WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Do you guys/girls actually use the watch to go diving?
-While I cannot take my PO diving for medical reasons (That is, my lungs are not up to it - the PO is just fine.. :)), I have on occasion strapped it onto subsea equipment to see whether it holds up.

The deepest it has gone was to its rated 600m somewhere off the Angolan coast - wound it fully before I strapped it onto the hook, kept it at 600m for approx. 40 hours before hoisting it back up again. When it resurfaced, it was ticking away happily as it had done when it was lowered - having lost about a second and a half, whereas it normally gains a little every day.

I put this down to the lower temperature - 40 hours at 4 degrees C or so.

As it was not a saturation dive, operating the He escape valve was not a concern, either. :)

But, as others have pointed out - if a watch can be taken to 600m and live to tell the tale, chances are it can take a beating onshore, as well. In my (uneducated) opinion, water resistance is a good indicator of overall ruggedness.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Do you guys/girls actually use the watch to go diving? Most of these watches like the Seamaster 300M and PO can go 300-600m and have Helium Escape Valve etc. These functions add to the cost/prices of the watch so I was wondering if the watches are being used for what they were designed for or are you paying for functions that you do not use or need?
Get salt water on my watch? No thanks .. but it has experienced its share of rain and after a good rain I use the valve just because. I do use the bezel for practical application, does that count?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
-While I cannot take my PO diving for medical reasons (That is, my lungs are not up to it - the PO is just fine.. :)), I have on occasion strapped it onto subsea equipment to see whether it holds up.

The deepest it has gone was to its rated 600m somewhere off the Angolan coast - wound it fully before I strapped it onto the hook, kept it at 600m for approx. 40 hours before hoisting it back up again. When it resurfaced, it was ticking away happily as it had done when it was lowered - having lost about a second and a half, whereas it normally gains a little every day.

As it was not a saturation dive, operating the He escape valve was not a concern, either. :)

But, as others have pointed out - if a watch can be taken to 600m and live to tell the tale, chances are it can take a beating onshore, as well. In my (uneducated) opinion, water resistance is a good indicator of overall ruggedness.
Odd, I've always enjoyed your posts, but now you've risen to the rank of hero. ;-)

Dropping the PO to 600m just for giggles? I love it! |>|>|>

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Odd that is quite a ninja thing to do for any WIS!! Given the debate about how a 30m watch is only safe in shower etc etc, I wonder just how deep the PO could actually go before it breaks?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Given the debate about how a 30m watch is only safe in shower etc etc, I wonder just how deep the PO could actually go before it breaks?
-That is for someone else to find out. :)

Or, rather - if someone supplies a PO, I'd be happy to try it out for them. (Strapping it onto an ROV, of course - that way we could use the onboard cameras to see just when it stopped ticking...)

The customer took some convincing, though - leaving their brand new winch system dead in the water for the better part of two days just to see whether the PO was really waterproof struck them as a rather odd (pun intended) thing to do.

When we had to spend a couple of days waiting offshore anyway, I was finally given the go-ahead.

That being said, I feel way more confident sending my PO into the depths than, say, boiling it along with my pasta for a minute or two... :)

Oh, and I feel really proud for resisting the temptation of dropping it to 1500m (That was the amount of wire on my winch), hoisting the remains back up again and return it to Omega for servicing (It was still under warranty, mind you.:)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I have to ask, do you have any photos of you at work, it sounds absolutely splendid!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I took my PO snorkeling off Sanibel Island last week. Even dove down to a depth of about 10 feet to get a shell and I'll have you all know the PO held up fine at that depth...Haha

·
Registered
232 Posts
My PO does some extreme desk diving - to 600m.
My Bond SMP goes swimming regularly and loves it!

·
Registered
605 Posts
JUST got my PO in the mail today so it still needs to get it's cherry popped, but I HAVE taken my Seamaster Bond chronograph snorkeling/free diving/scuba/surfing/swimming and on some great spear fishing jaunts. Though for swimming (for speed/excersise) and surfing, I just as often wear my Freestyle Convert b/c it's soo light and you totally forget you're wearing it. It's kind of uncomfortable wearing a big slab of a watch when you're paddling out on a day when it's big or swimming distance. That's coming from a big guy :-d but I ALWAYS have it on if I'm doing something that involves wearing fins. I love that watch and part of my enjoyment is seldomly taking it off. It's comforting to feel and see it there, sweeping away on my wrist! I just make sure it rinse it very well with fresh water after I get out of the ocean or a pool so I don't corrode the seals.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
hehe, i've got a fair few dive watches... but i really don't like being submerged in water! i find it somewhat claustrophobic

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
When I was a kid I had a little claustrophobia and my biggest fear of dying was by drowning for some reason. So I was quite nervous the first time I did a sub-aqua class to see if it would resurface. After the first few moments I felt OK, but I did suck a lot of air out of the tank quicker than anyone expected so I must have been a little panicked. The lovely young lady taking the class suggested it was OK as I probably had big lungs. I was polite and didn't make the obvious (and trust me if you had seen her it would have been obvious!) response....

Nigel

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a Submariner when I was in the Army, and shortly thereafter until selling it to pay for college.

I was scuba certified and took it diving many times, including at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba which was simply stunning.

I was also a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division and wore it on every jump, I think about 25 with the watch. I would put duct tape (aka 100mph tape) across the back of the band as an added safety measure, didn't want to drop my watch 1000' feet up.

My buddies thought I was nuts, but I bought the watch to wear.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Do Speedmaster wearers travel to space?

Do you guys/girls actually use the watch to go diving? Most of these watches like the Seamaster 300M and PO can go 300-600m and have Helium Escape Valve etc. These functions add to the cost/prices of the watch so I was wondering if the watches are being used for what they were designed for or are you paying for functions that you do not use or need?

Not bloody likely! But it's nice to know they could... Besides, the chrono is handy around the BBQ on weekends ;-)
-wjb

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
When I was a kid I had a little claustrophobia and my biggest fear of dying was by drowning for some reason. So I was quite nervous the first time I did a sub-aqua class to see if it would resurface. After the first few moments I felt OK, but I did suck a lot of air out of the tank quicker than anyone expected so I must have been a little panicked. The lovely young lady taking the class suggested it was OK as I probably had big lungs. I was polite and didn't make the obvious (and trust me if you had seen her it would have been obvious!) response....

Nigel
Nigel, you know what their motto is on here, if its ain't got pics, it didn't happen, the teacher I mean

·
6,880 Posts
I've worn mine in the ocean while snorkeling. If I ever get the opportunity to dive, I would certainly wear the PO!

·
6,880 Posts
Odd, I've always enjoyed your posts, but now you've risen to the rank of hero. ;-)

I agree. That's just AWESOME! :-!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Do Speedmaster wearers travel to space?

Well that's also like the Moon watch...only a few Earthlings will actually be able to use its benefits. It's still nice to have though! For me personally, I would never go professional diving with my PO, rather I'd use my disposable G-Shock for that purpose.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts

That post pretty much ended this thread to any further posts of anything meaningful (including this post). :-d

21 - 40 of 77 Posts