WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

To put the context clear, I'm currently looking into buying my first (and last) Omega watch. It has been on my todo list for 10 years now so I think its about time :)

First I was tempted by the aqua terra, but having worn it a couple of times now in the airport boutiques, i dont find it special anymore. In a way it is too much like my visodate, which may sound crazy to you but thats how it feels to me.

By accident today in the airport I decided to try the iconic speedmaster. It was on a leather strap. Oh my. I liked it very much.

It seems that I tried the version http://m.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/numbered-edition-39-7-mm/31132403001001

I loved the size of the watch case, but the strap was really really thin/narrow. is this due to a bad leather strap choice from omega? Or would a non omega strap also have to be that narrow?

Can someone expla to me, is this what on the forum people refer to as the reduced? Does anyone have side by side size comparison of the 39 and 42mm versions? Are movements in both watches the same? Based on the omega website it seems yes? Does anyone own this watch and care to share pics and thoughts?

In advance, many thanks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In addition, can anyone share the price id look to buy this at in the US? I will be there for work, so may be buying it there. But i'd appreciate some price guidance. Pricing of this exact model as well as the current 42mm moonwatch. Price for a new one, not second hand.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If indeed the watch you tried was the one you linked, that is the FOIS version (First Omega in Space) and is kind of a remake of the actual watch worn to space on Sigma 7 (Mercury program).

I recommend you find a dealer that has a standard Speedmaster Pro with hesalite crystal on a bracelet instead of leather. There are so many aftermarket options for straps, it really makes more sense to buy on bracelet and then purchase other straps later. The Speedy Pro looks good on anything. One of the downsides to the FOIS is it has 19mm width lugs, which makes finding other strap options more difficult.

The actual "size" of the FOIS is the same as the Speedy Pro in terms of bezel width. The case itself is also the same size except the FOIS omits crown guards which makes up for the 2mm difference between the FOIS (40mm) and the Speedy Pro (42mm). The lugs on the FOIS are straight. Overall, the FOIS may appear to wear a little smaller although the bezel and dial are the same size.

The FOIS and Speedy Pro movements are identical.

I've never worn an Omega on an Omega strap for any longer than a few minutes, but I have heard/read that they are of exceptional quality. Worth the money?? I don't know, that's a subjective question.

The Speedmaster Reduced is a completely different beast. It has a smaller case and an automatic movement. In my opinion, there is something odd about the subdial placement on the Reduced. It is also no longer in production.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't really help you with the pricing piece. That really depends on the dealer and what kind of discount they are willing to provide. I know someone may jump in here and PM you with some dealer contact info.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One word: Moonwatch. Nevermind the rest. It will last a lifetime and you'll probably never get bored of it. End of story.
I wear mine on all kinds of Cordovan leather straps, and it's super confortable. The bracelet is allright but way too heavy. I can't stand it anymore. Get it with the watch and store it in a drawer for future use if you wish.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
It is a fantastic watch. I have a 42mm Speedmaster Pro Moonphase, and love it. For me, 42mm is about the perfect size.

I agree that you should buy it on the bracelet, and then buy other straps. I love the bracelet that comes with it, I also have about 15 other 20mm strap styles I wear with it too. Other straps are a lot less expensive too. I actually just put the bracelet back on today for the first time in a while, here is what it looks like currently (I have about a 7.25" wrist)

Wrist Watch Fashion accessory Analog watch Jewellery

1 - 5 of 5 Posts