WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a new owner of an Oris Big Crown Propilot (my first automatic). It's a beautiful watch, the legibility is unrealisticly good. On the other hand, I find the canvas strap extremely unconfortable. Anyway, my question is regarding the manual winding of the watch - is it natural that there is resistance when winding the crown clockwise? Logic says yes because you are winding the spring, but I just want to make sure because there are no official Oris service shops around here so if anything should happen to it the procedure would be a huge pain in the a*s to get it fixed

Cheers!

IMG_20170414_101042.jpg

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
As stated above by Michael Day. I don't think it's possible to overwind it. Give the strap a chance to settle in. I had one and it was the most comfortable strap I ever had. It can be a bit stiff at the start but it will become more supple. You might have to try different adjustments until you get it just right.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There has been many conversation before detailing how most modern automatics have a slip clutch mechanism that does not allow a watch to become overwound.

When hand winding, if you listen closely, you might be able to hear a different "tick" when the watch spring is wound past it's most compressed point. I've always taken this as the movement doing its job to disengage hand winding the spring.

Ps. I've been looking for a big crown too, would love to hear your thoughts on breaking it in!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
60,837 Posts
You will be able to turn the crown both ways, naturally, but turning it clockwise (winding it up) will feel a little stiffer than turning it anti clockwise. Even when the watch is fully wound you can still wind it (a little clutch slips) and it will still feel stiffer than when you turn it anti clockwise.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If your watch has fully discharged the mainspring and stopped then you can fully charge it by giving 30-40 full 360deg turns of the crown and will last approximately 42 hours without being worn. This will be in your instruction manual that came with the watch. Wearing it will maintain and top up the power reserve via the oscillating rotor and automatic winding mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys, good to know that the watch is somewhat idiot-proof for people like me :)

Give the strap a chance to settle in. I had one and it was the most comfortable strap I ever had. It can be a bit stiff at the start but it will become more supple. You might have to try different adjustments until you get it just right.
It's the bottom metal parts that are part of the mechanism - they are so sharp and harsh and press against my wrist, it's mildly painful after a while... if I loosen the strap then it doesn't sit right on the hand as it slides left or right.

How long are we talking about regarding settling in? Because I ordered one of these in the meantime in case this one doesn't settle in properly - I would hate it if I have to replace a brand new original strap, but I might be left with no choice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts