WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eyes set on the Damasko DC66. I thing it's one of the best Chronos out there in terms of looks (robust, clean design, functional, and not to thick/tall).

So... I am stuck choosing between the DC66 and the DC66 Si. The Si has the EPS Silicone spring, is a top grade 7750 regulated in 5 positions, and has ceramic ball bearings in the rotor.

The "Regular" DC66 is the mid level movement ---

Is the Si worth the additional $800 for a little more accuracy and shock resistance? I wear my Sinn 856UTC or a cheap digital sports watch kayaking, running, camping etc.

Thanks for your input!

D

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I have my eyes set on the Damasko DC66. I thing it's one of the best Chronos out there in terms of looks (robust, clean design, functional, and not to thick/tall).

So... I am stuck choosing between the DC66 and the DC66 Si. The Si has the EPS Silicone spring, is a top grade 7750 regulated in 5 positions, and has ceramic ball bearings in the rotor.

The "Regular" DC66 is the mid level movement ---

Is the Si worth the additional $800 for a little more accuracy and shock resistance? I wear my Sinn 856UTC or a cheap digital sports watch kayaking, running, camping etc.

Thanks for your input!

D
Nope. If you do the cost-benefit analysis, beyond fine finishing, no serious mechanical watch is worth it, you can get a $75 G-Shock that blows the best mechanical watches out of the water in terms of accuracy and durability. This hobby makes no sense if you focus purely on performance.

Since the two watches you are considering are finished the same, you have to decide if the slight performance benefit is worth it. With the Si option, you get a marvelous movement and serious bragging rights, which is worth at least some premium. Me, I'd probably go for the upgraded model - depends on what $800 means to you of course.

BTW, it's silicon, not silicone. Silicone is the rubbery caulk you use around windows, it makes for crappy balance springs :) .

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Absolutely. Go for it, you won't regret it. I did the SI upgrade on my DC67 and have been very happy that I did.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.. I meant silicon! Funny.

All good points here. As I get more and more into the hobby of watch collecting and hunting, My interests get narrower.... I like more tool oriented watches that are not shiny.. and have been unloading those types. I am just carefully weighing the $800 difference. That's the cost of another watch! If the difference were $300, it'd be a no brainer.

Apparently, the US AD for Damasko does not stock the Si and they are built to order or shipped to order... so I'd have to wait for 4 weeks minimum. Hmmm.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,704 Posts
Is there also an extensive improvement in accuracy?
Extensive ? Most probably not. Remarkable ? Possibly. The less affected the spring is to external influences such as shock, temperature and electromagnetic interference and a Si spring is, as I posted above, the more precise the movement will be.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Having owned both versions I’d have to say that there is more exclusivity in having the Si movement and it is very impressive when you look at the specifications but I didn’t find a huge difference in time keeping accuracy. I’ve always bought mine used on the forums so I didnt have to contend with that $800 difference 😀
You may want to consider posting a WTB for one?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*Double thumbs up*

Having owned both versions I’d have to say that there is more exclusivity in having the Si movement and it is very impressive when you look at the specifications but I didn’t find a huge difference in time keeping accuracy. I’ve always bought mine used on the forums so I didnt have to contend with that $800 difference ��
You may want to consider posting a WTB for one?

·
Registered
146 Posts
DC66SI and DC67 owner. Both are excellent. Both are very accurate. The SI is more exclusive if you are wanting something more unique but I haven't seen either in public. I bought the SI because of the red second hand and a good deal, but you could modify the second hand through Watchmann or Damasko and save some bucks. My SI is louder that the non SI with the 7750 wobble. If money was no concern I would get the SI with bracelet. If money was a concern I would buy the non SI and bracelet and bank the extra 100 bucks or get a Hirsch performance strap or two. My 67 and all my other non silicon Damasko's run very accurate that I wouldn't worry about top grade. The non SI will be easier to service if you are going with a local watch repair and probably cost less to service. Neither of mine have needed servicing yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DC66SI and DC67 owner. Both are excellent. Both are very accurate. The SI is more exclusive if you are wanting something more unique but I haven't seen either in public. I bought the SI because of the red second hand and a good deal, but you could modify the second hand through Watchmann or Damasko and save some bucks. My SI is louder that the non SI with the 7750 wobble. If money was no concern I would get the SI with bracelet. If money was a concern I would buy the non SI and bracelet and bank the extra 100 bucks or get a Hirsch performance strap or two. My 67 and all my other non silicon Damasko's run very accurate that I wouldn't worry about top grade. The non SI will be easier to service if you are going with a local watch repair and probably cost less to service. Neither of mine have needed servicing yet.
Good points! I am not going to sweat +3 vs +5 seconds a day.... I like that that the SI movement is regulated to 5 positions but I don't really go for "exclusive" and actually like the traditional look of the white second/counter hand better. If the movement was like Sinn's Diapal, then I might go for the extra $800. I am not "Mr. Exclusive watch guy"... so might just go for the regular watch as long as all the hands line up . :) Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a DC66 bought new in October 2016, waited 4-5 months from order date. My hands line up perfectly and it keep amazing time. My only minor gripe is that if you closely examine my hour hand, I can see a slight paint imperfection between the white and black line. If you are ordering from a dealer make a check list of items you want looked at before they send it to you, and have them email you pictures of the watch. I think you will overall be happy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My DC 56 Si when new, was quite erratic and the daily loss / gain varied. I monitored the average time keeping over each week and it was debatable whether it was within chronometer specifications.

After about a year, it started to always lose time, before settling down to a fairly consistent -15 seconds per day. I sent the watch back under warranty and after a few months wait, it came back. After the warranty work, the watch was keeping time better than one second per day and almost like wearing a quartz watch for accuracy.

So, although my experience with accuracy 'out of the box' wasn't great, the Si movement can be regulated to perform to a high standard and the warranty work covered this. Other benefits are the slightly long power reserve and it has a strong yet smooth feel when manually winding (I believe they use an improved main spring).

PS Unfortunately, my watch is still away (again) for another issue of rust on the case :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts