WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have been thinking about getting my grail watch, a 90’s blue bond seamaster 300. Quartz or auto doesn’t matter, but i was hoping to get it from a reputable dealer or seller. Any recommendations? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Go to chrono24.com, search for the model number.

Find a dealer that's selling the watch you want, then come back here and search for the dealer to see how reputable they are, and what their transaction history is like.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Crown and Caliber has a whole bunch of them for sale right now. Yes, you'll pay a little more but if you want good customer service and peace of mind, it's worth it I think. Chrono24 is also a good place to look, you'll just have to do your homework on the seller.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought mine from Watchvaultnyc who is here in the sales corner. Although I purchased through their website. Everything went great, and would totally buy from them again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, i have been thinking about getting my grail watch, a 90’s blue bond seamaster 300. Quartz or auto doesn’t matter, but i was hoping to get it from a reputable dealer or seller. Any recommendations? Any help would be great. Thanks.

I would be careful with modern Omegas. I bought a brand new Omega Speedmaster chronograph on a blue leather strap in the late 1990s. It cost £850 which was a lot then and being a watch buff I looked it over thoroughly through a strong loupe expecting perfection - I was disappointed. The serial number was curved but did not match the profile of the motif on the case back. One of the sub dial hands had a tiny chip missing from the end of the pointer. The dial background was blue but there was a tiny thin in the paint near the word "Omega" where the silver was showing through. I removed the back carefully which was held in place with just a large plastic ring and the ETA movement contained at least one plastic part. The interior of the case back was ugly unfinished steel which still had bits of oil on it from the manufacturing process. Had I not bought it from a high street jeweller I could have mistaken it for a fake. At the same time I owned a 1950s Seamaster which was just fantastic quality throughout - even down to the engine turned finish inside the case. My advice is to look any purchase over very thoroughly as any imperfections will always be there and niggle at you as cosmetic problems cannot be put right. Or is it just me?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Crown and Caliber has a whole bunch of them for sale right now. Yes, you'll pay a little more but if you want good customer service and peace of mind, it's worth it I think. Chrono24 is also a good place to look, you'll just have to do your homework on the seller.
So I've been thinking about buying from Crown and Caliber and they seem to be a reputable operation. But one thing I've noticed is that a whole lot of the watches they are selling don't seem to come with box or papers. And the fact their account on this forum is banned?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So I've been thinking about buying from Crown and Caliber and they seem to be a reputable operation. But one thing I've noticed is that a whole lot of the watches they are selling don't seem to come with box or papers. And the fact their account on this forum is banned?
They also seem to sell used for new grey market prices. I found my Quartz Seamaster here on the forums for a great price. You just have to check often.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I have purchased many pieces from forum members on various watch forums without incident. I would find folks who have significant feedback and do your due diligence. I’m not a fan of paying excessive premiums.

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,326 Posts
If box and papers are important then pay extra and get them for peace of mind. If you want the best deal then skip them but make sure you research the hell out of the dealer and questions about their authentication process.

Insta: @officine_scrivano

·
Registered
131 Posts

FYI Exelonman just posted one up here in the sales corner

·
Registered
593 Posts
They are legit but most watch owners don’t know any better than to keep the box and papers. Plus, most watches that old sadly get separated from their box and papers. Are you sure they are banned from here? Seems odd, but I know from experience they are 100% legit and have had only good experiences with them. Also, buying from a trusted seller on here is fine, but they unfortunately don’t have the resources to service watches and fix minor problems. Just factor in a service cost with the price you buy it for. I’ve bought a few watches from trusted dealers on here and there were issues even though they were advertised as “perfect working order.”

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
Always buy the seller

Years ago I bought a watch I first thought was too-good-to-be-true priced from Rolexforums. The seller had impeccable references and the watch turned out to be genuine. It was a great buy at the time.

Sometimes you can find fantastic deals!

PS
Later the watch developed an issue and Omega service make it worse - that wasn't the sellers fault.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A quartz Omega will be cheaper to purchase and less expensive to maintain over the long haul. Like their mechanical counterparts, the quartz movement is virtually indestructible, but some people don't like them because, well, they're quartz. If you can get around that, a quartz Omega Bond era Seamaster may be your best buy right now, especially since Omega no longer makes a quartz Seamaster, so they're probably bound to be collectable. The prices of all Bond era Seamaster 300s have been trending up, especially in the past couple of years.

My advice would be to look at all the places mentioned above and get as many hi-res pictures of the watch as possible if you're buying online. I wouldn't worry too much about the boxes, they are widely available on ebay, along with card wallets and operating manuals. If the watch you buy comes with the certificate cards and hang tag you can get the rest of the kit for less than 100 bucks. I do like the watch I buy to have a visible serial number on the case, but that's just me.

Lots of valuable info on this site. Look at the articles on fake Omegas, they were very helpful to me. Look at lots of pictures of both new and used copies of this watch, learn how to recognize a watch that's been overly refinished vs. a watch that's been well taken care of. Look at the lug ends and bezels of a new Bond era Seamaster vs. a used one. If purchasing with a bracelet, get familiar with it also. Some of these watches are 15 years old now and have been refinished and serviced more than once, some a lot more.

For private purchase, like others, I have to recommend exelonman on this site. His ads have great pictures, along with information about the watch and a fairly accurate description. I have bought two Bond Seamasters from him and they were both as described, no surprises.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bought a nice SMPc on the forums here for a fantastic price. Lots of reseach before though — both on the watch in question and the seller is needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts