WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have sold quite a few watches over the years, although it has been a while. I have a watch being held by a watch repair shop and my plan is to sell it while he holds it and he will ship it to the buyer once they pay may. I was wondering- i Know it is important to ship to the official buyer's paypal address as paypal will use that if there is a fraud claim- ensuring that it was indeed mailed to the buyer. However, is there any issue with me having it shipped FROM a location that is not mine- i.e. shipped from an address other than the sellers address?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Regards,

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
I think that is an excellent question that only Paypal will be able to answer. However, if the watch is just being held by the watch repair why not reclaim it?

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the buyer is going to file a claim it would't matter where it is shipped from unless they feel that the sale was misrepresented and they get cold feet. For example you have the listing in your home city and that is where the buyer thinks they are getting it from. They receive a package from a totally different state and has paperwork or address from a watch shop. They might feel like they have been misled in the transaction.

In regard to rules of paypal - for an example Paypal merchant seller protection rules require for proof of shipment: the shipping company, shipping date, and recipient's address that must match the address on the paypal transaction (UPS receipt). In addition the proof of delivery can be obtained with the tracking number and services selected for that shipment.

Bottom line - it doesn't really matter where it was shipped from. People can put an address on a label and drop it off at a UPS center in another state and it will still ship. The only proof is coordinates of where the first scan took place if the scanner has the technology. You are totally fine to have the watchmaker send it as long as they give you the receipts and take a picture of item in the box etc. If a buyer wants to file a false claim that it wasn't delivered or box of rocks it's your word against theirs and doesn't matter what the origin of the shipment was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think it matters so much what location you choose to ship from as long as you did your due dalliance to vet your buyer. I would suggest you make a video of you packaging the watch. I do that with my watches, call me paranoid but I find this the best way to win any claim filed against me.

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
I think it's ok if you changed your address prior to payment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A paypal dispute doesn’t lead to a hearing in which you are questioned and there are witnesses and exhibits. If someone wants to lie and say they didn’t receive it - it doesn’t matter if you or your watch maker sent it. It is a straight forward thing and someone isn’t listening to two sides of the story. Having a photo of the item and tracking number showing delivered is about all that can help you. Do your best to make sure you trust the buyer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you are concenred that a different ship from address could impact your seller protection from paypal, you should contact paypal and ask them. They have a robust support line and you can reach them by phone to ask your question. Also, be sure to use tracking for your package. If you are not purchasing tracking online, upload it to to your transaction so that you and the buyer can see it. Good luck with your sale.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I think you would be OK if you posted Full Disclosure in your ad , letting the buyer know exactly where the watch will ship from and why ..
BUT as far as a listing goes couple of questions for you ...how long has the watchmaker held the watch? Any changes in the condition ? Who is going to take current pictures of the piece ? and finally WHY would you do this ?? To save a couple of $$ on shipping ??
And on second thought ...as a buyer I'd pass ..

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
Yes, honesty and transparency are the keys.

·
Premium Member
36,256 Posts
A paypal dispute doesn’t lead to a hearing in which you are questioned and there are witnesses and exhibits. If someone wants to lie and say they didn’t receive it - it doesn’t matter if you or your watch maker sent it. It is a straight forward thing and someone isn’t listening to two sides of the story. Having a photo of the item and tracking number showing delivered is about all that can help you. Do your best to make sure you trust the buyer./QUOTE]

Good advice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd definitely hold out and ship it yourself. It's not worth it. Plus, you get to make sure the repair shop did what they were supposed to do before you actually ship it out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone- thanks for all the replies. Because some of you asked, and it is a good question, the situation is this- I purchased the watch new from a well known grey market dealer at a great price in the US. I'm an American living in the UK. I had it delivered to a well known watch modder who has done work for me before with the intent that he would partially blast it to reduce come of the polish (I, and a lot of other people find this model a bit too polished). My plan was to pick this up this summer when in the US visiting family. This was all before the COVID issue struck. Now I don't know when I will make it to the US, but it won't be anytime soon, and probably at least a year, and like a lot of people, I have taken a financial hit arleady. So I came to the decision that it would be better to sell it before he blasts it and recoup my money. He has agreed to sell it for me, he runs a business that is used to shipping watches to customers, so we were debating if it would be better to have the buyer pay me or to have them pay him and then him transfer the funds to me. I cannot have him send the watch to me here because of VAT plus duty which would cost me over 20% of the cost of the watch.

Also, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to sell a watch held by a reputable business as a third party, as that would give the buyer the peace of mind that it is held by a well known business. Although I have 100% good reviews for selling myself here on the forums so I would otherwise do it myself if not fore the problem outlined above.

Thanks again, everyone. I hope you are all doing well on the other side of the pond.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts