WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been considering buying either the Flieger Classic 40 or the Flieger Classic Sport (43mm) in the near future.

If I do so, I would probably be upgrading to the manual wind Sellita SW215-1 movement, which, if I am correct is an available option in both these models.

My question is; is this movement hackable?

I tried reading the FAQ on the Stowa site, and this is the info on the Sellita SW215-1:

SW 215 handwound Top
  • rhodium plated movement bridge with Cotes de Genève stripes, pearl finish
  • Incabloc shock protection
  • min. 42 hrs power reserve
  • 28 800 half vibrations per hour (4 HZ)
  • Regulation from 0 up to plus 10 sec. divergence per day
(please keep in mind that during the "aging process" of the clock movement the bearing oil can become stiff, and your watch slower. If this circumstance disturbs you or the watch looses time a service of the clock movement will be necessary.
Our recommendation is every 4-5 years but it is also possible that your watch is working correctly for 6, 7 or even more years).
  • barrel spring Nivaflex
  • gold-plated Glucydur balance
  • max. amplitude 315 degrees
  • min. amplitude 200 degrees
  • 19 pallets of synthetic rubin

No mention on whether the movement hacks, hence my question.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thank you. Good to hear, and doubt I'd buy a manual/hand wind watch without the ability to hack the second hand.
Some of the nicest handwound movements, such as the Peseux 7001 don't hack. So you'll miss out if you're too strict with that rule.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Some of the nicest handwound movements, such as the Peseux 7001 don't hack. So you'll miss out if you're too strict with that rule.
Not only this but rarely does ever, even in medicine, need time closer than to the current minute. I'll also say that there are tricks like the "poor man's hack" that can simulate a hack on watches without one.

So I agree with @Buramu and don't miss out!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not only this but rarely does ever, even in medicine, need time closer than to the current minute. I'll also say that there are tricks like the "poor man's hack" that can simulate a hack on watches without one.

So I agree with @Buramu and don't miss out!
But what if we need to synchronize watches with our SWAT team?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
But what if we need to synchronize watches with our SWAT team?
"But Sgt. my watch said I still had 38s before we rush the house"

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
What is the poor man’s hack? sounds like (affordable) fun...
A "poor man's hack" is an old trick formerly reserved for those who could not afford the extra complication to precisely set their time and /or movement was not compatible with a hack. Back then this was extremely normal for calendar watches.

Anywhoo, you slowly but positively put backwards turning pressure on the crown and most movements will slowly come to a halt or quiver inside a small margin.

·
Registered
244 Posts
A "poor man's hack" is an old trick formerly reserved for those who could not afford the extra complication to precisely set their time and /or movement was not compatible with a hack. Back then this was extremely normal for calendar watches.

Anywhoo, you slowly but positively put backwards turning pressure on the crown and most movements will slowly come to a halt or quiver inside a small margin.
While I do that with my Seikos, I'm hesitant to do that with my Antea KS. I don't know if it would have any adverse effect on the movement, but I'd rather not find out. What I do is, when the watch is stopped, I'll keep an eye on time.is and start winding a couple of seconds before the website time and the second hand coincide. Works pretty good. Of course, once it's running, adjusting the time isn't an option with this method.

Reactions: JacobC

·
Registered
67 Posts
A pilot watch without hacking would be like a diver watch without any water resistance (yes I know that the cheaper Lacos use a non hacking movement)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts