WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang....

This is actually my first post (but I've lurked here for forever). I should have done this sooner considering how obsessed I am with watches.

I just bought an Omega 3523.81.00 and I was hoping someone might know about this specific model. It's a really cool Omega Speedy Day-Date automatic (with the Valjoux movement, not the stacked movement in the other reduced models), but what makes it unique is that it's got the blue dial, reverse panda sundials, and Arabic numerals.

I've read descriptions from online sellers saying it was a limited edition, and made only for the Japanese market. Im pretty sure the statement about it being for Japan is true, but I haven't found anything to confirm its a limited edition.

So...do any of you know what the deal is? Or is there a good resource for me to do my own research on JDM Omegas?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share. Picture attached....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Nice watch

It seems to be a Japanese limited edition in which only 1000 were made in 2002

Here is one on a Rolex forum

Odds are you cannot see the pics as you have to be a member of that forum to see them but here is one of the pics. This pic belongs to the owner Maxtor

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
REF 35238100 - W SP AUTO JAP ST/ST BLUE

Definitely made for Japan, but no edition size is mentioned on the Omega Extranet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, guys. I ended up finding more info on it based on the links and reference number you guys supplied. I found out that it is, apparently, a limited edition according to a few sources including WorthPoint, an online appraisal and researching site that looks pretty legit. According them, "This is the very elusive Omega Speedmaster Model 3523.81 of which only 1000 were produced for the Japanese market in 2002." (Source: OMEGA SPEEDMASTER TRIPLE DATE: Stainless Steel | #1000838437).

I'd love it either way, but I do think it's a little cooler now being so unique. I'd be saving up for a Moon watch when this watch caught my eye and I immediately fell in love. I know there's no real substitute for the Speedy Pro, but this doesn't look like a substitute at all. It definitely has its own personality. Buying this has set back my collection goals by a few months for sure, but the heart wants what the heart wants...And I guess my heart wanted an 8-hand watch....Who would have guessed?

It's arriving tomorrow, so we'll see how much I love it in person. I'm a little concerned about the size—I briefly owned a 39mm JDM Speedy Date with a panda dial for a minute, and that felt small to me. That watch arrived not working, so I sent it back after only trying it on for less than a minute and putting it back in the box. I have a feeling with a little more wrist time I would have gotten used to the 39mm size. When I got my first Omega, a 39mm Railmaster 2503.52.00, that felt underwhelmingly small when I opened the box, too. But now, it actually seems kind of large on my wrist.

Again, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, guys. The watch arrives tomorrow and I'll post a couple of pics when I get it. Hopefully, I'll love it. If not, back it goes and I'll just keep saving for the Pro.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good looking watch. Haven't seen this version of the day/ date. I've owned the speedmaster date before (3513), and I liked it quite a bit. While I did wish it was 40mm, it still felt great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Coincidentally, I was looking for some more information yesterday on this watch on Google as I have the same one and came across this new thread!

You will be very pleased with your purchase.

I've had mine now for around 3 years and normally it is my daily but I need to have the clasp repaired (the sliding mechanism had a rivet or something similar I think to stop it sliding off). If anyone has any ideas here how to repair myself it would be appreciated!

Here are some images of mine.

Enjoy and looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get your timepiece!

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Omega made a great number of different versions of these watches with little tweaks, based on the 1151 and 1152 movements. I just checked how many different watch models used the 1151 movement - there are 117. Different dials, bezels, some on straps, some on bracelets, some gold, some steel, some both - there are a ton of these variations that most people haven't ever seen. Many of them were made for the Japanese market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Coincidentally, I was looking for some more information yesterday on this watch on Google as I have the same one and came across this new thread!

You will be very pleased with your purchase.

I've had mine now for around 3 years and normally it is my daily but I need to have the clasp repaired (the sliding mechanism had a rivet or something similar I think to stop it sliding off). If anyone has any ideas here how to repair myself it would be appreciated!

Here are some images of mine.

Enjoy and looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get your timepiece!
View attachment 15360577
View attachment 15360579
View attachment 15360582
View attachment 15360586
Thanks for sharing the pics...And I'm glad to know you've loved it so much.

Any chance you have some pics of it on straps? One of the best things about buying a new watch, to me, is the fun of playing around with strap combos once you've got it. I started making my own leather straps when the covid lockdown started, which is good since the 19mm lug width on this watch is very uncommon and makes buying straps much harder. Considering the time and effort it takes to make a good one, I could definitely use some inspiration/ideas before starting that project. (Or rather, projects, really. I have a feeling making straps just for this one watch is going to turn into an obsession for the next month or so.)

About your clasp issue....that clasp looks like the same kind that's on my Railmaster 2503. Mine broke after owning it about a month. I had it repaired by my watchmaker when I had it serviced and he got pissed at me when I picked it up. He said if he knew how difficult the clasp repair would be he would have charged me another $200 (on top of the $500 he charged for the service). The worst part is that the repair he didn't hold and it broke anyway after another month or so. Lesson learned: next time I'll just send it to Omega and let them fix everything, and replace what they need to, for one price. Stupid of me to try and save a lousy $50 to properly maintain a $3000 watch.

So...yeah, that clasp CAN be repaired, but it's better to replace it, IMO. In fact, your post just reminded me to contact Omega again and try to buy a replacement part. Hopefully it's not offensively expensive (as OEM replacement parts can be).

In case you're interested, I've attached some pics of the latet strap I made (a bund). If the bracelet is on mine is jangly when it arrives later today, It's almost certain to go on that bund. I've found bund. straps are perfect for giving a smaller watch more wrist presence. (I also attached a pic of the busted clasp thats similar to yours on my Railmaster.)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It arrived!!!

I haven't sharpened my skills at photographing watches yet, but check it out. This thing is way more gorgeous in person. I just got a BB58 about a month ago and I swore (to my wife) that I wouldn't buy another watch for at least year, but I'm glad I did it anyway. Because I'm head over heels in love. And what I love best about it is that this watch is that it's the opposite of the Tudor. In a good way.

The black bay is romantic and brooding with it's black and gold color scheme. The blue and silver of this speedy is fun and bright. The 58 is as legible as a watch can be; a 3 hander that does one thing with a singular purpose: it tells the time. The speedy has 8 (8!) hands and tells you everything everything about time that you ever would need to know. The black bay exudes warmth, perhaps more than any watch I've ever seen. This speedy is ice cold. The ying and yang effect of owning these two watches makes me love both of them even more.

I used to think of versatility as a benchmark of a great watch, which of course it can be. But now that I have a pretty well rounded collection, I've come to appreciate that a great watch doesn't need to be versatile. It just has to have it's own personality. Versatile is great, don't get me wrong, but specificity might be even better. I don't need one watch to do everything. I think now I prefer to have the right watch to do one thing perfectly.

Of course, being a collector means you're never really satisfied. So my one criticism is that the date hand has some visible corrosion. Considering it's age, that's to be expected, and maybe even desired by some collectors. But I'm not one of those collectors. Because this piece looks damn near close to mint otherwise, I do notice it. It's not a heartbreaker, but in my mind I'm already starting the hunt for an incredibly rare part to replace it.

In fact, if anyone knows where to source a date hand for a rare, limited edition watch that was only sold in Japan, please let me know.

Thanks again for all your insights, fellas. I should have been active on this forum a long time ago. I really do have a passion for these crazy things, and in my personal life I don't know anyone else who does. My wife frankly hates it, and my friends couldn't care less. Not only that, I've barely seen anybody outside my house in 6 months. Nobody I know really understands the joy these watches bring to me. Being on lockdown has sharpened my sense of time even more than ever. Having watches that engage me every time I look at my wrist has helped me process this wierd time we're living through. I'm sure most of you know what I mean.

Anyway....I'm glad to be here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your purchase Dean, it looks stunning in the shots you have taken. When the light hits that dial it sure does 'pop'.

To answer your question about the strap, I haven't changed it I'm afraid but nkw that you've put that idea in my head I may put it on a blue and grey nato; similar to the official Omega one if I can get hold of a decent one. I intend to get the bracelet repaired though if possible as I much prefer steel bracelets to straps to be honest.

It seems like we have similar tastes....I've just put a deposit down at my AD on a blue BB58 as a treat to myself with having no holidays this year. Hope to get it this year but I am patient, it can wait.

Finally, I wonder if the corroded date hand is a common thing on this model. If you zoom in on a couple of the images I posted, I also have the same issue (it was present when I bought the watch). Strangely, I do think it adds a bit of character.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you are enjoying your purchase Dean, it looks stunning in the shots you have taken. When the light hits that dial it sure does 'pop'.

To answer your question about the strap, I haven't changed it I'm afraid but nkw that you've put that idea in my head I may put it on a blue and grey nato; similar to the official Omega one if I can get hold of a decent one. I intend to get the bracelet repaired though if possible as I much prefer steel bracelets to straps to be honest.

It seems like we have similar tastes....I've just put a deposit down at my AD on a blue BB58 as a treat to myself with having no holidays this year. Hope to get it this year but I am patient, it can wait.

Finally, I wonder if the corroded date hand is a common thing on this model. If you zoom in on a couple of the images I posted, I also have the same issue (it was present when I bought the watch). Strangely, I do think it adds a bit of character.
I made my first strap for this guy today. Check it out...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts