WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks:

Lately I've started to feel the urge to get a Seiko diver. Was wondering what the general opinion was as to Seiko's divers?

Any comment is welcome, as well as suggestions as to specific models.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Seiko make the some of the best/best value dive watches in the world. Not only are they fine watches, but in every sense they are real dive tools. Along with Rolex and Omega, I regard them as part of the trinity of most important dive watch manufacturers of all time, although Doxa fans may try to convince you otherwise.;-) The only downside that I have experienced (and it is a common observation) is that some of the auto movements in the lower-end models can be a bit erratic. I retired my 200M auto earlier this year as it was running +10-20 seconds a day, and getting worse over time.

My personal faves are the Japan-only models. Fortunatley, there are a couple of very highly regarded Japanese AD's who will ship worldwide, so getting hold of them is not an issue. I currently have the SBBN007, rather ingloriously referred to by most as the "Tuna Can." It is an exceptional watch, and at <$400 shipped from Japan, by far the best value of any watch I have ever owned. The MarineMaster is next on my list, and is a fabulous auto that rivals any Swiss-powered diver two or three times the price.

Buy with confidence - whether a US model from a US AD, or directly from Japan.:-!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I really have a hard time finding fault with any of my Seiko divers, for the price don't think they can be beat.

I would have to say that the SKX007 is the most "classic" of the current line, being a descendant of original Seiko divers.

Best of luck on your Seiko search, Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not much else to add to the previous comments except "ditto". Also I posted a link to an InSync article that discussed the reliability of the Seiko movements. I posted it in this forum and the Seiko forum. Maybe that will help your decision.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Hey RS, can't fault them at all!
I don't own one right now, unless you count the BM I bought for my son, but I owned a few before and would like to again.
I loved my rare 200M Seiko Titanium 40th Ed Diver, my Titanium Black face Sammy- they were awesome watches , and then I found the "Boss" an added it to the list of Seikos that rock!:-!
Regards
Robert

G

·
I've been very impressed with all Seiko's I've had so far. The price/quality ratio is very hard to beat.

This one I gave to my dad, he was very happy with it,

/Stefan

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
VERY nice watches and photo's Stefan!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
I currently have 2 Seiko Divers, an orange titanium 'samurai' and the model pictured here. Both have the same movement, however the SKX actually keeps better time (+/- 5 sec/day). I have no complaints with my divers, actually looking to add another to the watch box.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
With the quality record proven over and over, great selection of styles and affordable price, I think you will have fun choosing your first one and the odds are - it will not be the last:-!

MarineMaster is definetly my "grail" watch. One day I will own it, but in the meantime;-)

SS Black Samurai:

Orange Monster

Black Monster Modded

Big Boss Kinetic

·
6,880 Posts
Definitely one of the best watches you can buy for the money. Hands down.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First off - thank you to everyone that replied. I appreciate your advice and opinions.
Secondly - Stefan, which model is the watch in the first photo? Is that the 6309?
That is an amazing looking watch :-! . I really do like the Marine Master, too.
Can you, or anyone else, suggest a good online source to buy from?

Thanks again,

I've been very impressed with all Seiko's I've had so far. The price/quality ratio is very hard to beat.

This one I gave to my dad, he was very happy with it,

/Stefan

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
First off - thank you to everyone that replied. I appreciate your advice and opinions.
Secondly - Stefan, which model is the watch in the first photo? Is that the 6309?
That is an amazing looking watch :-! . I really do like the Marine Master, too.
Can you, or anyone else, suggest a good online source to buy from?

Thanks again,
That's a 6105 if I'm not mistaken!

I'll add a ditto to everyone above, Seiko make a great watch for the money. I've had a few (Monster, Samurai, 007 and an A35), and I've settled with a 6309 these days which I'm currently loving :)

You'll easily find one to suit you :-!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
...Can you, or anyone else, suggest a good online source to buy from? Thanks again,
I have used princetonwatches.com here in the US - an AD with good prices and service.

I have purchased twice from Katsu-san at Higuchi in Japan. His reputation and service are second to none. He can supply the MarineMaster. Go to higuchi-inc.com, and click through to the English-language section of his site.

Hope this helps.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts