WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is the software updateable?
2. I read in a review several months old that the stopwatch mode doesn't display the current time. Is this correct?
3. I've seen in a couple of videos that there is a UTC time complication. Can it be set to any time zone, or is it fixed to UTC?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
2. I read in a review several months old that the stopwatch mode doesn't display the current time. Is this correct?
3. I've seen in a couple of videos that there is a UTC time complication. Can it be set to any time zone, or is it fixed to UTC?

1. Yes. Software is updateable through either the Garmin Connect App on your smartphone, or through Garmin Express on your computer. When I received my Instinct in October last year it came with System Software Version 2.60 and GPS Software Version 2.30. I updated System to v.2.80 on January 10, 2019, updated the GPS software to 2.50 on February 26, updated System to 3.10 on March 1, and System to 4.00 on May 9. Various optional Beta software versions were also available during this period.

2. Yes. Current time is not displayed while in Stopwatch mode.

3. If you are referring to the UTC complication available on the main watchface, it is fixed to UTC - it cannot be set to any other time zone.

HTH

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thorough reply.

No matter how many hi tech features they cram into those watches they always seem to fail to implement the basic (by Casio standards) watch features; AFAIK there isn't a single fitness watch with those functions.

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
1. Yes. Software is updateable through either the Garmin Connect App on your smartphone, or through Garmin Express on your computer. When I received my Instinct in October last year it came with System Software Version 2.60 and GPS Software Version 2.30. I updated System to v.2.80 on January 10, 2019, updated the GPS software to 2.50 on February 26, updated System to 3.10 on March 1, and System to 4.00 on May 9. Various optional Beta software versions were also available during this period.

2. Yes. Current time is not displayed while in Stopwatch mode.

3. If you are referring to the UTC complication available on the main watchface, it is fixed to UTC - it cannot be set to any other time zone.

HTH
Garmin could provide a software update to show the current time in Stopwatch mode, and to show an alternative to UTC as a second time zone on the main timekeeping screen. This is the beauty of having a watch that allows software updates. I'm kind of surprised they haven't updated these two features already, given all the other things they have updated.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Yeah, therein lies the conundrum surrounding state-of-the-art GPS-based ABC so-called smartwatches these days.

On one hand, we have Garmin, a company that dabbles in the highest levels of GPS instrumentation in an unparalleled fashion, yet they seemingly insist on dropping the ball on simple features on their smartwatches that their competition has offered, in their regular watches no less, for many years.

Then, on the other hand, there's Casio that distinctly comes across, through their paperweight products so far, as fuddy-duddy when it comes to smartwatches. Casio is just so far behind in this arena, that it makes me think they will never be able to catch up. They just don't seem to have the engineering wherewithal to begin to compete with Garmin. Then again, it's not like Garmin shows any zeal in being on top of this game either.

We live in exciting times, I guess, not knowing who will in the end offer the goods. Garmin? Casio? Or an as yet unknown company.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yeah, therein lies the conundrum surrounding state-of-the-art GPS-based ABC so-called smartwatches these days.

On one hand, we have Garmin, a company that dabbles in the highest levels of GPS instrumentation in an unparalleled fashion, yet they seemingly insist on dropping the ball on simple features on their smartwatches that their competition has offered, in their regular watches no less, for many years.

Then, on the other hand, there's Casio that distinctly comes across, through their paperweight products so far, as fuddy-duddy when it comes to smartwatches. Casio is just so far behind in this arena, that it makes me think they will never be able to catch up. They just don't seem to have the engineering wherewithal to begin to compete with Garmin. Then again, it's not like Garmin shows any zeal in being on top of this game either.

We live in exciting times, I guess, not knowing who will in the end offer the goods. Garmin? Casio? Or an as yet unknown company.

Being a Casio user and a Garmin user.
The current time is not visible in all the Garmin watches I have used: Fenix and Instinct.
But on the Instinct you got a very useful short cut to all timing/stopwatch/alarm.
I do use the stopwatch function a lot. I can trigger it and then I am at a long push back button away from time and back to stopwatch.
Also the timer functions (multi timers actually) got the current time display.
On the Instinct (better than on the Fenix IMHO) the "casio digital functions" are very user friendly. It is really easy to set an alarm or a timer and just a push of button away, no need to dig in the menu. It is really practical and again, it is one of my main daily professional use of that watch.

(Regarding normal digital functions, being a previous user of Samsung Galaxy Gear watch, their stopwatch function was a huge battery drainer. On their last Galaxy Watch, the stopwatch is even not implemented and need to be download after purchase on their store...)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the thorough reply.

No matter how many hi tech features they cram into those watches they always seem to fail to implement the basic (by Casio standards) watch features; AFAIK there isn't a single fitness watch with those functions.

Trust me, you get over it quite quickly when you see the available options on the Fenix or Instinct lineup. How many button presses does it take you to get to the Stopwatch on a Casio? Timer? Garmin allows you to create hot keys as a one button press to get to your Stopwatch, Timer, Save Location, Flashlight and many more. I can never see myself going back to a Casio watch after having watches that are as customizable as the Fenix or Instinct.

I miss the Solar from Casio but as mentioned earlier, Casio is very behind the times. I don’t see them catching up anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It always comes down to trade off's. When it comes to watches, I guess that's why so many of us own more than a few.

Certainly the advent of so called "smart watches" have opened a whole new world of compromises. It seems even as they get more feature rich, there is still not a perfect one-size-fits-all version from a feature perspective.

One evolution that may change that is the customizable "watch face". Or should we start to think of dial as just another screen? Choose the apps you want, arrange them where you want.

Sounds like that's a real differentiation between between current Case and Garmin: the Instinct had some flexibility around the face and buttons.

But no apps? So you can't add a dual time display?

Both are rugged out-door watches. Casio has solar and atomic time. And many options at lower price points. Garmin has GPS.

That's the key difference, as I see it: Garmin if you need GPS.

It does seem like Garmin is ahead of Casio in many regards right now. But I would expect Casio already has new products we'll see soon. And that's great: competition drives innovation and affordability.

Smart watches aren't really watches. They are wrist-worn devices that, among many functions, tell time and date.

Just think of where this is going, with curved displays are coming out; eventually viable flexible, then foldable displays. The need for those in durable cases that can be used for diving to mountain climbing, biking to hiking, will always be there.

Then there are all the wearables. All the leading manufactures of apparel, medical devices, and communications have been working together in think tanks on integrating all of this for the last decade. Nike, Sony, Apple, Microsoft, medical device, etc. Your running shoes, base-ball cap, iPhone, and "wrist device" will all be parts of a system that will also work with implants for diabetes or heart device. I'm sure Casio and Garmin are involved.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Garmin if you need GPS.
I honestly have no need for GPS or any of the tracking features. I just want to be able to customize the watch face, both its looks and to add typical watch functions (date, tz, etc).

Garmin could provide a software update to show the current time in Stopwatch mode, and to show an alternative to UTC as a second time zone on the main timekeeping screen. This is the beauty of having a watch that allows software updates. I'm kind of surprised they haven't updated these two features already, given all the other things they have updated.
They could, but I think it's unlikely they'll add the exact two features I'm looking for :)

Yes, it's like they [Garmin] are either oblivious to that market potential, or they simply don't have any interest in catering to that market.

It is really easy to set an alarm or a timer and just a push of button away, no need to dig in the menu. It is really practical and again, it is one of my main daily professional use of that watch.
Probably so, but it's an unnecessary compromise that's needed only because they won't/can't implement the basic features themselves (current time in stw mode seems like such a glaring omission that I don't think Garmin believes it's useful, hence I don't expect it to be added in a future update).

(Regarding normal digital functions, being a previous user of Samsung Galaxy Gear watch, their stopwatch function was a huge battery drainer. On their last Galaxy Watch, the stopwatch is even not implemented and need to be download after purchase on their store...)
Yeah, I owned the Gear myself. I even designed my own watch face with dual time zone, but when I wanted to add a stw complication I discovered there was no API for that; as you correctly state I had to download the stw from the store, and you had to run it as a separate app, with no current time in stw mode. I sold the Gear after 3 weeks because of that.

Some time later I bought the Pebble 2, not long before they were acquired (Fitbit?), to develop a watch app for the Pebble with all the functions I want, with all the info always visible.

Time mode:
time.jpg

Stw:
stw.jpg

Ctd:
ctd.jpg

Stw + Ctd:
stw_ctd.jpg

I made several different designs, both digital and analog, all containing these features:
View attachment 14188311

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

BTW if you read the reviews on Amazon you will notice many users come from the same Peeble watch as you. ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-...itoring-Graphite/dp/B07HYX9P88

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Nemo,

Is that the countdown timer or the stopwatch you're using?

EDIT>>>>> Just saw the answer in the other thread. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Current time in a stopwatch display.
It is possible!

What has changed since your previous reply when you wrote it's not possible?

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Current time in a stopwatch display.
It is possible!

So brilliant, in fact, that I now have a Stopwatch which displays Time of Day on all my other Garmin watches where it was "impossible" before.

Here it is on my fenix 3:

Your solution, sir, is an intuitive, elegant solution to the problem.

I know it's good when I keep asking myself, "Why didn't I think of that?"

HTH

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
So brilliant, in fact, that I now have a Stopwatch which displays Time of Day on all my other Garmin watches where it was "impossible" before.

Here it is on my fenix 3:

Your solution, sir, is an intuitive, elegant solution to the problem.

I know it's good when I keep asking myself, "Why didn't I think of that?"

HTH
You are welcome ! :)
Glad it worked on your Fenix 3 too !!
Really love the high fonts on this model !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone had the Instinct for over a year (more the better) and have a statement on battery longevity long term. I.e. Does the longevity of the charges degrade over time like a cell phone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts