WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My grandfather died in 1979. He was given the Tissot purchased below as a retirement gift during the 1960s (I think it was during the early 1960s). In 2008, my mother found this watch in her attic. It had been sitting in a box since 1979. She gave it to me. I immediately had it serviced and it's been in the rotation ever since. I have had it serviced a total of three times since 2008. It generally keeps good time, but after about three years it loses accuracy. I wear the watch for a week or two every couple of months. So, vintage Tissot experts, here are my questions:

1) So far, the watch hasn't needed any movement parts. I am concerned about this going forward. I assume it eventually will need movement parts. How hard will these be to find? Is it easy to find aftermarket parts for this movement?

2) I don't have the movement serial number, but I have the numbers from the case: 43524 445243X. What do these numbers mean? Can I date the watch from these numbers? I am going to ask for the movement serial number during its next service.

3) I have noticed something a little odd about this watch relative to photos I have seen of other vintage seastar sevens. I know the pic is not the greatest quality, but you may be able to see that the words "swiss made" sit between the minute markers and the case (and it makes the words a little hard to see). I have noticed in other photos of these watches that "swiss made" is on the opposite side of the minute markers. Does the location of the words "swiss made" on my watch provide any clues about its production year?

Thanks!!!!

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I looks early 1960s to me, I had one which was dated to 1963. I think it houses a 784 auto, the parts are still available, but now may be a good time to pick up a 'parts' movement which you see listed on ebay from time to time. The case numbers are just that, I'm not aware of being to date the watch with these? If you only wear the watch for a max of three months per year I am surprised it starts to fail after three years (or nine months of use) I would expect years service form a newly serviced one of these.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Early 1960s makes sense. I think that is right around the time he retired. It is still OK after three years, but it starts to lose accuracy a bit. I have been using a local watchmaker but have considered sending it away somewhere the next time. There are very few watchmakers in my area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts