WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I've been interested in possibly pursuing a career in watchmaking. I was wondering if I could get some info and input on schools, and perhaps if someone can explain the process. A watchmaker recently told me that there is a school in Cincinnati, Ohio which is rated the best. (Not sure if he just told me that because he went there). Anyhow, approx. how much per year to attend? is it super tough? any particular skills I need to have? honest opinion of "scope" after completing the degree. Average Salary per year. Anything can help me! I'd really appreciate it! Any other schools perhaps that focus on different areas of watchmaking than the one in Cincinnati?

Sincerely,

Navi

·
Registered
721 Posts
Navi,

The schools you should focus on are AWCI certified or preparation for the AWCI CW21 examination or WOSTEP curriculum. In the USA you will find these schools in Harrison PA, Lititz PA, St. Paul MN, Okmulgee OK and Seattle WA. There are also private schools as well. The Nicolas Hayek school of Watchmaking in NJ. And I believe Richemont in TX has one as well. There are others but this is a good start.

The cost varies from school to school some schools you only pay for tools and or living expenses. Others it is like attending any college and some have financial aid available. The private schools can be more cost friendly.

Is it tough? yes. Be prepared to work every minute of every day you are in class and some schools for more hours after. Then go home and study for the next day. You need to commit to the program fully to reap the rewards. Most schools are 2 years full time. And believe it or not it will be the shortest 2 years of your life.

Skills you need to succeed are desire to learn, patience, ability to take direction and correction, focus, critical thinking, dexterity, good eye sight, goal and quality oriented.

Scope - if you choose one of the WOSTEP or AWCI certifications the scope of learning is immense and you will come out of school ahead of the pack if you apply yourself. But remember when you come out of school you now need to go into the field and learn more. You come out with the basics and an understanding how to learn further.

Salary - well - let's say you are not going to get rich. Your financial reward will be based on your ability and choice of location. For now the higher paying positions are in major cities. NY, CHI, MIA, DAL, LA etc. Yes the range does go from $35k - $100k but that is based on you and what you can accomplish. In a major city $40-50k to start.

THere is room for debate but there are not many schools worthy of the education unless they aim toward the AWCI or WOSTEP certification. There is another certification coming out in the USA but it is in development and I believe meant to combine the WOSTEP and AWCI and the quality schools will be on board.

It is a rewarding career and satisfying. If I can answer any questions just ask.

All the best, a previous WOSTEP instructor

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much Henry! really appreciate all the information. you've helped me out tremendously! i now know who to talk to if I have any questions....and believe me I'll most likely have many more questions to come if that's ok with you! thanks again.

Sincerely,

Navin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Paris Junior College in TX has a 3 semester - 40 credit hourscourse called: CERTIFICATE IN FINE MECHANICAL WATCH REPAIR.

Don't think it's AWCI certified or a WOSTEP curriculum. I would like to go but if companys are looking for AWCI/WOSTEP schooling I wonder if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
thank you Henry! You're a great help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts