WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often found this watch interesting but I've heard on various forums that it goes through batteries pretty often. Can any owners comment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,485 Posts
brettbarnes1 said:
I have often found this watch interesting but I've heard on various forums that it goes through batteries pretty often. Can any owners comment?
I've had no problems.John Wilson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
brettbarnes1 said:
I have often found this watch interesting but I've heard on various forums that it goes through batteries pretty often.
I have never heard about that...:think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
brettbarnes1 said:
Can any owners comment?
Now I can... :-(

I bought my X-33 in January 2004. I wore it almost everyday since then, using most of the features several times a day, alarm in the morning, countdown timers all over the day, backlight whenever I needed it, which was very often. Today I pushed the backlight button but all that happened was the second hand switching to end-of-life indication and thus jumping every 5 second now.

Unfortunately I can't say how long the watch was already running with this battery when I bought it.

BTW: Did anyone change the battery himself yet? I'm planning to do this now (first have to google for the battery type, I only have CR2016 lying around).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,485 Posts
zaphod said:
Now I can... :-(

I bought my X-33 in January 2004. I wore it almost everyday since then, using most of the features several times a day, alarm in the morning, countdown timers all over the day, backlight whenever I needed it, which was very often. Today I pushed the backlight button but all that happened was the second hand switching to end-of-life indication and thus jumping every 5 second now.

Unfortunately I can't say how long the watch was already running with this battery when I bought it.

BTW: Did anyone change the battery himself yet? I'm planning to do this now (first have to google for the battery type, I only have CR2016 lying around).
Screws are small,watch out! They are about $2.33 each.Get all the screws loose,leave them in the backcase,lift out the back with all screws still in.I find a cap that's a smaller diameter,also a little high,and put the back on it. You will also have a second domed back,it sit's (or floats)on a gasket,look along the edge of the batt,you'll see a notch,put in a small screw driver,flip it out.Make sure you have the dome back centered. You will have to redo time,date.John Wilson http://www.swatchbattery.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Thank you very much for your help John, will try this tomorrow evening and post about my (hopefully) success.B-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,485 Posts
zaphod said:
Thank you very much for your help John, will try this tomorrow evening and post about my (hopefully) success.B-)
E-mail me if you need to,but I think you'll be OK. John Wilson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Only had Omega Uk change the battery after I bought my first generation X-33 off of Ebay. Since then, I have the alarm going off each morning (it's the only one that wakes me up, it's that loud!), have the backlight on often at night and have even used it as a flashlight when needed, and it's still going strong after a year.

The battery is supposed to last 24 months with normal use of alarm and backlight (not sure wat is meant by normal use...maybe once a day for each:-S) or 36 months without the use of the alarm and backlight, according to the manual. Maybe all those reporting the battery becoming drained too quickly bought pre-owned or a new watch that had been at the dealer's for a long time?

Love my X-33 because it's a great watch when you're travelling and the alarm is the loudest I have ever heard on a quartz watch of any kind. Just wish that the WR was greater than 30m.....most pilot's watches are atleast 50m. Guess the lack of water in space meant compromising on the WR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Zaphod,

According to Omega, the battery is not meant to last longer than 24 months if the alarm and backlight are used regularly (no use of the alarm and backlight means 36 months of battery life). So you actually got more out of the battery than Omega's apparently conservative estimate. You almost got 31 months, given you bought the watch in Jan 2004 and used the alarm, etc far more than most would. So I think the reports of the battery becoming drained too quickly on the model is exaggerated imho.

I'll be interested to see how you get along with replacing the battery yourself and what battery is in the watch. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Stala said:
You almost got 31 months, given you bought the watch in Jan 2004 and used the alarm, etc far more than most would. So I think the reports of the battery becoming drained too quickly on the model is exaggerated imho.


Yes, you are right, I thought about it and I'm satisfied with 31 month.:-!
After all changing the battery (CR2320) was no big deal, I don't mind doing this every 2 years or so.

Stala said:
I'll be interested to see how you get along with replacing the battery yourself and what battery is in the watch. Good luck!
Next post...;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Here I am again, sorry to keep you waiting but I was a little short on time for the last days.
Now battery change, here we go:



When the idea of taking some photos came to my mind I already had the watch open. I did it exactly the way John described and I'm happy not to have fiddled with those tiny screws.



First I carefully removed the gasket which looked like new all around, good thing cause I wouldn't have had a replacement.



Here the new battery is already inserted, forgot to take a photo without battery though. The battery is hold by some copper spring contact which really applies some pressure so it wasn't that easy to get it out and the new one in (at least I thought it would have been easier).



After some cleaning I put the gasket back in, first I applied some silicon lube to it which made fitting very easy.



Now the domed inner back carefully set on top of the gasket. It sits higher on one side because of another copper spring contact which has to be pressed down with the caseback.



Now the caseback. Due to the writing and logo it is fairly easy to fit it exactly over the screwholes, easier than it might look.



The screws themselves are very tiny and I first turned them counterclockwise until I feeled a "click", then I knew they just fitted in right and I turned clockwise very slow and carefully. After turning one in I always turned the opposite one next. when all screws were in I turned them on with little force one by one.



All done, backlight functioning normal again and end-of-life indication has gone for a few years. I will reset time and date this evening cause I'm in a little hurry now.



And here it is again back on a strap, not sure but maybe I'll fit the titanium bracelet for next week, however: I love this watch! :)


Thank you John for your advices!:-!


BTW: As you might have noticed I'm a real poor photographer, but I don't mind. :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Ahoi guys!

Just to keep you up to date: as you read above I changed my X-33's battery on around August 19th. Now look closely at this picture:



Found it? Exactly! I dared to replace a japanese Energizer battery with a chinese no-name CR2320. Not the best decision I made as the EOL on my X-33 came back on YESTERDAY... no 2 months later and this thing is empty again. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
zaphod said:
I dared to replace a japanese Energizer battery with a chinese no-name CR2320. Not the best decision I made as the EOL on my X-33 came back on YESTERDAY... no 2 months later and this thing is empty again. :roll:
Hey... It was good as a practice run. :-D
 

·
G-Shock Mod
Joined
·
14,000 Posts
great photos

this got me thinking ... maybe i can live with a X-33 and DIY battery change too :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
stockae92 said:
great photos

this got me thinking ... maybe i can live with a X-33 and DIY battery change too :-D
Thank you!:)

I did the second battery change last week in no time, piece of cake now.:-!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
My Omega X-33 is slow.

My Omega looses about 2 seconds a week. I would rather like it to be fast or spot on of course. Is there a way for me to adjust the movement? Some older Omega Quartz watches like the Marine Chronometer have a +/- screw inside. Does anybody have any experience here please?

PS
Thanks for those great pictures on the battery change. I will do it myself and save a lot of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Re: My Omega X-33 is slow.

My Omega looses about 2 seconds a week. I would rather like it to be fast or spot on of course. Is there a way for me to adjust the movement? Some older Omega Quartz watches like the Marine Chronometer have a +/- screw inside. Does anybody have any experience here please?
Unfortunately I don't know anything about adjusting the movement, but there's a service manual for the Omega 1666 movement on Chuck Maddox' site, maybe you find it in there:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/omega/manuals/service/1666/cal_1666_service_manual.html
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top