WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
this is my first post here as i have recently discovered the russian watch addiction. I just purchased the watch in the attached picture and wanted some advice on it. Comparing it to pictures it seems the hands are incorrect-and if that is the case can they be sourced somewhere and replaced? Or is that even warranted in this case? They do look like Poljot hands , perhaps from a shturmanskie ? Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks
db

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello DB and welcome to the WUS fora.
Congrats on your decision of buying a vintage Poljot 3017 "Strela" chronograph. It has a few flaws but unless you don't like the watch in its current state it would not be necessary to change them.
You are right about the hands. They seem to come from a Poljot 3133 Shturmanski chronograph, which is weird since the hole diameters of the hands differ a lot between the 3017 and the 3133. So maybe the last watchmaker changed not only the hands but also the hour wheel, the center wheel and the chrono middle wheel as well. So if you find the original hands (which is almost impossible), you would have to replace the parts mentioned above as well. Or maybe source some hands from the Strela remake.
Furhtermore the lume on the dial is missing, the subdial seconds hand (left side) is not original and the crown is not original, too.
But no need to worry. Like I said above, if you like the watch just leave it as it is.
112.50 $ is a good price and the movement is a jewel!
For a comparison I am sure you will find some nice examples by searching the forum or visiting some of its members private sites (try ill-phills for a start).
Have fun hunting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know it's funny you mention visiting other's private websites. I was even using ill-phils as a resource for other russian watches i was looking at but somehow managed to not look at it for this one. I began to wonder if i had made a mistake in bidding when no one took the price beyond mine. I only went a few dollars over the previous persons bid (like 7.50) and no one else then bid on it. i was sure someone would. I guess I will have to wait a bit if I want to purchase a more original example. What would you say the average a strela that seems to look mostly original goes for?
I imagine everyone here knows of all of the ebay listed strela's huh? I have noticed the same people bidding on all of the watches i was looking at. (strelas and shturmanskis and poljots) It would be interesting to connect the users here with their ebay personas.
Thanks again,
db

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello DB,
no need to worry. I think 112 $ is an OK price for a "starter". Case and movement looks OK and the dial could be relumed. If you can get your hands on another Strela with some problems but the right hands you could swap them (either by watchmaker or yourself). Many forum members have done so and got one or two nice watches out of it.
As for the price of a original Strela my guess would be that you could find a good one for 150 Euro or 200 $ if looking on the bay for some time. Unfortunately most of the Ukrainian sellers now tend to set a high starting price (like 299$ or so) but when you spend some time searching I am sure you can find a good one for the price mentioned above.
Broken ones go from 50$ to 100$ depending on the state they are in and the number of forum members looking for spares :-d.
Happy hunting!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think to begin with I would like to use a watchmaker but the idea of working on them myself eventually does interest me quite a bit. Now the only problem is to find a good watchmaker near me in south florida? Anyone out there know of one? perferrably near west palm beach area :) .

It can be relumed? that is cool, i did not realize that. What does something like that typically go for you think?

thanks for all of your help :)
db

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello everyone.
this is my first post here as i have recently discovered the russian watch addiction. I just purchased the watch in the attached picture and wanted some advice on it. Comparing it to pictures it seems the hands are incorrect-and if that is the case can they be sourced somewhere and replaced? Or is that even warranted in this case? They do look like Poljot hands , perhaps from a shturmanskie ? Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks
db
That's not a bad beater (daily wear) watch for that price, and kinda looks cool with those 3133 hands.

You can probably find a donor watch (although they are increasingly rare) and replace the hands.

I have an Sekonda that is currently out for repair :-(, but there are a few members here that have quite a collection for reference:

ill_phil
kinade
Mark Gordon

and a few others I am sure. Those are the site I use as main references for correct features, etc.

I am really missing my Sekonda now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts