WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which bezel insert did you choose and would you choose it again? Benchmade Paradive owners had the option of a sapphire insert. Rtw Paradives now offer either aluminum hard anodized or acrylic. The acrylic looks great new and produces the Benrus look. I like the look of a well worn anodized insert, not so sure an acrylic will age as well. What's your experience?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
I went Acrylic, loved the connection to the original Benrus - also the full lume is cool (lasts all night) it’s s great travel watch, solid, well built, looks great.....a wear anywhere any time watch...can’t go wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have the RTW and went with the 12hr acrylic. I would absolutely pick the same bezel. The acrylic ties everything in and looks outstanding. Yes it’s picked up some character building scratches, but I was also very active with it. That being said I’ve had extended time with a Graywater which has the anodized aluminum. I think that bezel would withstand pretty much anything. I don’t think anyone would argue if you want the most durable of the 2, the aluminum wins.

IG: th3measure

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went Acrylic, loved the connection to the original Benrus - also the full lume is cool (lasts all night) it’s s great travel watch, solid, well built, looks great.....a wear anywhere any time watch...can’t go wrong.

Great point about the full lume, probably a big factor for those choosing acrylic. Yours is looking great as always!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the RTW and went with the 12hr acrylic. I would absolutely pick the same bezel. The acrylic ties everything in and looks outstanding. Yes it’s picked up some character building scratches, but I was also very active with it. That being said I’ve had extended time with a Graywater which has the anodized aluminum. I think that bezel would withstand pretty much anything. I don’t think anyone would argue if you want the most durable of the 2, the aluminum wins.

IG: th3measure

I agree the acrylic has that special look. I'm going to pick up a Paradive to be my "most days" wearer so it's going to get some heavy use. I think a well used aluminum insert with everyday dings and scratches on a tool watch is a good look, I just didn't know what to expect from the acrylic. It's good to hear yours has picked up some character and looks good, and you'd choose acrylic again.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I chose aluminium diver's insert for my RTW... LOVE it. Bill sources about the best inserts available to micros in my opinion. Fantastic.

Kinda sorta wish I also had an acrylic 12 hour version, though...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Acrylic, b/c I love a lumed bezel and it adds a bit of panache over ubiquitous aluminum. But as a caveat, I'm not currently a paradive owner, just opinionated!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I chose aluminium diver's insert for my RTW... LOVE it. Bill sources about the best inserts available to micros in my opinion. Fantastic.

Kinda sorta wish I also had an acrylic 12 hour version, though...
Interesting, sounds like the acrylic is still calling to you. Agreed on Bill, I think he's very discerning about everything that goes into his pieces. Have you had a chance to beat up your aluminum any?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Acrylic, b/c I love a lumed bezel and it adds a bit of panache over ubiquitous aluminum. But as a caveat, I'm not currently a paradive owner, just opinionated!

Your opinion counts, you're a Blackwater & Graywater owner. What inserts on those?

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the daylight they are like fraternal twins, but it is at night that they show their different personalities. Love the blue luminescence. It is visible all night with night adjusted eyes.

The PD3 with the acrylic insert reminds me of the movie Close Encounter of the Third Kind if I need to wear the watch all night.

The PD3 with the aluminum insert, at night, is more subdued and looks like a standard divers watch.

I could not decide between the two. Yes, I purchased both. My first purchase was the acrylic PD3 with the 12 hour insert; the second was with the aluminum 12 hour insert. I am happy with both.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In the daylight they are like fraternal twins, but it is at night that they show their different personalities. Love the blue luminescence. It is visible all night with night adjusted eyes.

The PD3 with the acrylic insert reminds me of the movie Close Encounter of the Third Kind if I need to wear the watch all night.

The PD3 with the aluminum insert, at night, is more subdued and looks like a standard divers watch.

I could not decide between the two. Yes, I purchased both. My first purchase was the acrylic PD3 with the 12 hour insert; the second was with the aluminum 12 hour insert. I am happy with both.

Now that's a solution Bill will like! :-!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Your opinion counts, you're a Blackwater & Graywater owner. What inserts on those?
Both my grey and black water have an aluminum bezel, but I’ve got a stingray w/ acrylic and it’s sweet. No doubt if I were in the market for a paradive I’d choose the acrylic.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts