WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aquadive BS-100 diver uses a "top grade" ETA 2836-2 movement tuned in-house to COSC accuracy and isochronism standards. It is my understanding that the 2836-2 movement is essentially the same as the 2824-2 except for: 1) the additional complication for Day in addition to Date; and 2) the date changes instantly at midnight instead of gradually rolling over during the preceding hour. This watch, however, has only a Date window rather than Day/Date, so the additional complication is not used.

Why would Aquadive use the 2836-2 movement if they don't use the Day/Date complication? Besides the quick date change, are there any other benefits of this movement? Is it considered an upgrade over the 2824-2 in terms of quality or durability?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
This was posted in another thread:

Several reason why you use a 2836-2 over a 2824-2:

1) Buy in bulk, save money. The more units you can purchase the cheaper to can get them per unit.

2) Common casees (see #1). The 2824 and the 2836 have different stem heights, so if you use 2824s you will have to get separate cases for these.

3) Common dials (see #1). the 2836, because of the taller stem height requires longer feet on the dial.

4) All other components of the 2824 and 2836 are interchangable, so for them it doesn't matter which you use.

Why the 2836-2 can be cheaper:

1) The 2836 and the 2834, aren't quite as popular as the 2824-2, so they are sold and a lower price.

2) Sometimes overruns of 2834-2, the least popular of the bunch are reworked into 2836-2, since all parts except the day dial and plastic spacer are the same.

·
Registered
20,739 Posts
Yes, they just buy a whole container of it to negociate some serious discount.

The 2836-2 is more versatile than the 2824/2892 as the day feature can be optional.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,407 Posts
It is all about availability since Swatch Group is reducing selling ebauches to other companies.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is all about availability since Swatch Group is reducing selling ebauches to other companies.
Thanks for the responses. The AD is a big thick watch so the size of the stem/case may have had something to do with it. Also, the quick date change is a nice feature. But it seems like a waste to have a Day complication and not use it. I suspect the main reason is as you say...volume pricing from ETA/Swatch.

·
Premium Member
23,123 Posts
I believe that the ETA 2836-2 is more readily available, and hence cheaper. The disadvantage is that it is slightly thicker.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It is kind of odd if the day window is omitted, but the reasons above make sense.

I work until the early hours of the morning and often need the day & date for paperwork after midnight, so I'm a huge fan of my Damasko's instant change at midnight. My new Monster is agonizingly slow, about three hours before the day and date have rolled over, so I doubt it will see as much wrist time on work days as I thought it could...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've spoke with Bill Yao of MK II watches in the past, and he said he likes using the 2836 without day in his date only military inspired watch designs precisely because of the instant date change. It seems more in keeping with a precision military instrument.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Both my Diastar 40 Chronometer and my Hyperchrome Golden Horse Chronometer from Rado use 2836-2 with the day left out. In their case I doubt it is a question of availablity, but could be the instant change.

aaP1010236 by hankblanc, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
23,123 Posts
Doesn't the date change over pretty crisply on an ETA 2824-2?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've spoke with Bill Yao of MK II watches in the past, and he said he likes using the 2836 without day in his date only military inspired watch designs precisely because of the instant date change. It seems more in keeping with a precision military instrument.
I always thought he offered an option. It seems like I had the choice of getting my Sea Fighter with either a 2824 or 2836, and I wanted day because I'm a big Seiko5 fan. Maybe I'm misremembering.

·
Registered
20,739 Posts
The 2892 has instant date change.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
My Aquadive BS-100 diver uses a "top grade" ETA 2836-2 movement tuned in-house to COSC accuracy and isochronism standards. It is my understanding that the 2836-2 movement is essentially the same as the 2824-2 except for: 1) the additional complication for Day in addition to Date; and 2) the date changes instantly at midnight instead of gradually rolling over during the preceding hour. This watch, however, has only a Date window rather than Day/Date, so the additional complication is not used.

Why would Aquadive use the 2836-2 movement if they don't use the Day/Date complication? Besides the quick date change, are there any other benefits of this movement? Is it considered an upgrade over the 2824-2 in terms of quality or durability?
First, both the 2824 and 2836 have instant change on the calendar displays.

As to the reasons why a company would use a blanked off 2836 over a regular 2824.

1) availability of 2836s - it might be esaier to get the 2836
2) cost - they might be cheaper
3) case compatibility - they might have gotten a deal on cases - for a 2836
4) production line compatibility - maybe they have (or plan) to offer a day/date and don't feel like buy two types of cases
5) The dial producer screwed up his dial order?
6) any, or all of the above.....

Reactions: ArticMan

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
First, both the 2824 and 2836 have instant change on the calendar displays.

As to the reasons why a company would use a blanked off 2836 over a regular 2824.

1) availability of 2836s - it might be esaier to get the 2836
2) cost - they might be cheaper
3) case compatibility - they might have gotten a deal on cases - for a 2836
4) production line compatibility - maybe they have (or plan) to offer a day/date and don't feel like buy two types of cases
5) The dial producer screwed up his dial order?
6) any, or all of the above.....
All good reasons, but none of them explain why Rado would use them for Limited Editions in cases made for 2824s and add the cost of COSC certification. There must be another reason we do not know about.

·
Premium Member
23,123 Posts
All good reasons, but none of them explain why Rado would use them for Limited Editions in cases made for 2824s and add the cost of COSC certification. There must be another reason we do not know about.
But, you can't use a 2836-2 in a case made for a 2824-2. The movement is thicker, and the stem position is different. You can get either the 2836-2 or the 2824-2 in chronometer grade straight from ETA, or you can get them COSC certified after the fact.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have two 2824-2's and a 2804-2 and they all have instant date change at 12. I just checked them.

So it's probably avalability and cheaper cost like others have said.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Well, as mleok said, the cases can't be the same. But, why would any of the reasons I put forth not explain Rado's limited edition?

A COSC 2836-2 might have been available at a really, really good price at the time of the "limited edition". (reasons #1 & #2)
They might have gotten a really good deal on 2836-2 cases (#3)
etc, etc . . . .

Unless we have access to Rado's production line notes and records, we'll never know why Rado chose the movement they chose....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts