WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, after looking as some of the great Alphas knocking about these parts I decided to take the plunge to see what all the fuss was about.

I ordered the black 'Submariner' from Alpha's wesite and paid through PayPal. Cost of watch $57.99; Cost of shipping $0. All present and correct right(?) because when ordering off their website the shipping is included in the total price (at least from what I have read on here and the fact they don't charge shipping at checkout!).

So I pay for the watch and then the next day get an e-mail from collector_898/pinkpink898:

"As ship to Europe or Africa shipment that our company will ship them by EMS , and the charge is usd18.00,please pay this EMS charge so that we can ship the watch to you promptly. until today, we still didn't get the response at your side to pay the usd18.00 charge, Our company had no choice and ship it to you by registered airmail only. But our company will not take the responsibility on the risky if you don't recieve the parcel, since if send by registered airmail. It will be get lost easily . Then we cannot have any responsibility on this. Please well noted."

Now, what they are saying makes sense, but I'm not much of a fan for charging set amount then getting hit up for charges you didn't know were coming. Its like buying something of eBay, then paying, then having the seller say "oh by the way I want some more $$$ to cover my PayPal fees". :rodekaart

Then when I look at Alpha's eBay presence they sell the black 'Sub' for $44.99 + $15.00 to the UK = $59.99. So at two dollars more than their website price they have absorbed $15 of the $18 they supposedly need for EMS shipping to the UK.

So, is this normal practice for Alpha or are they shamelessly gouging in the hope I am a mug? Should I pay the $18 or tell them to get stuffed? It makes more sense to buy off eBay but they don't have any for sale at this moment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Huh, that's new. Back when I ordered from Alpha (which is a year ago) the shipping was still included.

·
Registered
68 Posts
happened to me also...

they asked for another $23 for EMS... I just replied with "no EMS, thanks" and they shipped it by registered mail and for free...

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
Hi everyone, after looking as some of the great Alphas knocking about these parts I decided to take the plunge to see what all the fuss was about.

I ordered the black 'Submariner' from Alpha's wesite and paid through PayPal. Cost of watch $57.99; Cost of shipping $0. All present and correct right(?) because when ordering off their website the shipping is included in the total price (at least from what I have read on here and the fact they don't charge shipping at checkout!).

So I pay for the watch and then the next day get an e-mail from collector_898/pinkpink898:

"As ship to Europe or Africa shipment that our company will ship them by EMS , and the charge is usd18.00,please pay this EMS charge so that we can ship the watch to you promptly. until today, we still didn't get the response at your side to pay the usd18.00 charge, Our company had no choice and ship it to you by registered airmail only. But our company will not take the responsibility on the risky if you don't recieve the parcel, since if send by registered airmail. It will be get lost easily . Then we cannot have any responsibility on this. Please well noted."

Now, what they are saying makes sense, but I'm not much of a fan for charging set amount then getting hit up for charges you didn't know were coming. Its like buying something of eBay, then paying, then having the seller say "oh by the way I want some more $$$ to cover my PayPal fees". :rodekaart

Then when I look at Alpha's eBay presence they sell the black 'Sub' for $44.99 + $15.00 to the UK = $59.99. So at two dollars more than their website price they have absorbed $15 of the $18 they supposedly need for EMS shipping to the UK.

So, is this normal practice for Alpha or are they shamelessly gouging in the hope I am a mug? Should I pay the $18 or tell them to get stuffed? It makes more sense to buy off eBay but they don't have any for sale at this moment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Absolutely normal :)

Regular shipping is included in the price, but if you want to go for the EMS service, there's a $18 bonus to pay.

The first two times I ordered watches to Alpha, I chose this option (honestly because I was a bit scared about the Terror-Euro speach about postmen thieves and general insecurity :-d ) I wasn't pleased because the EMS option is supposed to be quicker, but due to the customs, it takes as much time as the regular option... plus the price goes sky high :-| ;-)

But for my following orders (I ordered my 10th Alpha recently), I chose regular air mail, and everything was fine.

Just cancel the $18 Paypal request when you receive it, and send Alpha an e-mail if you wish (that's what I do) telling them to send the parcel via regular air mail.

But nothing to worry, really :)

Hope you'll be pleased when you'll receive your watch.
I certainly was ;-)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got no problem with Airmail its just sometimes the language barrier doesn't quite convey the fact I actually had a choice in the shipping method.

Thanks for all the information guys.

And Reno, that little picture of yours didn't help me not purchase one. |>

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
I've got no problem with Airmail its just sometimes the language barrier doesn't quite convey the fact I actually had a choice in the shipping method.

Thanks for all the information guys.

And Reno, that little picture of yours didn't help me not purchase one. |>
;-)

Happy to oblige :-d

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have just read the above posts and now feel better about pulling the trigger on an Alpha Sub Green Bezel last week.

I received all of the above emails, and out of fear I paid for EMS and after a few chasing emails now have a tracking number.

I assume from the posts above that your watches all arrived, any ideas how long it takes roughly until delivery. The watch was posted EMS on 6th May 2010.

Any thoughts appreciated, Thanks again. :)

Max

When (If) it arrives I'll update this post.:-s

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Hmmm, funny, I never received any of these mails. They just sent it to me for free, without offering the EMS option.

By the way, it's been a month now and my last order from Alpha HK still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to worry a little bit. All of my (6) other Alphas arrived much quicker.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Hmmm, funny, I never received any of these mails. They just sent it to me for free, without offering the EMS option.

By the way, it's been a month now and my last order from Alpha HK still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to worry a little bit. All of my (6) other Alphas arrived much quicker.
I think EMS does not ship to NL from China/HK. A package was sent to me by EMS, and bounced. Now it's almost here via Fedex...

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Allright, that explains why we aren't spammed by their mails.

By the way, it arrived today ;-)

It's their new R. Day-Date homage, one of the best looking Alphas I received so far. Doesn't match very good with the stock bracelet (which is a bit too shiny) so I ordered a brown leather strap for it.

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
Allright, that explains why we aren't spammed by their mails.

By the way, it arrived today ;-)

It's their new R. Day-Date homage, one of the best looking Alphas I received so far. Doesn't match very good with the stock bracelet (which is a bit too shiny) so I ordered a brown leather strap for it.
Lester, may I ask which model did you choose ?
I have the silver dial + indexes which is very nice indeed :-!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have just read the above posts and now feel better about pulling the trigger on an Alpha Sub Green Bezel last week.

I received all of the above emails, and out of fear I paid for EMS and after a few chasing emails now have a tracking number.

I assume from the posts above that your watches all arrived, any ideas how long it takes roughly until delivery. The watch was posted EMS on 6th May 2010.

Max

Wow, surprised to see my old thread pop up when on a casual browse!

To answer your question, I opted for regular airmail and the watch arrived a-ok. The watch was very well packaged and took about three weeks to reach the UK. Hope this helps.

PS. Hope you enjoy your watch - I have had much enjoyment out of mine. Despite Alpha's detractors its one year later and its still ticking. |>

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Lester, may I ask which model did you choose ?
I have the silver dial + indexes which is very nice indeed :-!
They have a new one??
It's a black version, it appeared in their 'new watches' section a couple of weeks ago.

I'll take some quick 'n dirty shots:

·
Registered
26,754 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ordered the PVD coated automatic watch early yesterday morning. The site went through the process and all is well. Received the e-mail from Pinkpink with the attached message showing that PayPal paid the exact cost of the watch, no tax, 0 for shipping. That was all that was billed. I did get another e-mail from Pinkpink thanking me for the order and the prospect of more of my business but no e-mails or request for funds for shipping. When I replied to ask when it might be shipped he even wrote that he will contact me with a tracking number when it leaves HK. So far this has been painless. Hope this helps. Mike

·
Registered
261 Posts

Max

Nice selection :-! I couldn't be happier with mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
An update as promised.

Parcel arrived from Hong Kong today. :-! So it took 11 days using EMS.

This is my first "homage" watch and I must admit for 60USD or roughly £40 here in the UK I am quite pleased with it! ;-)

Some pics attached........

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
An update as promised.

Parcel arrived from Hong Kong today. :-! So it took 11 days using EMS.

This is my first "homage" watch and I must admit for 60USD or roughly £40 here in the UK I am quite pleased with it! ;-)

Some pics attached........
Nice Choice :-!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts