WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and new to G-Shock watches.

Been looking a while for an ABC watch and came across G-Shock watches.

Have a few quetsions, hopefully someone can help, i've tried doing my own research on the net but can't seem to find much. Just watch a lot of youtube vids and reviews etc to help find things out.

Is there much difference between the Rangeman and the Gulfmaster?
I know the Gulfmaster is analog as well, and looks slightly diff, but is there much difference?

I'm more interested in performance difference, such as the Altimeter, does it show you above sea level for each and then if its in altitude mode will keep refreshing every few seconds?

The only difference I could find as far as features go is the Rangeman has sunrise/sunset whereas the Gulfmaster has Moon? What does the moon function exactly do or what can it tell me?

Just really unsure which one to get between the two, or maybe there is another model I haven't really seen!

For myself it will be my daily.

I do a fair bit of dirt bike riding in the bush, along with also hunting, camping, hiking etc.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Thats a valid and interesting question!

I'll be happy to share some of my experiences with these two watches who, due to my outdoor activities rank up right as my favorites in the collection...
Will have to do this later, though, as it is middle of the night here in Europe now. I'll try and come back though, for now let me feed you some visual inspiration.
These are both great and great-looking watches!!

20141201_150413.jpg

20141201_135359.jpg

Foto-Kopie-3.jpg

IMG_7675-2-700.jpg

IMG_8253-3-1000.jpg

IMG_8150-3-1000.jpg

DSCF0143-2.jpg

DSC_6657-2-1000.jpg

DSCF2778.jpg

DSCF2726.jpg

As you can see.... I like them all and REALLY couldnt just choose one....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks GripMaster, looking at those pics has just confused me even more!!! Still don't know which one to get...

Did you take those pics yourself? Love the 2nd photo, with the top of the mountains poking through the clouds...

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Have both as well, and it is a difficult choice which I avoided by choosing both. IMO the decision is made easier by the fact that the only positive screen Gulfmaster is the JDM Blue version. The other negative screens are harder to read in some light conditions.

So, if you don't want to chase down a blue Gulfmaster from Japan, get a positive Rangeman. The blue goes for nearly double what a yellow can be bought for.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

3 modified to positive screen Rangeman, Navy, Green and Red come negative in stock form.
Black, Grey and yellow come positive from Casio. Actually Black is available both ways.

Yellow, green and Grey are out of production, but still widely available. Navy may soon be out of production as well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have both, i prefer the alti on rangeman because it you can reset the reference altitude easily and shows the height in every meter. Gulfmaster is harder to see and the second hand shows in either 10 or 100m difference.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Have both, i prefer the alti on rangeman because it you can reset the reference altitude easily and shows the height in every meter. Gulfmaster is harder to see and the second hand shows in either 10 or 100m difference.
There used to be a neat Youtube video of the Rangeman with 2 guys in a car driving up a mountain, and the Rangeman altitude increasing and agreeing with the road markers all the way up the hill.

Cannot find the video anymore.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
thanks GripMaster, looking at those pics has just confused me even more!!! Still don't know which one to get...

Did you take those pics yourself? Love the 2nd photo, with the top of the mountains poking through the clouds...
Yeah - sorry about that... I thought it might... but as you can see from the yankeemadness up next, the choice is big, so you just have to jump right in!

Yes thats all my photos and my G-Shocks.. if you spend some more time in this forum, you'll notice I have a tendency to bring back a lot of photos from my G-xcursions around the world. Go on the link on the photos, G-Shock Visions | , for more of my photos, and - for more confusion or ideally inspiration.:roll:

gotta run, literally - clear blue sky, sun is touching the first mountain tops. One of them is mine today! and see - right there I have to decide: Rangeman or Gulfy? Life was so much easier when I just had to pick the shoes for that trail...o|o|o|

OK some serious opinion later - cause I do have one..

OH - no post without a pic!

GiantsOnWhite2-800.jpg

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i also have both, performance wise, if you are after the Altimeter function, Rangeman hands down. the Gulfmaster is made for tide and weather and the analog dial IMHO is prettier than the rangeman. also keep in mind the rangeman is generally cheaper and easier to find (at least where i am)

it really all depends on which of their triple sensors fit with-in your criteria, most of us just had to have both :)

here are more pics to confuse you even more ;)

some say its hard to read but...

comparo with a basic square

very very impressed with this baby tho...

i too, turn the altimeter on and record my highest and lowest elevation points ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Another point to add, the graph on gulfmaster is only 5 point vertical, so if the pressure changed drastically, you might see a single dot for the baro without knowing previous readings.unless you turn on the baro indicator on the tiny hand. Rangeman's vertical graph is 7 or 8 dots.
That being said, i still love my gulfmaster

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
They're both V3 sensors. In addition to what's already mentioned, spec-wise the differences are:
- The Rangeman's mud resistant, which Gulfmaster's not.
- Better stopwatch in Rangeman (1000h range, 1/100 precision) vs. Gulfmaster (24h range, 1/100 precision)
- Better timer in Rangeman (24h range, 1min increment setting) vs. Gulfmaster (60min range, 1min increment setting)
- Rangeman has sunrise/sunset data, which Gulfmaster doesn't have.
- Rangeman has 40 records memory, which Gulfmaster doesn't have.
- On the other hand, the Gulfmaster has moon data and tide graph, which the Rangeman doesn't have.

Also the Gulfmaster being an analog, just like any other analog ABC watches, are more susceptible to mechanical malfunction of the hands due to excess use for pointing at readings, and susceptible to magnetization of the hands due to external magnetic sources. Once the hands become magnetized, the readings will no longer be accurate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i'm more inclined to the rangeman, and especially after watchgeek2014 said....
i think i figured it out....i like the features of the rangeman, but like the look of the gulfmaster.

decisions decisions....will go into a store today and see if i can try them on, hopefully one will grab me more than the other!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Much has been said already about functionality. While running down the mountain today (with a Rangeman), I was thinking of your question again, and it occurred to me that a primary question is simply wether you will want to read the watch "in action". If you want to actually consult altitude or stopwatch while running, hiking, biking, you need to have first of all a positive display. This eliminates many models and as has been pointed out. Especially the negative Rangemen all fail miserably in this respect. And really, it eliminates the Gulfmaster as well. Even the positive blue model I have is limited for reading in a glance, not to mention that during 10 minutes of every hour, the digital window is obstructed! For an actual action watch, this is not what you want and a Rangeman will much better.
If you're fine to stop for checking altitude or at least have time for it and dont move in dangerous terrain, it can work of course. And then the question of which shape and type of watch does one prefer takes over. I am a big Gulfmaster fan, take it into the mountains and am also willing to live with the weaknesses mentioned, simply because I like the watch. objectively, though, that makes little sense. For serious mountain sports, trailrunning etc, I will always go back to my suuntos.
but we here are all G-Shock fans one way or the other, and me no less... so I systematically try to justify taking one of them along even if my Ambit does everything better except recharge with solar power which it cant. but the G-Shocks just look much cooler.
And the advice that doesnt help if one wants to get just one watch - simply get one of each... is not as stupid as it sounds.
definitely helpful would be to try them both on and see them live. I predict that when you have them both in hand you will KNOW which one is right for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys you have all been really helpful!
So went in tonight to the shops and tried on a rangeman. Loved it!!! So decision made. Or so I thought...
Is the negative display that bad?? I would stop to read it, as in, wouldn't be running or anything while trying to check info...
really like the Japanese version, black with negative and carbon strap. I can get it for $400 delivered...
but might actually buy the green with negative, for 315, and buy the band and cover for 110.
So basically two diff colour watches...for a little more than the jap version...
Only difference is no carbon strap or red eye, the green is yellow only yeah?

And I need to buy off eBay, unfortunately the retail if the rangman here in Australia, $549. What a joke!

But yeah, if I do get the green then strap and cover, is it an easy swap?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Thanks guys you have all been really helpful!
So went in tonight to the shops and tried on a rangeman. Loved it!!! So decision made. Or so I thought...
Is the negative display that bad?? I would stop to read it, as in, wouldn't be running or anything while trying to check info...
really like the Japanese version, black with negative and carbon strap. I can get it for $400 delivered...
but might actually buy the green with negative, for 315, and buy the band and cover for 110.
So basically two diff colour watches...for a little more than the jap version...
Only difference is no carbon strap or red eye, the green is yellow only yeah?

And I need to buy off eBay, unfortunately the retail if the rangman here in Australia, $549. What a joke!

But yeah, if I do get the green then strap and cover, is it an easy swap?
Sounds like you're moving forward - great!
you will get many different opinions on the display question, thats something everyone has to decide for himself, ultimately.
there have been kilometers of threads on this subject, especially since the Rangeman is out...
From my point of view, it's like this: Olive was my very first Rangeman. Bought it because of the color. I am keeping it only because of
the sense of completion of the set of Rangemen but never wear it. literally never. The (to me anyways) most basic rule, that a watch should, if nothing else, at least tell time, is just ridiculed by this negative display. For sure, if one stands still, orients the watch this way and that, one can read it.
But the great functionality of the Rangeman as a watch is simply not done any justice by the negative versions.
That doesnt change the fact that the watch itself looks great and that negative displays are kind of a fashionable thing. and not just on the Rangemen.
It's like what I said about the Gulfmaster: is it practical on the mountain to have the minute hand block out the altitude reading at x:25 - x:35? no! is it a damn fine watch to have on your wrist and do I just take the time to de- and reactivate the altimeter so the hand moves and I can see the numbers? absolutely! Do I take my Red Rangeman on a bikeride? yes, but not because it does a good job telling time, but because I love that red monster on the wrist and it goes with my red cyclocrossbike!
The best Rangeman functionwise is one with a positive display. period. but the best one for you is the one you like. so if olive green is the color you want then you must get the olive rangeman. now that you are aware of its weakness, you may not be, as I was, terribly disappointed when you receive it...
and, like those people in the city, who deliberately do without gears, freewheeels and brakes on their bikes, you can just say NO to sanity and progress and say YES to being a freak for olive negative. that can be a very cool lifestyle choice. many here in the forum have unreasonable watches for even more unreasonable reasons, and I certainly count myself among them. and we can go on for hours, talking about them, too!
in any case, if you get this Rangeman, chances are, you will eventually get another one. it's a fact of life. so you might as well start with an olive, especially as they are going to become rare, the'y not being made anymore!

and yes, the swap of the band is child's play, the swap of the rest is really easy as well, even I sucessfully did this just last week... so your second solution seems very smart to me! two Rangers in one. great!
read yankee's helpful thread here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rangeman-proposition-make-positive-green-rangeman-948861.html
careful, a spare set of bezel and band comes (or at leat it did in my case) without the 4 decorative screws on top. they can be taken out and put in the new one but it was the hardes part of the procedure... but you can do it!

go for it and present us your new Rangeman!

SE-Rangedouble600.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts