WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been stuck with this decision for a month or so now. I like all 3, and only can afford one. What I want in a watch is to be very versatile, decent WR, good looking, and just something I can wear everyday. I also want to have natos, leather straps and a bracelet to go with it. I have a 6.5 inch wrist. I dont go to many formal occasions either.
I have absolutely no idea which one to get. I think, THINK, my order goes like this:
  1. 104
  2. Damasko
  3. 556i
But sometimes Damasko is #1, and then 556 is #1 and the whole cycle continues. I dont know how many times I offered someone a price on a used one, then completely back out. I think, if I get this, will I regret it and want that (that being one of the other 2).
I am 100% sure these 3 are the ones I want, especially for this price. What one though!?
I think the only thing keeping me from buying Damasko is the brand. It seems very new, and am afraid the brand won't be around long. Sinn seems to be doing great and will continue to be in the future.

·
Registered
422 Posts
They are all nice options but the top two for me would be the DA36 and 104. Ultimately I would probably go with the DA36. It seems cleaner and has the ice hardening throughout the entire watch and if you get the bracelet it will have it on that as well. I also feel that you get more out of the Damasko from a price as well. Like anything, this is just my opinion and it's subjective but wanted to give you something to think about. Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I don't own any of these watches. But the Demasko absolutely speaks to me leaps and bounds beyond the others and I plan to order one for a daily very soon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it depends on your wrist size personally. I’m 7.3 and the Damasko felt a little small for me. So I would guess the 556 would as well. The 104 will feel a little bigger with the bezel and would be my choice as I like a bezel. All really nice watches.
I would buy the one that you get the deal you want on and wear it if you don’t like it flip it for one of the others. All would sell quickly with little loss on the used market.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
you get a lot more for your money with the damasko. I think their QC is better than sinn too, based on the sinn 104 i have owned (back to the mothership twice in 6 months for movement issues- once just stopped entirely, second time auto wind stopped working). my DA44 has been flawless for over 3 years of daily wear, often in fairly harsh environments- welding, machining, working on industrial equipment. they really don't scratch. Watchmann has great CS too should you have an issue with the damasko- definitely nice to have a good service option on this side of the atlantic (assuming you're in the US)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Damasko's been around since 1994, so it's not that new. My DA36 looks and runs great. It actually has the best winding feel of all my watches.

Reactions: Batboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I got the exact same wrist size, and i have been in your position many time. But what i have learnt out of it to be decisive and not to regret it. The more you wait, the more prices will go up and the more u deprive yourself of quality time with a excellent timepiece. All three are good but my pick would be Damasko for the following reasons,

• Better fit for 6.5 wrist vs. 104
  • Better value for money, it can be subjective
  • Hardened submarine steel case, daily driver and an excellent tool watch. Ideal for a use case, when not attending too many formal events on a day to day basis
  • Tech a notch above Sinn, e.g. patented inhouse crown lubrication system, negative pressure resistant, Viton rubber gaskets, etc.
  • A bit cheaper in price vs. Sinn, hence more bang for the buck
  • Brand value and Brand perception are two different things, determine what you are after. I have seen equally good resale value for both brands, indeed Sinn wins here. But all depends on your worry, if it is about resale value then i believe you will feel more comfortable with Sinn. If your worry is about the existence of the brand, then i suggest you watch on Youtube - both parts of "Damasko - A look inside the manufacture". Damasko has been here for good and from the setup they have, aren't going anywhere anytime soon

To conclude, whichever you decide, wear in good health.

Cheers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 104 and I have a custom order in for a Damasko chronograph. The 104 is really lovely and I appreciate how well it dresses up or down. I just don't like the cross-hairs look on the Damasko 3-handers.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love the cross-hairs on Damasko 3-handers (proof that taste is personal :) ).

you get a lot more for your money with the damasko ... my DA44 has been flawless for over 3 years of daily wear, often in fairly harsh environments- welding, machining, working on industrial equipment. they really don't scratch.
Yes, you get a lot more technology and innovation with the Damasko. My DA has been flawless for over 7 years of use and considerable abuse. After seven years, neither the ice-hardened case nor the Damest bezel have a single scratch. Incredible! And the bezel action is the best of any watch I've ever tried.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I’ve owned the DA36 and the 104 but think the 556 might be the winner based on your wrist size and intended use as it may be the most versatile of the trio.
The Sinn was too shiny and dressy looking for me and I didn’t like the mushy captive bezel. I traded the DA36 for a DA46 and still have it. The DA36, while a good size at 40mm, seems a little bigger in real life and may wear too big on your wrist. The 556 may be the best all-rounder. None are bad choices.

Reactions: nimzotech

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love the cross-hairs on Damasko 3-handers (proof that taste is personal :) ).

Yes, you get a lot more technology and innovation with the Damasko. My DA has been flawless for over 7 years of use and considerable abuse. After seven years, neither the ice-hardened case nor the Damest bezel have a single scratch. Incredible! And the bezel action is the best of any watch I've ever tried.
nice my '44 is like 3 years old. you ever have your serviced? I'm kinda leaning toward waiting until it has issues. we have a timeographer at work, so i can keep an eye on it. Seems like a lot of folks getting a decade out of eta 2836's. I'm a bit hesitant to have somebody fiddle with it if it's working. it isn't like parts for that movement are expensive or hard to source either .

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have been stuck with this decision for a month or so now. I like all 3, and only can afford one. What I want in a watch is to be very versatile, decent WR, good looking, and just something I can wear everyday. I also want to have natos, leather straps and a bracelet to go with it. I have a 6.5 inch wrist. I dont go to many formal occasions either.
I have absolutely no idea which one to get. I think, THINK, my order goes like this:
  1. 104
  2. Damasko
  3. 556i
But sometimes Damasko is #1, and then 556 is #1 and the whole cycle continues. I dont know how many times I offered someone a price on a used one, then completely back out. I think, if I get this, will I regret it and want that (that being one of the other 2).
I am 100% sure these 3 are the ones I want, especially for this price. What one though!?
I think the only thing keeping me from buying Damasko is the brand. It seems very new, and am afraid the brand won't be around long. Sinn seems to be doing great and will continue to be in the future.
I have owned several Sinn's and Damasko's, currently have an 856 AB and a DA47. Both on steel. As others have said, both are nice watches, made by good manufacturers. Damasko is perhaps more in-house than Sinn.

Some details below. Key differences are that the Sinn's you selected are shinny, the Damasko hardened, so more resistant to scratches and dents. BUT the Damasko is dull gray in color. I like it, but just a consideration. The Sinn's are WR to 200M, same as an air diver, so if you plan to wear while doing water sports, the Sinn's may have an advantage to you.

Fit: you mentioned your wrist circumference, but that has nothing to do with fit. Like a shoe, start with case size (length). The 556 is 46mm, 2mm smaller than the Damasko's 48mm. How much real estate do you have across the top of your wrist, just above the wrist bone, where the watch sits? Measure across, between where the wrist just starts to curve down. Convert to mm's, and compare to case size. A watch is a good candidate if your wrist is </= to the case size. If the case size is greater, consider how deeply curved the lugs are, and if they will follow the curve on your wrist.

I have a little bigger than 7 1/4" circumference wrists, but taller, more rounded, so the flat area is just a little over 47mm across. My DA47 uses the same 48mm case as the 36, and the lugs curve perfectly for me, confirming to my wrist. A Seiko Camel Toe case is nearly 53mm, so much too big for me ... but there are people with wrists your circumference that are wider and flatter across the top, and the Camel Toe fits them.

Things to consider:

Damasko:
  • Case is ice hardened, about 880 vicars, compared to regular 3156L on the Sinn's: 220 (about) vicars
  • Color: gun-metal gray, "flat" (no "bling")
  • ETA 2824 movement, with some modifications and regulated by Damasko

Sinn:
  • Polished SS
  • Cases not hardened
  • SW200 movements now? Regardless, also regulated by Sinn

By case size:
Damasko 36: 48mm
Sinn 104: 47mm
Sinn 556: 46mm

By WR:
Damasko 36: 10 bar (100 meters)
Sinn 104: 20 bar (200 meters)
Sinn 556: 20 bar (200 meters)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have had all three watches, well the 556 was in on loan, and I also have a 6.5" wrist. I had a 104 and sold it, but have another one that I need to unbox. It is a tough decision for sure. the DA36 will look new longer then they other options due to the ice hardened steel. Another option would be the DS30, which is just surface hardened, but has only a date vs day date of the DA36. I have a video comparing the 556 to the DB5 (DA36). Also, I have a video comparing the 556 to the DS30. I will eventually record and upload a video comparing the DB5, and DS30 to my Sinn 104 once I unbox it.

I really miss that 556, I wish I could have bought it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
@sky4 Yes, I’ve had my Damasko serviced. I’m in the regular servicing camp, especially for my Damasko because it’s a keeper. But I had it serviced locally, not in Germany.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same boat as you an cannot decide. Used market is priced close to the new market. I am so impatient though. Look forward to your decision and review.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DA36 hands down. When you have one you will keep it. If not you will regret it. And Damasko as a brand is fairly unique. A family owned genuine manufacture, who else can claim that?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I would suggest the DA36. I got mine around 12 years ago and the case still looks brand new.

Current models have a ETA 2836 movement and those could be serviced by any competent watchmaker. Mine was serviced by an independent watch maker about 5 years ago. The bracelet was retrofitted around 3 years ago (I think )

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts