WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed something when I was looking at my DW8250-9YT just now.
There is a sign underneath the CASIO marking on the dial of the watch, a " -o- "
Does anyone know what that stand for?
Please have a look at the picture below if my question is not making any sense :)
thanks

strange o below casio.jpg

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
It's just to fill the space and make it look complete

The designer probably tried leaving it blank and then, after trying lots of things, thought 'Ah yes what we need is a - O -'

and his boss then said unto him , Cool - send it to production buddy boy and lets go to the pub

- O -​

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
It's just to fill the space and make it look complete

The designer probably tried leaving it blank and then, after trying lots of things, thought 'Ah yes what we need is a - O -'

and his boss then said unto him , Cool - send it to production buddy boy and lets go to the pub

- O -
Seriously - I believe it it as I describe above , there's probably a special name for those characters ending a paragraph. You all most have seen them in books

I know its not a paragraph on the watch, but it's just like underlining it I suppose

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
My guess is that it is an alignment mark used during manufacturing - optical sensor in the assembly machine ID's the mark as a reference and thus assures proper alignment of component fit.

Of course, I have no backup or "proof" that is the case, but it makes engineering sense - to me, anyway. ;-)

HTH

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense to me,
this makes me wonder what sort of engineering advancement is responsible for the absence of such a marking on the more recent g-shock models.
Could you perhaps shed some light on this?

My guess is that it is an alignment mark used during manufacturing - optical sensor in the assembly machine ID's the mark as a reference and thus assures proper alignment of component fit.

Of course, I have no backup or "proof" that is the case, but it makes engineering sense - to me, anyway. ;-)

HTH

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
My suggestion is along the same lines as the < and the > in gold at either end of "FROGMAN" - just fancy frill to fill it out ;-)

They could have done that with CASIO but they'd already used that idea on FROGMAN ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts