WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Question] Jewelry Stores?

Lately I've been looking at buying a Baume et Mercier 10046.
I really want a B&M on the cheaper side so roughly 1,300.

I've been really nervous about buying a B&M this close to Cyber Monday. Anyway I went into a jewelry store (Mostly watches) on my walk home to see Baume et Mercier watches.

I spoke to the store dealer who offered %10 off. Thinking I was getting a good deal I asked for a figure. He offered the watch for under 4K.

What am I missing. Why the hell would anyone buy a watch for that when online it's over %75 off.

Best,
Matt

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
What am I missing? Jewelry stores rip you off?
Well, you're missing that you could probably have bargained a lot harder and got a better price. Grey-market sellers won't offer a factory warranty (and also cut corners on things like customer service) so their prices will always be lower, but you could certainly have done better from an authorized dealer than 10% off.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you're missing that you could probably have bargained a lot harder and got a better price. Grey-market sellers won't offer a factory warranty (and also cut corners on things like customer service) so their prices will always be lower, but you could certainly have done better from an authorized dealer than 10% off.
I'm not interested unless they can match online prices. I'm close to waiting till the holidays.
Thanks for the tip though if I ever go back I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Well, in all fairness....a good jewelry store will likely offer you a bottle of water while you browse. That's gotta be worth something, right?

But seriously....there are many components that factor in to the decision to buy from an AD vs GM; warranty, accessibility, customer service, "relationship" building...it's not always about price alone.

Now, in this particular case the AD seems a long way off...assuming it's the exact same model. But if that was his "opening" price and you didn't counter, you really don't know what he may have let it go for.

I think the bottom line is that many considerations need to be weighed, and in the end....sometimes the better price/savings trumps everything; sometimes not.

Lol, but in your shoes I'd be clickin' away for the savings.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Negotiating at the dealer level is complicated. If it's a big chain the staff likely has no authority to dicker on price. If you go to a small place and talk w/the owner or person that's been there forever they can work with you. If you're saving 75% on the web the choice is clear. Where it gets attractive to buy from a dealer is if we're talking 10-15% difference in price, warranty intact, etc.

Grey market dealers fly under the radar and are shady as hell in my opinion. The local AD that you go to likely supports local charities, his kids go to school w/yours, supports your local economy, etc. The NYC places with watches at 75% off are sleazy. Doesn't mean they're selling fakes though. If I was a consumer and I could save a couple grand by going grey, I'd do it too.

·
Registered
776 Posts
[Question] Jewelry Stores?

Lately I've been looking at buying a Baume et Mercier 10046.
I really want a B&M on the cheaper side so roughly 1,300.

I've been really nervous about buying a B&M this close to Cyber Monday. Anyway I went into a jewelry store (Mostly watches) on my walk home to see Baume et Mercier watches.

I spoke to the store dealer who offered %10 off. Thinking I was getting a good deal I asked for a figure. He offered the watch for under 4K.

What am I missing. Why the hell would anyone buy a watch for that when online it's over %75 off.

Best,
Matt
How are they ripping you off if they are giving you 10 percent off MSRP? If you want price only buy it online. and don't care about warranty or customer service just do that. For that kind of discount you can always by another watch if it breaks. I am guessing Baume and Merciers don't sell well at AD's so they end up being off loaded to gray market deals. Probably at a loss.

·
Premium Member
66,555 Posts
Another thing you're missing is that if it goes wrong you can nip to the ADs and bang your fist on the counter, something you can't do if you go grey. It's an expensive counter though.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Uhmm, it's $4350 MSRP available on Jomashop for $1299. How is this even a question - unless AD can get to $1700 (60% off) - there is no way I'm buying at the store. Buy GM and if there is any issue - return\replace immediately. if the watch is fine and passes a basic set of tests for 48 hrs - GM is the way to go.
Unless you think that a bottle of water, potential store relationship (next purchase they'll offer 15%) and a manufacturer warranty on a 7753 Valjoux are worth extra 200% of price or $2.6K.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Negotiating at the dealer level is complicated. If it's a big chain the staff likely has no authority to dicker on price. If you go to a small place and talk w/the owner or person that's been there forever they can work with you. If you're saving 75% on the web the choice is clear. Where it gets attractive to buy from a dealer is if we're talking 10-15% difference in price, warranty intact, etc.

Grey market dealers fly under the radar and are shady as hell in my opinion. The local AD that you go to likely supports local charities, his kids go to school w/yours, supports your local economy, etc. The NYC places with watches at 75% off are sleazy. Doesn't mean they're selling fakes though. If I was a consumer and I could save a couple grand by going grey, I'd do it too.
Agreed, considering discounts available w GM for this watch - I don't see anyone paying retail. Warranty loses it's meaning when you can get 3X watches from GM for price of one at the store.

Interesting point about supporting local businesses. Not quite convinced that support of local economy is true when buying at the store. Economy is increasingly global, so buying at Tourneau and Wempe - profits can end up anywhere (I understand and appreciate you have a true local store, but most chains that is not the case). And sales commission - never thought of it as a good way of helping local economy. Heck, I buy electronics and books on Amazon, and it basically pushed all local electronics and bookstores out of business. I'm ok w that - someone else local filled that gap.

·
Registered
40,165 Posts
Your guessing wrong.
How are they ripping you off if they are giving you 10 percent off MSRP? If you want price only buy it online. and don't care about warranty or customer service just do that. For that kind of discount you can always by another watch if it breaks. I am guessing Baume and Merciers don't sell well at AD's so they end up being off loaded to gray market deals. Probably at a loss.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Uhmm, it's $4350 MSRP available on Jomashop for $1299. How is this even a question - unless AD can get to $1700 (60% off) - there is no way I'm buying at the store. Buy GM and if there is any issue - return\replace immediately. if the watch is fine and passes a basic set of tests for 48 hrs - GM is the way to go.
Unless you think that a bottle of water, potential store relationship (next purchase they'll offer 15%) and a manufacturer warranty on a 7753 Valjoux are worth extra 200% of price or $2.6K.
+100

And beyond the 7 day return window (or whatever it is), if a problem develops just pay for proper service. I have never even factored a gray market warranty into my decision to buy or not. GM warranties are really hit or miss, according to what I read here. But I just figure that the money I save over AD pricing will pay for any service needed during the manufacturer's warranty period. In this case, you could pay for a lot of services with the money you're saving. If you make it past the manufacturer's warranty period (which statistics say you will), then you've locked in a huge savings.

I've bought some watches from an AD, but only when they can give me a good discount and have allowed me to handle their watches first. For this B&M, Jomashop here I come!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I agree. My only worry is after I read someone say "doggy parts" but I guess that's part of the risk...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I'm not interested unless they can match online prices.
Well, they can't, so you can save yourself some time. A brick-and-mortar authorized dealer has to pay rent, employees, insurance, taxes, blahblah, etc. A grey-market store is run out of garage with one or two underpaid employees at most. Customer service will range from inconsistent to terrible, and you won't get a factory warranty. If you're fine with that, then going grey will always be the lowest price. And most of the time -- almost all the time, really -- the results will be fine. But, you don't get to complain if something goes wrong with a GM purchase and you don't like how the seller handles it. That possibility is exactly where you saved your money.

That said, the difference often isn't much. Your problem at the AD wasn't their pricing, it was that you didn't try to negotiate. It's impossible for an AD to match GM pricing, but they often get quite close.

·
Registered
40,165 Posts
And the GM dealer may not have the watch, thinking back to Pacific Time and some others.
Well, they can't, so you can save yourself some time. A brick-and-mortar authorized has to pay rent, employees, insurance, taxes, blahblah, etc. A grey-market store is run out of garage with one or two underpaid employees at most. Customer service will range from inconsistent to terrible, and you won't get a factory warranty. If you're fine with that, then going grey will always be the lowest price. And most of the time -- almost all the time, really -- the results will be fine. But, you don't get to complain if something goes wrong with a GM purchase and you don't like how the seller handles it. That possibility is exactly where you saved your money.

That said, the difference often isn't much. Your problem at the AD wasn't their pricing, it was that you didn't try to negotiate. It's impossible for an AD to match GM pricing, but they often get quite close.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Some brands are available thru GM at remarkable discount, for some the difference is not so dramatic. When my wife and I were browsing a jeweler in Minneapolis, she saw a B&M that she really liked. Saleswoman offered 15% off the $2500 list. I took to the net to find prices there, thinking I might use a lower price from an AD or even a GM to assist in negotiation. I found that same model at Ashford for $769, and didn't even bother calling the jeweler back.

Two years later, she's very happy with the watch. I would have paid some extra for an authorized dealer who dealt with me personally, but for almost 3x what I paid, thank you, but no.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They actually did not have the model I was looking for 10046. So the salesmen said that he would to order it and he would not be able to negotiate as much.

I'm still worried about authenticity with J store but I'm going to go for it.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Buying across the counter makes sense sometimes. For me there is one important condition that must be met, the jeweler must be able to service the watch on site. I'm not saying this means I'll pay 3000.00 for something I can buy via the internet for 1700.00 but even if a store can come down to 2000.00 if they can't work on what they sell what's the point of buying across a counter. The first thing to establish is whether or not the guy who wants to sell you a watch can service that watch. If he can then you may start a negotiation on pricing.

Honestly I have only 2 watches bought from AD's both are Tag Heuers and both times I got a good deal. They are both quartz so service wasn't an issue. My autos have all came at good prices via online sellers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts