WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was going to be a Hesalite v Sapphire post - but then I did the research and decided on a Hesalite - the history, the dome effect and apparently it gives the dial a warmth which is absent from he sapphire. It is also $1000 USD cheaper. And I don't care much for the caseback.

I have couple of questions. I plan to purchase from an AD I have shopped frequently with last couple of years and honestly they are amazing to interact with so I am happy to continue giving them business.

I have two questions:

1) How many straps does it come with when purchasing new through an AD (and I am being impatient as I have already sent them a note with this same question)?

2) Has anyone gotten the Speedmaster velcro strap? I like the look on Omega's site. however, I do not want tp pull the trigger for $160 if it isn't a good look. if anyone has wrist shots - that would be great.

Also no offense to any sapphire owners. The tie breaker came down to price mostly.

Unrelated a few AD's confirmed that Omega will discontinue current model and introduce a new model with new bracelet, movement, etc.

IDK what does for the value of the current model - but I have wanted the current model for awhile... so this may be one of my last chances to get it new.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Great choice. The big presentation box which the Speedy comes in includes a black NATO and the black Velcro strap, so you don’t have to worry about buying the latter. You can easily save another $1000-$1500 by buying the watch brand new, with manufacturers warrant, from one of the reputable grey dealers who advertise here.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Great choice going with the Hesalite Hesalite Speedy. That's the model I chose as well; the Hesalite definitely softens the look of the watch.

The Speedmaster comes with 3 straps: either the bracelet or the gator, the OMEGA NATO strap, and a NASA Velcro strap to wear over your spacesuit.

I can't comment on the OMEGA Velcro but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer that one.

Best of luck and enjoy your new Speedy when it arrives.

René

Reactions: NewGuard84

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great choice. The big presentation box which the Speedy comes in includes a black NATO and the black Velcro strap, so you don’t have to worry about buying the latter. You can easily save another $1000-$1500 by buying the watch brand new, with manufacturers warrant, from one of the reputable grey dealers who advertise here.

I am getting a pretty generous price as I have a relationship and I think AD's are willing to accommodate nowadays on non Rolex/Panerai models.

Curious to what you think I can get through grey dealer? I have a feeling its close to what I can get from AD

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am getting a pretty generous price as I have a relationship and I think AD's are willing to accommodate nowadays on non Rolex/Panerai models.

Curious to what you think I can get through grey dealer? I have a feeling its close to what I can get from AD
Speedy Pro prices are rising, from GM on down. If you're happy with the price you're getting from your AD I'd go there and save on the hassles that are always possible, though by no means a given, going GM.

·
Registered
971 Posts

A quick look at what some of the reputable greys are offering shows prices in the $4200-$4500 range, obviously without sales tax. If you can get a 20% discount from your AD then you’re good to go

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A quick look at what some of the reputable greys are offering shows prices in the $4200-$4500 range, obviously without sales tax. If you can get a 20% discount from your AD then you’re good to go
Thats good to know! This feels reassuring to go through my AD.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congratulations! You'll love the MOTM
And, see GasGasBones for cool repro NASA Velcro straps.

My .02, see mdgrwl @ The Watch Exchange Company if you can't make the deal you want at your AD.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Congratulations! You'll love the MOTM
And, see GasGasBones for cool repro NASA Velcro straps.

My .02, see mdgrwl @ The Watch Exchange Company if you can't make the deal you want at your AD.
I second that advice. Matt, aka mdgrwl, is a great guy and will do you right.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also no offense to any sapphire owners. The tie breaker came down to price mostly.
As a sapphire sandwich owner, I thank you for your kind words.
Both hesalite and sapphire are great watches in their own right, and one should choose the type which suits them best, whether in looks, features or budget.

Some people seem to justify their choice by denigrating the other, aka "I picked the hesalite coz the sapphire sucks." It puzzles me why people need to do this . It's your money... just buy what you like, you don't need to give two bits to what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Some people seem to justify their choice by denigrating the other, aka "I picked the hesalite coz the sapphire sucks." It puzzles me why people need to do this . It's your money... just buy what you like, you don't need to give two bits to what anyone else thinks.
I do not understand that either. I picked the Hesalite, but that was a TOUGH decision! The sapphire is a beautiful watch. My decision ended up being like 51% Hesalite vs 49% Sapphire with the authenticity of the Hesalite being something I valued a smidge more. And I revisit that decision every time I need to polish scuffs of the Hesalite! I also think at the time the Sapphire said the “only” or “first and only” watch worn on the moon vs the Hesalite which said “first”.

As for pricing, I picked up my Speedy Pro about 3 years ago grey market with the full kit for $3500. So prices are definitely going up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Many of us have struggled with that same sapphire vs hesalite decision. In my case, I went back and forth for quite awhile, then suddenly found myself attracted to the FOIS, and I pulled the trigger. That really should have resolved the dilemna, because the FOIS is a great watch. But in all honesty, I still feel that one of these is in my future. It's a sickness for sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How the hesalite reflects the light to make the watch appear warmer was the determining factor for me. Before that, I was set in the ideology that expensive watches MUST have sapphire. But then really it came down to my relationship with the watch, and how I felt ”interacting” with it.

I managed to find my NEW ref 3570.50 back in 2015 despite the fact the next gen presentation box 311.xx version was already out. In fact I found the lead through these forums. I too have heard the prices are going up soon, so this is the time window to buy, it looks like, especially if you want it NEW. Good luck!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a sapphire sandwich owner, I thank you for your kind words.
Both hesalite and sapphire are great watches in their own right, and one should choose the type which suits them best, whether in looks, features or budget.

agreed. I love both. Unfortunately, at times it is human nature to justify our own purchase by putting down the other option.

Both are big purchases for me. So the additional 1k is too much for me at the moment. Although I do imagine the sapphire going up in value more than the hesalite option.

on another note I’ve seen many posts where someone who purchased the hesalite ended up getting the sapphire. I pray this won’t be me! Otherwise I should’ve just forked over the extra 1k!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many of us have struggled with that same sapphire vs hesalite decision. In my case, I went back and forth for quite awhile, then suddenly found myself attracted to the FOIS, and I pulled the trigger. That really should have resolved the dilemna, because the FOIS is a great watch. But in all honesty, I still feel that one of these is in my future. It's a sickness for sure.
I actually love the FOIS sue tot he ring between the dial and bezel + 40mm is my ideal selection. Howver, I tried on the 42mm moonwatch and fell in love. And you never chance love

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually love the FOIS sue tot he ring between the dial and bezel + 40mm is my ideal selection. Howver, I tried on the 42mm moonwatch and fell in love. And you never chance love
I second that advice. Matt, aka mdgrwl, is a great guy and will do you right.
Yah.. I got a James Cameron sea dweller earlier this year. Easy transaction

1 - 20 of 47 Posts