WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a beautiful dial on this watch. It really recalls a look of days gone by and I like the way the chrono registers are arranged.

My questions are two fold:

1. Why did Ball choose to go with a stacked (modular movement) as opposed to modifying an existing chrono. Stacked movements are something that we see when necessary (moonphase, tidal come to mind)but there seems to be no reason to do so for a chrono.
Why was a modular approach selected and what are the advantages as Ball sees them?

2. I think the accuracy discovery is most interesting indeed and must have Ball folks happy. How did you figure out that the accuracy problem was attributable to the second hand?

I look forward to learning more about this most interesting model.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, can you share with us the process of creating the enamel dial. It is exquisite.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Let me take a stab at this.

I think this is a SOPROD made movement (base calibre 2892-2 with underdial work by soprod.)

This is a workhorse. Several other companies have used the SOPROD movements (most notably Panerai and Martin Braun)

Soprod does the underdial work and we worked with them on this. This is a particular design that Switzerland tells us in ONLY FOR Ball.

Jeff Hess

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff:

Do I have it right?

Soprod paired the excellent 2892, whose design doesn't always lend itself to modular use, and then fitted the module to that, with the complications of the two sub dial chrono, the 45 minute register, and the seconds hand at 3pm.

It wasn't so much a Ball decision to use a "stacked Chrono" so much as a Ball decision to be the exclusive end user of this Soprod/ETA modular timepiece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts