's the thing: I've got a 35mm X 42mm watch now and the length of the lugs is right at what I think my limit is. This makes it hard to imagine how I could get used to Nomos' lugs which are even longer...especially since the wrist shots I've seen appear to show them as relatively straight and extending to the edge of 6.5" / 6.75" wrists. If you've bought a Nomos did the lugs throw you at first, and if they did was it something you either did or didn't get used to?

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I can't comment with too much substance, since the only Nomos in the house is the short lugged tetra

But I'm responding and liking this based solely on the strength of the pun in the title.

Reactions: drhr and ljb187

·
Registered
29,241 Posts
I have 6.75" wrists and panicked when my first Nomo arrived and I saw the long lugs, but because the case height is minimal, it really wears well on my wrist.

Way better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
The Ludwig is fine on my 6.5 inch wrist, but you are right in questioning the lug length of Nomos watches. I had a Tangente Sport model which I loved the look of, everything I would ever want in a watch (sorry, no wrist pics of that one). Except was not ready for the signature Nomos lugs - with a 36.5 mm dial, I assumed it would wear just fine. I tried to make it work for actually quite awhile (given my history, especially then) but in the end, just couldn't stand to have it so wrist large (to me, it probably would've be fine to others) and reluctantly moved it out. Funny, it wasn't like it was wrapping around my wrist but just was a tad too long!

·
Registered
70 Posts
At first, I was worried about the lug lengths with Nomos as well. However, I actually enjoy their length. I have fairly large wrists (7.25" or so), so maybe I'm not one to comment much on their size. Also, I don't remember what it was like having the Orion or Ludwig on my wrist either, but I assume I didn't have a problem with their lug size (I was just looking for something a little more casual). I have the Club Automat Datum dunkel and I have no issues with it. The lugs look great and the whole watch feels even better.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nomos?? Focus, LJB....Keep your eyes on the prize! :-d
Domo, you are a beacon in a sea of Google images. In my defense though, I did say long term...it's just that the concept of time in the world of watches is a pretty hard one to pin down. Huh. I'm pretty sure there was an opportunity for some philosophizin' in that last statement.

Also, that grey dial Self-Dater ain't half-bad, is it?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Domo, you are a beacon in a sea of Google images. In my defense though, I did say long term...it's just that the concept of time in the world of watches is a pretty hard one to pin down. Huh. I'm pretty sure there was an opportunity for some philosophizin' in that last statement.

Also, that grey dial Self-Dater ain't half-bad, is it?

It's a meh from me....There's cheaper ways to get a 9F, and with a nicer dial too. And there's not enough dial text on it. Grand Seiko needs to use more dial text :p
I do like the case back engraving on it though....

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've never given it much thought, to be honest. I suppose the lugs allow the watch to wear and look slightly larger than a normal 35mm watch. My wrists are very small, and I have no problems with the lugs being big.

nomos1.jpg

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's a meh from me....There's cheaper ways to get a 9F, and with a nicer dial too. And there's not enough dial text on it. Grand Seiko needs to use more dial text :p
I do like the case back engraving on it though....
That Grand Seiko script does look kind of forlorn, but if you lose that the anthracite dial wins the day. Nobody says Grand Seikos have to be beautiful either...it's fine with me that the case looks like it was shaped by hammers. Take that for what it's worth though; I'm the guy who said in an earlier post that the neutral zone trap was fun to watch.

Wait a minute! How in tarnation did this turn into a Grand Seiko thread?

[video=dailymotion;x39u71]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39u71_droopy-dog-1943-dumb-hounded_news[/video]

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ck1109: I'm fine with the size, in fact 35mm is as big as I'd go with a watch like these. I wonder if the Tangente wears a little different because of the bent lugs?

GlennO: I'm almost trying to talk myself into that one. It's a little tricky. I've got an old 32mm Benrus that I know is too small and a 34mm Max Bill that I can live with just fine. Psychologically 33mm seems a lot closer to 32 than 34. The bigger factor for me - and one that I haven't seen mentioned in the big/little watch threads - is the strap. The smaller watches get, the less substantial their thinner straps appear. What I've noticed is that I'll throw in the towel on thin straps before I do the same with small cases.

Nokie:
I did a semi-lazy search for "Nokie Nomos" (which is actually kinda fun to type), but didn't come up with the model you've got.

drhr: The Orion Weiß is my obvious choice since you just can't get around how great it looks, but the Ludwig is the one I like. It has something to do with sleek elegance or more rooted design...the jet-age versus the era of the pocket watch. When I think of the Orion I think of Pan Am stewardesses, the guy from Mad Men and motels that look like this. The Ludwig is more Shaker furniture and steam trains.

Aus_Corp: I really like the Club. The discontinued darker dial especially...it looks great on a NATO. I just can't use another sport watch right now. If it worked as a field watch I may have gone for it at some point. I actually wrote Nomos about that but they advised against.

Noam & Geoffbot: Your answers surprised me. Not that you're wrong, but that I'm seeing things so different. The Watchbuys road show may help if I can get up to LA in August.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ck1109: I'm fine with the size, in fact 35mm is as big as I'd go with a watch like these. I wonder if the Tangente wears a little different because of the bent lugs?

GlennO: I'm almost trying to talk myself into that one. It's a little tricky. I've got an old 32mm Benrus that I know is too small and a 34mm Max Bill that I can live with just fine. Psychologically 33mm seems a lot closer to 32 than 34. The bigger factor for me - and one that I haven't seen mentioned in the big/little watch threads - is the strap. The smaller watches get, the less substantial their thinner straps appear. What I've noticed is that I'll throw in the towel on thin straps before I do the same with small cases.

Nokie:
I did a semi-lazy search for "Nokie Nomos" (which is actually kinda fun to type), but didn't come up with the model you've got.

drhr: The Orion Weiß is my obvious choice since you just can't get around how great it looks, but the Ludwig is the one I like. It has something to do with sleek elegance or more rooted design...the jet-age versus the era of the pocket watch. When I think of the Orion I think of Pan Am stewardesses, the guy from Mad Men and motels that look like this. The Ludwig is more Shaker furniture and steam trains.

Aus_Corp: I really like the Club. The discontinued darker dial especially...it looks great on a NATO. I just can't use another sport watch right now. If it worked as a field watch I may have gone for it at some point. I actually wrote Nomos about that but they advised against.

Noam & Geoffbot: Your answers surprised me. Not that you're wrong, but that I'm seeing things so different. The Watchbuys road show may help if I can get up to LA in August.

There were 3 reasons why I chose the Tangente over other Nomos models:

1. Black pvd case - I didn't want a shiny case
2. The dial aesthetics - blued hands
3. The bent lugs - felt more comfortable than the straight lugs on the Orion. They wrapped around nicely.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This is the one thing that annoys me about my Tangente Datum. The lugs pretty much reach exactly to the edge of my wrist on both sides. I don't like it - it makes the watch seem oversized and less elegant. It's an amazing watch in every other aspect, but I wish they'd ditch the long lugs. Smallish 6" wrist here.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First off, that PVC Nomos is cool...it isn't Nomos' bread and butter, but there won't be too many around like it. Good change of pace. From the looks of things I think your right abut the Tangente's too.

Does anybody know the reason for these lugs? Is it based on some sort of German design philosophy or maybe their just trying to highlight/emphasize the dial? I should write Nomos to see if I can find out. I've already been successful in getting Seiko to reduce the amount of text on their Grand Seiko dials, maybe I can get Nomos to lop 2mm of their lugs. Threatening to post pictures of myself, a Ludwig and a pair of Speedos across multiple watch forums might just do the trick.

Reactions: bu11itt
1 - 20 of 23 Posts