WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I buy a watch (Hamilton, Bulova, Mido, Longines, etc) (new, not used) from a brick-and-mortar store, does the watch comes in a sealed box? Or are the boxes all opened?

How about buying the watch (new, not used) online? Does the watch comes in a sealed box?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
What do you mean 'sealed' box? Like how an iPhone box is sealed in plastic out of the factory?

No, I don't think this is the case with watch boxes–at least not the ones I've had. Hence even with 'new' it's wise to double check the condition, contents, signed warranty etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean 'sealed' box? Like how an iPhone box is sealed in plastic out of the factory?

No, I don't think this is the case with watch boxes–at least not the ones I've had. Hence even with 'new' it's wise to double check the condition, contents, signed warranty etc.
Yes, like buying a cell phone, SSD external drive, etc , they all came sealed in a box.

So watches don't come in sealed box. Might be hard to tell if the watch is brand new or gently used for a newbie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never seen any that had a tamper proof seal
Frequently the watches ship to the dealer separately from the presentation box. The dealers take the watches out of the shipping packages and then put them into the presentation box before sale.
Thanks for the info. At least I know what to expect when I shop for a Hamilton or Longines, etc.

Since they are not sealed in a box, it may be easier to do returns if returns are allowed.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Yes, like buying a cell phone, SSD external drive, etc , they all came sealed in a box.

So watches don't come in sealed box. Might be hard to tell if the watch is brand new or gently used for a newbie.
Shouldn't be hard to tell if it's been worn. There are always going to be blemish on the metal bracelet if it's been sized. And certainly if the leather strap is used, it would be very obvious.

If you are buying it from an authorized dealer, I don't see why that would even be a concern. The dealer make money from selling new watches.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Thanks for the info. At least I know what to expect when I shop for a Hamilton or Longines, etc.

Since they are not sealed in a box, it may be easier to do returns if returns are allowed.
You should check with the store on return policy. It is very easy to tell if a watch has been worn or not if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
New watches do usually come wrapped in protective plastic and stickers, which can be very difficult if not impossible to put back on. Sometimes dealers will remove this at time of sale if you buy from a physical store. Sometimes for mail-order as well, though all of my mail order watches have had stickers and plastics intact. Watches in the display case, which are saleable inventory, also have plastics removed. If it has the plastics, it is almost certainly new.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Frequently the watches ship to the dealer separately from the presentation box. The dealers take the watches out of the shipping packages and then put them into the presentation box before sale.
Correct.

When I bought my Omega from the boutique, I watched the SA open the sealed clear plastic package my watch came in from the factory. The presentation box was separate.

Reactions: pentel

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The more expensive the watch the greater the chance of it being sealed, Patek Philippe do this, see below for it being cut open for a new customer. Rolex I believe ship in a box which then gets opened by the dealer who places it in the presentation box, I think the shipping box is called a 'coffin', as for the brands you mention they will simply be in their presentation boxes.

Watch White Automotive lighting Analog watch Silver

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
When I buy a watch (Hamilton, Bulova, Mido, Longines, etc) (new, not used) from a brick-and-mortar store, does the watch comes in a sealed box? Or are the boxes all opened?

How about buying the watch (new, not used) online? Does the watch comes in a sealed box?
Product boxes are never sealed. A new watch should have its bracelet wrapped, and will probably have plastic sticker over the crystal, maybe over the caseback as well. Most online shops specify "unworn." that means no plastic is removed. You can slip the whole thing over your wrist, see how it looks, and if you don't like it, send it back.

Start taking any of the protective plastic off, removing or sizing the bracelet, etc, and all bets are off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New watches do usually come wrapped in protective plastic and stickers, which can be very difficult if not impossible to put back on. Sometimes dealers will remove this at time of sale if you buy from a physical store. Sometimes for mail-order as well, though all of my mail order watches have had stickers and plastics intact. Watches in the display case, which are saleable inventory, also have plastics removed. If it has the plastics, it is almost certainly new.
Good info on the protective plastic and stickers. Are watches in the display case, which are obviously "opened" sold on a reduced price? (Based on buying electronics, opened boxes and display sets are sold at a reduced price)

Edit: Question on reduced priced for "opened" box watches answered by another user.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't going buying the demonstration model. The watch they leave out so people can run their sticky fingers over it.

Ask for an, "Unopened" watch. If they don't have one. Ask for 30% discount or you walk.
This is very good info, appreciate this tip that there is such a thing as "demonstration model" and demonstration model can be discounted.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This is very good info, appreciate this tip that there is such a thing as "demonstration model" and demonstration model can be discounted.
I've purchased a Marathon CSAR that was used as a demonstrator at some show. People cranked every knob. Bought in 2021, but was a 2019. Less life on the Tritium. Around $700 cheaper then a new MSRP.

The dealer was straight forward and outright saying. This watch is a Demo.

Here's where I got it,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts