WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[First post in this Casio G-Shock forum, so easy on me please]

I had a DW5600E-1V for 10 years. It worked great and had the precision that was more than good enough for me. Only had to change the battery once. Then I lost it.

I was thinking of getting the exact same one, then have just seen the GWM5610-1. So what I understood from my reading is that :

1. Solar powered, so in theory, i'd never need to change the battery

2. Multi-band atomic time keeping: what I understand from this is this watch synchronizes itself (probably every 24H) to an atomic clock through a radio signal from somewhere. What's not clear to me is the meaning of multi-band.

3. The case is larger than the DW5600E-1V

4. The price is a little more than 2x of the DW5600-1V

If you could please help with the following:

A. Explain what multi-band is for ?

B. Is my understanding listed in #1 to #4 above correct ?

C. Is the GWM5610-1 worth the difference of price (for folks among you who have both) ?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
[First post in this Casio G-Shock forum, so easy on me please]

I had a DW5600E-1V for 10 years. It worked great and had the precision that was more than good enough for me. Only had to change the battery once. Then I lost it.

I was thinking of getting the exact same one, then have just seen the GWM5610-1. So what I understood from my reading is that :

1. Solar powered, so in theory, i'd never need to change the battery

2. Multi-band atomic time keeping: what I understand from this is this watch synchronizes itself (probably every 24H) to an atomic clock through a radio signal from somewhere. What's not clear to me is the meaning of multi-band.

3. The case is larger than the DW5600E-1V

4. The price is a little more than 2x of the DW5600-1V

If you could please help with the following:

A. Explain what multi-band is for ?

B. Is my understanding listed in #1 to #4 above correct ?

C. Is the GWM5610-1 worth the difference of price (for folks among you who have both) ?

Much thanks!
The GW-M5610 is slightly smaller than the DW-5600, not larger. It does cost about twice as much.

The battery in a solar powered Casio should last many years. Some forum members here have solar Casios that are 20 or more years old that are still working. The main thing is to not let the battery drain all the way down.

MultiBand6 is used to automatically set the time overnight. In the U.S., the watch will receive the time signal from WWVB in Fort Collins, CO. How well this works depends on how far you live from Fort Collins. For me, in So Cal, it works well (probably 95% of the time).

A few things people dislike about the GW-M5610 compared to the DW-5600 are the short backlight duration (fixed at just 1.5 seconds), the inability to show the current time when in stopwatch or countdown timer mode, and the inability to set the seconds on the countdown timer.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Its called multiband 6 because the atomic signal is on more than one frequency (multiple bands of frequency) this is how its able to sync with the 6 towers around the world

those towers are.

1.UK 2.Germany 3.United States 4.China 5&6. Japan

Every night at around 2 am your watch will attempt to sync with the nearest tower. when it successful it'll correct the time accordingly. This means that the watch is accurate to the second every single day. Not only will it be accurate to the second but it will also auto adjust for daylight saving time (DST) and keep track of day, date, month & year. (even leap years)

Now combine that with a battery you wont have to worry about for the next 20 years and an almost indestructible case and you have a 100% hassle free watch that takes care of itself.

and if thats not enough... how about world time, stopwatch, a countdown timer, 5 alarms and a back-light that automatically illuminates the watch when you tilt your wrist in low light areas.

Taking all that into consideration I'd say it's definitely worth 2x the price.

Conclusion: Get the 5610, it's all the watch you'll ever need.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Every night at around 2 am your watch will attempt to sync with the nearest tower. when it successful it'll correct the time accordingly. This means that the watch is accurate to the second every single day. Not only will it be accurate to the second but it will also auto adjust for daylight saving time (DST) and keep track of day, date, month & year. (even leap years)
It tries at midnight. If it's unsuccessful, it tries again at 1am. This goes on hourly until. I think, 6am.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Couple other differences that haven't been mentioned that might make a difference to you.

DW5600W
+ backlight flash for alarm, countdown timer (CDT), and hourly signal
+ option to turn on auto repeat on CDT

GW-M5610
+ 4 alarms including snooze
+ option to turn on auto backlight LED (by holding your wrist up)
+ mute mode for button presses

Personally, you might want to go for the newest module on the GW-B5600 which has most of the best features on both.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the information & confirmation.

Then it means that this watch is much more accurate than the DW5600E1-V !! For that alone, it's worth the price. For a time keeping device, having more accuracy never hurts, especially for about $100+

Now, if i don't need to change the battery, check if the time is correct, or worry that it get dented like with my mechanical watches ... it's a worry-free and maintenance-free watch !! I like that !

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple other differences that haven't been mentioned that might make a difference to you.

DW5600W
+ backlight flash for alarm, countdown timer (CDT), and hourly signal
+ option to turn on auto repeat on CDT

GW-M5610
+ 4 alarms including snooze
+ option to turn on auto backlight LED (by holding your wrist up)
+ mute mode for button presses

Personally, you might want to go for the newest module on the GW-B5600 which has most of the best features on both.
Thank you for the info and for mentioning the new GW-B5600. I wasn't aware of this new model.

It looks great !

Casio_GW-B5600BC.png

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and if/once you are satisfied with all the answers, choose one to buy and then, please log out and never come back this f17 forum

it is not that us NOT welcome you, we are just helping you to stay out of foreseeable: gshock-addiction

all the bests
Thank you for the warning !
I had a couple F91, then the DW5600E-1V, then this AQS810W-1AVCF (why Casio gives these weird names to their watches). The latter is not a G-Shock but was my first solar watch :

Casio_Solar.png

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
For me, GWM5610 is worse than DW5600E because the display on M5610 has very bad viewing angles.
For me, GWM5610 is worse than DW5600E because the display on M5610 has very bad viewing angles.
I disagree. In terms of viewing angle, they are probably equally bad. In terms of display clarity, I feel 5610 is slightly better, dw5600 display background seems slightly more grey and grainy. Doesn’t make any difference in regular use.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts