WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In case we chose this version of the Recon GMT, I think that we should use BG W9 lume as it would have a cleaner look, instead of C3 lume.

I look forward to your input. Thanks

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
My experience with the BG W9 lume has not been very good. It is not very bright and holds a charge for a VERY short time compared to C3(in my experience). It would be a mistake IMHO.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
In my experience BG W9 is acceptable, although not the champion of the night that C3 is. It will certainly make for a more crisp looking dial in the daylight, and the lume will last through the night even though it's not blinding like C3.

If the watches main function is not to be a dive watch then I think BG W9 is a good choice. But for dive watches I think only the brightest will do, which currently happens to be C3.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree, the all white is never charged long enough. Personally, I would try to get my hands on some of the Seiko/Orient Star lume (not sure if that is the same as C3) and completly cover the markers and hands so that is the only color. The problem always comes about because the outline of the the marker and hands is white and the lume yellowish. I love to see some silver outlined markers and silver hands with lume like my Seiko MM 300.

Sinn U1 has a nice clean look, but it won't last too long...

Love the silver markers and hands with the STRONG lume:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I may be completely wrong, but I thought Sinn used C1 on their U series. The BG W9 on my O7 is very good, I have no problems reading it during the night, so my opinion on BG W9 has always been favorable. I cannot confirm if the Citizen Eco-Zilla uses BG W9, but it looks the same as the O7 but with a thicker application that is the strongest of all of my watches.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
I may be completely wrong, but I thought Sinn used C1 on their U series. The BG W9 on my O7 is very good, I have no problems reading it during the night, so my opinion on BG W9 has always been favorable. I cannot confirm if the Citizen Eco-Zilla uses BG W9, but it looks the same as the O7 but with a thicker application that is the strongest of all of my watches.
Maybe it is a difference between runs of the different models, but my LM-6c had lume that was less than favorable IMHO

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Jason,

I'm sure there may be inconsistent application on some watches. Somewhere on one of the forums (DWF maybe) there is a chart that compares the performance of SL types/colors with C3 being the standard. You may have seen this, I'll see if I can find it. BGW9 was the best in relation to C3 and its performance was rated as 95% the brightness and duration of C3, which is pretty impressive. It is not a true white color like the lume on Sinn watches, more of a white with a very slight grey tint to it, which may be why it is not used more.
*Found it on the O7 Forum*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts