WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
@sky4 Yes, I’ve had my Damasko serviced. I’m in the regular servicing camp, especially for my Damasko because it’s a keeper. But I had it serviced locally, not in Germany.
cool man. I'll start thinking about it on the 5 year mark. we've got a timeographer at work so i can see how well it's running. I'll likely stretch it a little, but past the 6-7 year mark i think i'd just be asking for a failure at an inopportune time.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I own a DA 36 and it's on my wrist now. I changed out the standard pin buckle for a Damasko single fold clasp and love it. Damasko has some technologies that the others do not have and my DA 36 still looks brand new, no scratches.

The 104 is also a fine watch; I wouldn't mind owning one in white.

The 556 is fine but I think if I'm heading in that direction I might end up with a Stowa instead.

But with your 6.5" wrist the 556 should definitely a contender. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a DA 36 and it's on my wrist now. I changed out the standard pin buckle for a Damasko single fold clasp and love it. Damasko has some technologies that the others do not have and my DA 36 still looks brand new, no scratches.

The 104 is also a fine watch; I wouldn't mind owning one in white.

The 556 is fine but I think if I'm heading in that direction I might end up with a Stowa instead.

But with your 6.5" wrist the 556 should definitely a contender. Cheers!
How would you compare Damasko vs Sinn vs other german (eg Junghans or Stowa) watches?

So far, i've been very interrested in the durability between Damasko and Sinn, there seem to be few differences and i often prefer Sinn designs.
I wish Sinn made something like a Junghans Max Bill both Solar powered and Radio-controlled (so i didn't have to worry about ever setting the correct time)...

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
How would you compare Damasko vs Sinn vs other german (eg Junghans or Stowa) watches?

So far, i've been very interrested in the durability between Damasko and Sinn, there seem to be few differences and i often prefer Sinn designs.
I wish Sinn made something like a Junghans Max Bill both Solar powered and Radio-controlled (so i didn't have to worry about ever setting the correct time)...
I like Damasko because it's a small family-owned company, almost bespoke if you will.

The Sinn watch in this discussion is the 556, which does not use a hardened case like the Damasko (or Tegimented in Sinn-speak) and really has no special features at all other than it's a forum darling because of its clean looks and decent proportions. With that said, I would love to own a Sinn at some point, perhaps something in the 800 or 900-series, just not the 556. Plus, it's considered a tad small these days at 38.5mm.

Stowa makes a fine watch and I'd like to have a their Flieger Classic 40 with the heat-blued hands.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So far, i've been very interrested in the durability between Damasko and Sinn, there seem to be few differences
The crucial difference is that Damasko gives you the technology for durability in every watch. For example, every watch has Damasko's crown system, which solves the weaknesses (common failure points) that regular crowns have. And every Damasko is hewn from supremely durable – ice-hardened or submarine – steel.

In contrast, Sinn doesn't give you its tech until you're a significant way up the price point. Sinn's entry-level watches are 'merely' decent products.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would say that the Sinn 556 is more than a merely decent watch. It’s true that it doesn’t incorporate any of Sinn’s proprietary technology, however, it’s a very well built and finished watch with classic good looks.

I love both Sinn and Damasko products and have owned about 6 watches from each maker. There’s distinct difference between the two and here’s how I would compare the 556 to the comparable Damasko products (DA series and DS30).

Case: The Sinn and Damasko are both beautifully machined cases. The difference is in the finishing. The Damasko products are hardened and from my experience, they stay new looking forever. But I am not a huge fan of the duller looking hardened metal... it’s a bit too utilitarian for my taste. The submarine steel on the DS30 looks better than the ice hardened steel on the other Damasko watches. The brushed stainless case on the Sinn is gorgeous... this is a big plus for me as I prefer that look. Of course it picks up scratches like any conventional watch, but I have not found it to be a scratch magnet like some have described it. Not a fan of the display case back on the Sinn... the movement is standard and all the display back does is add a bit of height. The DA and 556 share a slab sided look, but the 556 is thinner and hides it well. The DS30 is thin like a dress watch and is my favorite profile of the three. Kudos to both for the 20mm drilled lugs that make changing straps a breeze.

Crown: Nicely machined on both the Sinn and Damasko. Both brands operate smoothly, but the edge goes to Damasko for its technology here and best in class crown operation.

Bracelet: The Sinn bracelet looks nice, but my personal preference is for an oyster bracelet compared to the Sinn’s H links. It’s well machined and the hex screws are the easiest to size system I have used. As you have probably read, the clasp is functional, but lower in quality than the rest of the watch. Upgrading the clasp should be a priority on Sinn’s product roadmap. I have no experience with the Damasko bracelet, but it looks like an incredible piece of engineering. The Damasko bracelet seems to be let down by the butterfly clasp that doesn’t provide for micro adjustments. The leather straps from both brands are good quality, private label versions of quality German strap makers like DiModell, Hirsch, and Fluco.

Dial: For me, this is a huge advantage for Sinn. Style wise, the Sinn’s seem much more coherent and attractive. Readability is fantastic on both brands... some of the most legible watches available. I actually don’t mind the cross on the Damasko dial and think it’s a great expression of their brand identity. But the quality of the printing on the Sinn dials is far better than their Damasko counterparts. It would not be hyperbole to say that the Sinn dials are perfectly executed. The Damasko, while fine, just isn’t as crisp. And every Damasko I have owned has had blotchy application of lume... something that really annoys me. The hands of the Sinn are likewise finished a bit better than those on the Damasko. Finally, the crystal in both brands is generally excellent with good clarity. Perhaps a slight edge for Sinn.

Movement: comparable movements are used in each, but Sinn allegedly uses top grade vs elaborated in the Damasko. Both are accurate, but it seems like Damasko does a much better job with regulating the timing... every Damasko I have owned, except one, has kept time to COSC standards.

So despite the many similarities, Sinn and Damasko bring something different to the table. I probably prefer Sinn, but having both might be the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have had all three watches, well the 556 was in on loan, and I also have a 6.5" wrist. I had a 104 and sold it, but have another one that I need to unbox. It is a tough decision for sure. the DA36 will look new longer then they other options due to the ice hardened steel. Another option would be the DS30, which is just surface hardened, but has only a date vs day date of the DA36. I have a video comparing the 556 to the DB5 (DA36). Also, I have a video comparing the 556 to the DS30. I will eventually record and upload a video comparing the DB5, and DS30 to my Sinn 104 once I unbox it.

I really miss that 556, I wish I could have bought it.
So, I had an opportunity to buy the Sinn 556 that I reviewed in my video. I am looking forward to spending some time with it long term. I had my DS30 back out the other day as well. Dang, it is a hard choice between the 104, 556, DS30, and DA36. I somehow have them all right now. I really should reduce the collection, but I am not sure which one would be the keeper. I really wished that Sinn would offer the tegimented coating for the 104 and 556 at their current price point for both watches. I think Damasko offers a better value, or at least they did before they went to the "in-house" movement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So, I had an opportunity to buy the Sinn 556 that I reviewed in my video. I am looking forward to spending some time with it long term. I had my DS30 back out the other day as well. Dang, it is a hard choice between the 104, 556, DS30, and DA36. I somehow have them all right now. I really should reduce the collection, but I am not sure which one would be the keeper. I really wished that Sinn would offer the tegimented coating for the 104 and 556 at their current price point for both watches. I think Damasko offers a better value, or at least they did before they went to the "in-house" movement.
I had all of these watches... all are great so at the end of the day, there’s no bad decision whichever you choose to keep. The DS30 might objectively be the best value with the hardened case, crown system, and extremely accurate movement. But I prefer the looks of the 556

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had all of these watches... all are great so at the end of the day, there’s no bad decision whichever you choose to keep. The DS30 might objectively be the best value with the hardened case, crown system, and extremely accurate movement. But I prefer the looks of the 556

Yea, I really like the 556. the dial is simple, but it is a very nice inky black.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Of course the DA-36!!!!

Damasko and Sinn are both amazing but the DA-36 is an amazing piece and the nerd in me really loves the technology in Damasko watches. Plus this from Gear Patrol just made my day,

" Damasko is based on technology: we build watches to be worn all day, every day, 100% made in Germany.
We make durable and reliable watches using in-house movements, high-tech materials such as titanium, silicon, ice-hardened stainless steel and submarine steel, and we bring these materials to very high standards using different processes (all patented).
We are one of the few watch manufacturers in the world to make its own components in-house, from cases to bracelets, movements, escapements and much more.
We don’t really do marketing, we leave that up to the people."

The above is an excerpt from an interview/article on Gear Patrol. If this statement doesn't make you proud to own a Damasko and make other interested in one I don't know what will as a watch collector.

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
Yea, I really like the 556. the dial is simple, but it is a very nice inky black.
Agree with the preference of dial on the 556. I don’t know if it’s the texture or maybe the colors or what, but I definitely am more drawn to the 556 dial aesthetic. In some light conditions I’m absolutely in love with the green (windup edition) dial, while other times (particularly when it’s really bright out), the color isn’t as rich as I’d want. I also am finding I prefer numerals on the dial, as, at least for me, it’s just easier to quickly tell the time. That being said, I chose (and would choose again) the DS30 over a 556 simply because of the tech and value. It’s common to see standard 316 steel cases with dings and gouges, but I can’t recall seeing a single Damasko with any marks on the case.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agree with the preference of dial on the 556. I don’t know if it’s the texture or maybe the colors or what, but I definitely am more drawn to the 556 dial aesthetic. In some light conditions I’m absolutely in love with the green (windup edition) dial, while other times (particularly when it’s really bright out), the color isn’t as rich as I’d want. I also am finding I prefer numerals on the dial, as, at least for me, it’s just easier to quickly tell the time. That being said, I chose (and would choose again) the DS30 over a 556 simply because of the tech and value. It’s common to see standard 316 steel cases with dings and gouges, but I can’t recall seeing a single Damasko with any marks on the case.
I recently picked up a black DS30, and the 556 that I bought the previous owner bought a strap for it, so it will be more of a direct comparison. The 556 does have some marks from daily use though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
556 will fit your wrist best. I have a 7 inch wrist and all the subject watches.

I find both the 556 and the 104 on my wrist more often than not. The D36 received some wrist time today and even tried on a new outfit - the Marine Nationale strap. Unfortunately, the 104 quickly found itself back on my wrist.

Cool and unique of the 104 is the bi-lingual day feature.

Still the 556 will fit your wrist best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My personal finding in life with these scenarios is that, if you’re like me, you’ll eventually get all 3. So the question is just in what order

I have a 556i and love it, but have a Damasko next on my list (likely a DK32). I got the 556i because it dressed both up and down really well, no matter if I’m at the office or hiking it fits in. I don’t have a “daily” watch but my 556i definitely gets the most use. But I also got it because I was able to buy it in person and try it on, which always makes me feel much more comfortable with a purchase even with the brick-and-mortar premium. So maybe find somewhere you can try them on and see which one speaks to you when it’s on your wrist

(PS - I wouldn’t worry that either is going to lose significant value, they’re highly durable watches from loves brands. As you can tell from the forums here haha)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My personal finding in life with these scenarios is that, if you’re like me, you’ll eventually get all 3.

(PS - I wouldn’t worry that either is going to lose significant value, they’re highly durable watches from loves brands. As you can tell from the forums here haha)
I love both Sinn and Damasko watches, but having sold or traded 9 from both makers in the past several years (Yes, I have a buying and flipping problem) I have to say Sinn watches fare much better in the resale market. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I have not owed any of the Watches you are looking at. Any chance to try on the watches you are looking at and decide from there? Vance.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
I have not owed any of the Watches you are looking at. Any chance to try on the watches you are looking at and decide from there? Vance.
Probably no chance. Member‘s flag is from Daulat Al-Imaraat Al-Arabiyyah Al-Muttahida.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Probably no chance. Member‘s flag is from Daulat Al-Imaraat Al-Arabiyyah Al-Muttahida.
Is that a red flag by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, pardon any spelling errors.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts