WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
That post pretty much ended this thread to any further posts of anything meaningful (including this post). :-d
Should I "sticky" it then? ;-):-d Next time someone asks about water resistance, just say, "Talk to Odd".

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Should I "sticky" it then? ;-):-d Next time someone asks about water resistance, just say, "Talk to Odd".
-Alex, Alex - you're making me blush here; me being modesty incarnate and all. :)

That being said, I really hope I'll find a suitable service job soon - that is, one which involves ROVs and in waters around 5-600m deep. (Why? Because ROVs carry cameras, and we all know that without pics, it...)

As ROV time is quite expensive, It'd be hard indeed to have the operator abort a dive at 600m for me to retrieve the PO before they commence work operations at >>600m.

Oh, and before making this a statement of my confidence in the PO's water resistance, please note that I did my testing on a watch which had its movement's COSC certificate dated only 16 months in advance. (Giving me all the reason in the world to believe that the gaskets would be in A1 condition still.)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have to ask, do you have any photos of you at work, it sounds absolutely splendid!
-Matt,

Most days it is quite splendid indeed - most of the time I'm offshore, I really, really regret not trying to become a mariner of some sort for a profession.

Then again, going offshore for a week or three every now and then sure is a lot easier on my wife and family than it would be if I were gone six months a year.

I'll try to dig out a photo or five of the things I play around with - I usually snap a few shots with my cellphone while working, but try to keep myself out of the frame.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
That being said, I really hope I'll find a suitable service job soon - that is, one which involves ROVs and in waters around 5-600m deep. (Why? Because ROVs carry cameras, and we all know that without pics, it...)
Now if that happens, we may have to name the forum after you. ;-)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Here's a couple which I found on my cell phone:

...preparing for a pre-mooring of a rig anchor a few hours due east of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (AHTS Skandi Fluminense, December 2008)

...this plough makes a deep trench in the seabed, giving submarine communications cables protection against all sorts of dangers - anchorage, bottom trawling, whathaveyou. With close to 100% certainty, the image you're watching now has been transmitted through at least one submarine cable on its way from my computer to yours. (Aboard C/S Tyco Resolute, Mozambique channel, January 2009)

This is the traction winch which enables the plough in the previous picture to be lowered safely to the seabed, then plough safely after it has landed. Basically, it keeps the wire connecting the ship and the plough at a constant tension - if the plough encounters harder seabed, for instance, it will start paying out wire, rather than damaging the plough.

The unit seen in the photo generates some 600.000Nm and change of torque (450.000 foot-pounds or so) - for comparison, the AC Cobra 427 has a maximum rated torque of approx. 650Nm...)

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yea, don't we all? Watches had become an accessory, jewelry and not so much for the functions. And most importantly a statement for the one wearing it.

I am about to take the plunge for an Omega Seamaster too, been wanting one for a long time. If only I have the budget...

·
Registered
8,409 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Finally, a decent new Land Rover!
Always liked the old ones. New ones are for soccer moms.
-Amen! There is only one real Landy in my opinion - the earlier Series IIa. Preferably a SWB one. :)

That being said, I would not duck if someone threw a series I at me, either - even though the center console would take some time getting used to!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Do you guys/girls actually use the watch to go diving? Most of these watches like the Seamaster 300M and PO can go 300-600m and have Helium Escape Valve etc. These functions add to the cost/prices of the watch so I was wondering if the watches are being used for what they were designed for or are you paying for functions that you do not use or need?
These days the watch itself is a function that one does not need on ones wrist. There are so many other, more accurate references of time available that for most, even a 15 dollar watch is redundant :)

The feeling of a wonderful piece of machinery on your wrist, especially if it is tougher and more rugged than most other devices you own makes it so special to me.

So, the extra paid for HEVs or 6mm Saphires or whatever else is only more of the same, not different.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Saying you are paying for functions you don't need such as increased water resistance, thicker crystals, helium release valves,etc, ect is to me the same as saying if you buy a watch over the cost of $20 you are paying for functions you don't need. As the previous poster said you are paying for a rugged instrument that gives you a sense of having something of high quality. Its all in what you want are what you are willing to pay. Cost is also very relative

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
No I don't dive with my Seamasters...nor do I space walk with my Speedy pro ;-)

·
Registered
476 Posts
mine's been down to 50m, but unless you do serious commercial or military diving with mixed gas, etc. you are never going to push an SMP to its limits.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Al of my Seamasters (PO, SMP, Proplof, NOS Seamaster 300 and even including the Aqua Terra as I didn't have another watch with me at the time) have been baptized in the ocean with surface swimming and snorkeling, with the occasional free dive. The 2254 and the orange PO have been scuba diving. The black PO was scheduled to, but weather canceled the trip, and another dive trip presented itself while I was on vacation, and I signed up, having the Bond SMP with me, but got bumped at the last minute.

Hey, they are dive watches, and I live next to the ocean. Prior to my induction into this hall of madness, I dived with Seikos.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You would die. Stop lying.
There's a big difference between joking and lying. If you think about it, Wyoming is a land locked state with no diving potential so... it was a joke. Don't take people so seriously.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Oh, and I feel really proud for resisting the temptation of dropping it to 1500m (That was the amount of wire on my winch), hoisting the remains back up again and return it to Omega for servicing (It was still under warranty, mind you.:)
Omega would probably be looking at an imploded watch. I wonder the look on their faces when asked to repair it...:-d

Or maybe its true failure point is beyond that and just gave it a very conservative 600m rating, who knows :p

41 - 60 of 77 Posts