WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It's a nice bonus, but...

It's a nice bonus, but it is not very important to me. Most of my watches have tritium markers which have lost most or all of their luminous properties and I really don't mind it. It is true that a Seiko Monster glowing like a lighthouse all night is impressive, but I rarely need to look at my watch when it is pitch dark. And the few times I do, I wear a Seiko Monster... :-D

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

It's one of my pet peeves with my vintages: invariably the lume is really, really weak and it is a real pain to restore.

On new watches, it's a nice thing to have, and right now I don't have one that has really good lume. One of these days...

And yep, I remember pressing that light button until I got my first LCD watch with tritium backlighting that stayed on all night...

And I did have an LED watch for a few years that you had to press to read at all...what a hoot.

JohnF

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I need it. I have no use for it, but I gotta have it. Why? Just because I enjoy walking into a dark room and watching it glow.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have to admit that I really like seeing the lume on my watches when I walk inside after being outdoors. I prefer that my watches have great lume, but if I really like a watch then it is not a deal killer for me if it does not have super lume.

Len

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
its very important

i have sold watches before just because the lume is not up to my expectation.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Very important for me. I am a bad sleeper and knowing the time in the dark allows me to decide if it is time to get up and read/design before trying to sleep again, time to lie and try sleeping some more or time to get up and attack the new day. Sad I know, but all you guys out there who drop off the minute your head hits the pillow - I hate you all!! LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ilove it! Especially on my very bright Omega Watches:
(no need to tell which is which - the Dials are quite obvius)

But I love the Speedmaster most because its white during the day.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "cool factor"

When the room goes dark, so do my watch dials. Because my interest is more in vintage, the tritium markers have lost their luminosity many years ago, and it doesn't really bother me. For me, lume is generally a matter of "cool," rather than practical. There have been times when I wanted a little glow, and I grabbed my my Orange Monster, but then realized that I'd rather wear a chronograph (which, is partly an issue of "cool," too).

I can understand the draw of strong lume, and why people compare and contrast different watch lume, but it's not a priority to me.

On the other hand, I do have an old one that received fresh lume a couple years ago.

I had it done because the lume on the hands had faded to black, but it really is cool to see it glow.

eric

·
Registered
510 Posts
Why the obsession with lume, and how important is it to you?

eric
It's very important to me, especially since my eyes are getting worse with age. I find the lume increases legibility in most lighting situations, not just darkness. E.g. in bright sun, it will not wash out or look like black steel and in dimmer lighting, it "catches" the light. However, I prefer a watch with little or no lume (and no bezel) for dress occasions.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's not really important, but I like the look of a watch with a good lume. I recently bought a Marcello C. Tridente, which is great watch, but the lume was really, really poor. <|
Consquence: I started wearing my X-33 more and more untill now I wear it every day again. I'm even considering selling my Tridente because it just isn't giving me the buzz I like to have with a watch. And I have found out (the hard way) that lume is part of that buzz...:think:
It's complicated I guess... As I tried explaining this to my wife, she looked at me as if a Kookook had leapt from my forehead...:oops:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lume to me is very important!

I want my watch to do it's job...that is tell me what time it is whenever I look at it...night or day.

Plus it's cool! :-D

I bought a Black Monster just for the lume. You won't be disappointed.

But the watch with the best lume is my Damasko 57 with a full lume dial.

I always say...if it ain't got lume it ain't got soul. B-)

The Lumemeister,
Bezel

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
for good lume, go with modern seiko diver (SKX's, Tuna, MM), omega SMP, stowa prodive, citizen 1000m autozilla

what else? :)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I am a poor sleeper also and bought a 2254 SMP because of the great lume. It is my primary 'bedtime watch'. In fact, it is one of the few watches I have that does'nt need 'charged up' before I go to bed.
Buy I have wondered about the purpose of some older Omegas with lume on just the hands. I would'nt wear my 'birthyear' Seamaster(1953) to bed but even with new hands it would be confusing in the dark.
It is a liability though in that I have several vintage watches that I am contemplating sending in for re-luming just to inprove apperances. But first I have to resolve wether to switch to Superluminova or stay with Tritium (I guess radium is out of the question!)
Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be very interested to know what materials have been used for lume on Seamaster's and Speedmasters past and present if anyone could enlighten me (if you'll pardon the pun).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lume is one the most important factors in my watch buying decisions. With two small kids, I need to be able to see the time on my wrist when they continually awake throughout the night.

If I weren't so short-sighted, I could cope with a crappy lume watch, but in the middle of the night I don't have time to grab my glasses and check what time the alarm clock shows.

And yes, I love the 2254 for its excellent lume as well!!

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
i think omega use tritium in the past with the T marking on the dial (near SWISS MADE)

and now, as far as i know, SMP uses Super Luminova. you should be able to read all about tritium and SL on the web

1 - 20 of 34 Posts