WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a person who has Rolex watches but not Tudor/Omega watches,

I would like to know a bit more about the difference in quality, craftsmanship, finesse and finish and ability of the watch to last a long time, between Tudor watches and Omega watches.
I am aware of the technical differences but qualitative answers also are important for me to understand.

Of course it can't be generalised completely, as models differ, but perhaps a BB58 or Pelagos to Seamaster.
It is always interesting to listen to experiences and opinions of those who actually own the watches vs only handling them in stores (which gives a good idea of the quality but not the whole story)

Regards

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
I would only do "vintage" or lets say "classic" Tudor or Omega. Nothing from either's new line appeals to me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would only do "vintage" or lets say "classic" Tudor or Omega. Nothing from either's new line appeals to me.

View attachment 15831775
Hey Mickey. Amazing collection of watches.

Unfortunately I am not well versed with older models, but I'll start looking into them.

The Speedmaster in the centre is really eye catching.

What do you feel about the BlackBay58, is it all hype or there is substance to it?

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Hey Mickey. Amazing collection of watches.

Unfortunately I am not well versed with older models, but I'll start looking into them.

The Speedmaster in the centre is really eye catching.

What do you feel about the BlackBay58, is it all hype or there is substance to it?
Out of all of them its the best Black Bay watch as its 39mm and 11.9mm thick. The others at 41mm and almost 15mm thick are not for me.
Also I've never been a fan of the new crowns on Tudor...just put a crown on the watch don't over think/design it. Its like they just couldn't stop tinkering and the 12 o'clock PIP nice but they had to keep going and put a red triangle and they lose me.

Thats just me your milage may vary.

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
Coming from a person who has Rolex watches but not Tudor/Omega watches,

I would like to know a bit more about the difference in quality, craftsmanship, finesse and finish and ability of the watch to last a long time, between Tudor watches and Omega watches.
I am aware of the technical differences but qualitative answers also are important for me to understand.

Of course it can't be generalised completely, as models differ, but perhaps a BB58 or Pelagos to Seamaster.
It is always interesting to listen to experiences and opinions of those who actually own the watches vs only handling them in stores (which gives a good idea of the quality but not the whole story)

Regards
Questions between brands such as you have just presented tend to produce discord sooner than later. Quality, craftsmanship, finesse and finish are attributes that tend to be reflected in the listed MSRP as a general rule. By comparing those quantitative numbers you should have your qualitative answer(s). That said, both Tudor and Omega make fine products.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Questions between brands such as you have just presented tend to produce discord sooner than later. Quality, craftsmanship, finesse and finish are attributes that tend to be reflected in the listed MSRP as a general rule. By comparing those quantitative numbers you should have your qualitative answer(s). That said, both Tudor and Omega make fine products.
Yes I understand. I don't mean to start a competitive discussion wherein comments try to one-up the other brand, but I can understand how the question could lead to that.

I guess I was just asking to know if there's anything I may have missed while looking into the products themselves, just as I would ask a friend in a casual way of how they feel about the quality of two leading watchmakers.
Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

·
Registered
210 Posts
I own a Seamaster DIver 300M and Tudor Heritage Black Bay 41 Red. They are both great watches, and fit and finish are comparable. From a purely technical standpoint, the Omega is far more advanced than the Tudor, although in my experience accuracy is about the same (excellent) on both. Ceramic bezel insert on the Omega; aluminum on the Tudor. Quick adjust bracelet on the Omega. I would not give up one to buy the other. They both have a unique place in my collection, even though they are both divers.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Until recently (2015) all movements in Tudor watches were made by the Omega mothership - the swatch group (ETA movements) so one can argue the longevity would be equal until then. The new Tudor movements are only around for 6 years - similar to some of the new, fully omega developed calibers. So the jury’s still out on how they fare long term.

I happily wear them both as long as they are blue.

·
Registered
450 Posts
OP, I don't own any Rolex, and have only handled them in ADs several times, so I won't be able to compare Omega/Tudor to Rolex, but I do own 3 Tudors and an Omega, so I can speak to the quality of those brands. I have 2 BB58s, a GMT and an Omega SMP 300M, so I can only really talk about those watches specifically, since like the Rolex, I've only handled others (Pelegos, Chrono, etc.) in ADs or boutiques...

IMO both Tudor and Omega make fantastic watches, and consider them keeper-level timepieces that I will have in my collection forever. I'm no expert, and like I said, haven't owned a Rolex yet, but the build quality/finishing is wonderful on both brands. All of the watches I am about to discuss have interesting transitions between brushed and polished surfaces on the case, and I have no complaints about quality.

BB58: Obviously I like this watch, as I own it in both colorways. The black dial was my first "luxury" watch, and I love it. The gold-tone hands and gilt coloring on the dial and the creamy-colored lume might not be for everyone, but they work for me. Also, I really love the small detail of the red triangle around the lume pip. The size is pretty awesome, and this watch just kind of melts into your wrist. There are times where I don't even know I'm wearing it because of the comfort.

The blue one presents completely differently to me, as it's totally clean and refreshing. The blue color is fantastic, and having the lume true white rather than the creamy color on the black dial makes it really pop. Despite the color, this one gives me more of a no date sub vibe than the black/gilt one does.

GMT: This is the newest addition to my collection, as I only picked it up at my AD 3 days ago, so not much track record, but so far I love it. I envision this being my vacation/travel watch since it's basically a dive watch (same 200m water resistance as the BB58s), but also adds the GMT function. This one is a little bigger than the BB58s, but fits my wrist well. A lot has been made of the thickness, but it doesn't bother me at all. People say it's 15mm thick, but I measured it with my calipers, and it was 14.3 or 14.4... Obviously thicker than the others, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I would have liked it on a bracelet, but they only had leather or nato at my AD. I just ordered a Vanguard rubber strap so I can wear it in the water on the weekends, or vacations this summer. To have a true gmt function on a watch in this price category, basically makes this Tudor unrivaled.

Omega SMP 300M: I was looking for a white dial sports watch and was most interested in an older Rolex Explorer II (the 16570 that was discontinued in 2011). I went to a boutique that had a couple examples of that watch, but they also had this Omega. I'd seen a ton of pictures on the forums, etc. and I'd always liked it, but seeing it up close was a game changer for me - the wave dial was just so interesting. Seeing the 2 watches side-by-side, I preferred the new Omega (with a more robust movement, etc.) over the neo-vintage Rolex. The skeleton hands aren't for everyone, and to be honest, they're not my favorite, but everything else on the watch was so great, it made up for the fact that I didn't love the hands.

In terms of build, this watch uses some nicer materials than the Tudors - it's got the ceramic bezel instead of aluminum, and it has a display caseback, which is kind of cool. This one is slightly bigger than the Tudors, and for whatever reason it feels a little more rugged to me, which is just my personal opinion. This one also comes in a black dial, blue dial and chrome dial, which are all pretty great. I tried on the black and blue, and I really liked them - I was just looking for something with a white dial, so this one worked for me.

I hope you find what I've written helpful. Good luck finding an Omega or a Tudor. I don't think you can go wrong with either...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Out of all of them its the best Black Bay watch as its 39mm and 11.9mm thick. The others at 41mm and almost 15mm thick are not for me.
Also I've never been a fan of the new crowns on Tudor...just put a crown on the watch don't over think/design it. Its like they just couldn't stop tinkering and the 12 o'clock PIP nice but they had to keep going and put a red triangle and they lose me.

Thats just me your milage may vary.

View attachment 15831799
Mickey, I'm going to send you my BB58, but you have to wear it for a month straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
When looking long-term, I always think about parts availability. I imagine Omega sells a lot of SMPs and Speedmasters and that they will continue to be staples well into the future. So parts should be there.

I don’t think the Omegas are ahead of Tudor technically. Amazing amagnetic properties. But Tudors have longer power reserve, higher beat rate, and the date changes instantly. Not as amagnetic, but they do have a silicone hairspring. And if you get a Pelagos, you get the adjustable bracelet and ceramic bezel.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
One thing I will say is you better get a good discount when you buy an Omega and not so much with Tudor MSRP works usually.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I never find it too useful to compare brands like that, only because each of them offer so many different models.

If you are looking for a dive watch, you will also find that the Seamaster tends to get more posh than in years past. So if you want more of a rugged style tool watch, the Pelagos and the BB would likely appeal to you more.

Of instead you want the watch to get more of a jewelry, then certainly Omega Seamaster would likely fit that role better.

In other words, maybe the Omega is too "polished" in some instances

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
Adrian of Bark & Jack has a pretty good video where he compares the Pelagos to the Seamaster Diver 300, discussing the differences in style and workmanship.
This Bark & Jack video pretty much illustrates exactly what I said earlier regarding relative values between the two brands. Both the Pelagos and Seamaster Diver 300 offer decent value for the money although the Omega is no doubt a superior product that is reflected by its higher MSRP.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts