WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quite excited to notice this Seiko 6105-8119 in a $25. junk bag. Running nicely so far. The locking crown does still lock properly. Two issues : Scratched hardlex Crystal- would you suggest attempting to polish thes scratches or try to find an original crown? Are NOS ones available? Does it matter for originality and or value? Second: the bezel will not move. Any ideas on how to get it to release? ie lubricants? Muscle?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nice find! I'm assuming you mean crystal and not crown. That crystal looks pretty rough, replacement is best. To do the crystal you'll have to remove the bezel so you can see what's going on with at that point.
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grazie! I plan to do so. There is more wrong with the Bezel than just being stuck. To my watchmaker tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Nice find

If you have a watchmaker that is good at polishing, he/she can polish it out and make it look good. My watchmaker could not get a crystal for my Seiko 6139 at the time of service so he polished the original one out and it looks great.

Take it in for a full service. Those 6105 models command big prices and the original unmolested ones quite a lot so spending a few hundred on servicing it is an investment

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JF, good advice. And I will see if my watchmaker might want to take a shot at polishing the Crystal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
what a find...and good for you...I just got my Dad's back on friday from a watch repair service, via the internet. All I asked was get it running, replace crystal, and free up the bazel. It took 6 months and a return of the first attempt. His web site says business is in "hyatias" and not accepting any more work.
I got what I paid for and am happy. I wasn't sure I ever see it again...My father beat it up badly as it was an everyday driver, he was a machinist and industrial electrian building size "big" heavy duty test equipment. I wanted to hang on to that memory, therefore no cosmetic work.

bernie

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@bernietech. Yea it's amazing how long you need to wait sometime. I wanted to send this to someone familiar with the model. But Klein vintage for example has a 14 month backlog. I'm going to let my watchmaker take a look. He didn't want to work on my Pogue because he said they frustrate him. Or maybe it was my Navigator with the rotating inner bezel. Can't remember which. But I can therefore trust him to only take the work he is confident in. And he has been nice enough to show me the high end stuff he has worked on recently i.e. an Audemars ( amazingly thin) and this incredible 18K diamond studded (even the 18k buckle) Roger Dubuis. Fun to see such pieces.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Incredible bargain, lately 6105s have gotten way up there, as in $1k or even more. So you got a great deal assuming it’s all original.

If your watchmaker signals he’s uncomfortable working a vintage Seiko diver I’d suggest you find another. Congrats

1 - 13 of 13 Posts