WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I picked up this 1950s GP a week or so ago and while I'm (not so patiently) waiting for it to arrive, I have a question.

I want to refurb the dial, but as it's original I want to preserve as much as I can. So my question: is that possible? I have no idea how refurbs work. Do you have to strip it and start all over? Or can you just kind of clean it up? I wouldn't mind a few spots, I think that gives it character, but as is there's a bit too much "character" for me :)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Pic for reference, image not mine - but this is the actual watch.

GP.jpg

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yeah, in a case like this, a cleaning will not do much. That leaves a full strip down to base metal and repaint. I've heard good things about International Watch Works.

Photos of your actual watch would help. Is the movement in good condition? No coorosion?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pic in the OP is the actual watch - sorry for the confusing wording. The movement was listed as working, and it looked fine in the pics but I'll definitely have my guy clean it since I don't know the last time it was serviced.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Keep the dial as is. Cleaning a dial sometimes leads to further damage, even when done carefully. Refinishing ruins originality, and you said you like to preserve originality. Ultimately it's up to you.

Considering the fact that when your Girard Perregaux was made it was considered a low-cost alternative to LeCoultre/ Longines/ Omega/ Universal etc., I doubt a refinished dial will affect the value or desirability.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Thanks for the input! I knew that when I got it I didn't want to redo the entire dial, but didn't know if it was possible to clean it up a bit. It seems like that may not be a good idea, and now that it's here I'm sure I'm just going to leave it be. I like the age spots much more than I thought I would.

Again, thanks for the advice and if you're interested I posted pics in the main forum.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Do notbforget to have it serviced before you use it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts