WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how long would a Tough Solar battery last before the rechargeable battery needs replacement? 10 years? 20 years?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Just how long would a Tough Solar battery last before the rechargeable battery needs replacement? 10 years? 20 years?
If you search this forum you'll find many different answers as we've discussed this topic many times. But truth to be told no one realy knows for sure. Technology simply hasn't been around long enough.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
plus 1 on that.

There's a thread at the moment saying that tough solar is in trouble against 10 year battery life in non-solar G's (provided of course you don't use your alarms or EL ever :D) but its just an assertion - gonna have to wait another few years to see what the real capabilities are.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
On the other hand I have trouble keeping a watch longer than 6 month... let alone 10 years...:-d

One more reason I always find solar / atomic discussions funny on a WIS forum... :-d

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd say the highest probability is that the tough-solar storage battery will last longer than the resin. :roll:

I say this purely because I have a DW-5600C whose resin bezel has turned, essentially, to dust. Yet it is still on its original battery, which will actually still fire the little light on the side (before EL) without pushing the watch into reset mode.

I'd much rather see Casio come out with more all-metal G's (digital versions) than keep playing around with ABC's and tough-movements and all that. 'Course, based on recent events, they'd probably cost a fortune. BUT, I wouldn't bat an eye to pay more for a metal-digital G that I know is going to outlast its batteries.

Sorry, rant mode off.... where was I? :rodekaart

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I'd say the highest probability is that the tough-solar storage battery will last longer than the resin. :roll:

I say this purely because I have a DW-5600C whose resin bezel has turned, essentially, to dust. Yet it is still on its original battery, which will actually still fire the little light on the side (before EL) without pushing the watch into reset mode.

I'd much rather see Casio come out with more all-metal G's (digital versions) than keep playing around with ABC's and tough-movements and all that. 'Course, based on recent events, they'd probably cost a fortune. BUT, I wouldn't bat an eye to pay more for a metal-digital G that I know is going to outlast its batteries.

Sorry, rant mode off.... where was I? :rodekaart
+1 for the Rasin riot.

Mind you , one can tell that there is a HUGE difference between Rasin used as little as 2-3 years ago and now... not sure if the "new" Rasin is also prone to "Rasin riot" as older models...

On a subject of Metal G: Also +1 but there is a cavet... while metal braclet is completely imnue to "Rasin riot" it's also one that will look like a "total c.ap" as little as 6 month after purchase because of scraches that will pick along the way... Rasin does not have this problem.

Still... I think that all digital, all metal G are sadly missing from a collection...

I'd love to see something like all metal 5600... now THAT would be cool. :-!

·
Banned
262 Posts
I don't think anyone knows how long they will last. I'll say this, though. My G2800 is always charged. It sees plenty of light every day (including a lot of sunlight) and goes into power save mode at night.

I think that Casio says that they can run for 9 months with a full battery. I'm not sure if that is with power save or not.

I doubt that my battery ever drops below a 99% charge.

There isn't a lot of power cycling going on, that's for sure. I bet that the battery outlasts the watch.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
On a subject of Metal G: Also +1 but there is a cavet... while metal braclet is completely imnue to "Rasin riot" it's also one that will look like a "total c.ap" as little as 6 month after purchase because of scraches that will pick along the way... Rasin does not have this problem.
Resin certainly does not have THAT problem. However, I'm not sure all the metal bracelets have that problem. I have several metal-braceleted watches that have seen plenty of wear and do not look like c**p.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts