WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I disagree. In terms of viewing angle, they are probably equally bad. In terms of display clarity, I feel 5610 is slightly better, dw5600 display background seems slightly more grey and grainy. Doesn’t make any difference in regular use.
The GWM5610s I have owned all ghosted badly when worn on the left wrist. I need to be able to see the time with a casual glance, and I could not.

On the same wrist, from the same angles, I can see the time perfectly on my DW5600E.

This picture does not feature a GWM5610 but it illustrates the phenomenon

In this case only the watch on the bottom right would be acceptable to me. All others I would find unusable and I would return to store.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The GWM5610s I have owned all ghosted badly when worn on the left wrist. I need to be able to see the time with a casual glance, and I could not.

On the same wrist, from the same angles, I can see the time perfectly on my DW5600E.

This picture does not feature a GWM5610 but it illustrates the phenomenon

In this case only the watch on the bottom right would be acceptable to me. All others I would find unusable and I would return to store.
I think it largely depends on the type and angle of light.

Replicating the viewing angle of the watches in the image, I can see the display on my GW-M5600 perfectly and it only fades as I tilt it away - to what would be a totally unnatural angle anyway.
I think I read somewhere that the 5610 was slightly more contrasty than the 5600 but mine's great, so it's hard to imagine that it was intentionally 'improved'.

Obviously watches are designed to be read from a 'normal' viewing angle and I have a number of digitals, none of which are bad, but it's undeniable that some are better than others.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I suppose all the ghosting issues mentioned really depend how you look at your watch, I have never had any issue but I always turn my wrist straight up so viewing near enough straight on

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Couple other differences that haven't been mentioned that might make a difference to you.

DW5600W
+ backlight flash for alarm, countdown timer (CDT), and hourly signal
+ option to turn on auto repeat on CDT

GW-M5610
+ 4 alarms including snooze
+ option to turn on auto backlight LED (by holding your wrist up)
+ mute mode for button presses

Personally, you might want to go for the newest module on the GW-B5600 which has most of the best features on both.
^^^This
One thing I will say is the gw-m5610s in my opinion wear a bit smaller. Yeah, if you look at the numbers the difference is minimal, but amongst all my squares it is my least favorite for that reason. Maybe it is just me, but I've always thought they were just ever so slightly too small, whereas the 5600 models are perfect.

Reactions: usa and Dxnnis

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it largely depends on the type and angle of light.

Replicating the viewing angle of the watches in the image, I can see the display on my GW-M5600 perfectly and it only fades as I tilt it away - to what would be a totally unnatural angle anyway.
I think I read somewhere that the 5610 was slightly more contrasty than the 5600 but mine's great, so it's hard to imagine that it was intentionally 'improved'.

Obviously watches are designed to be read from a 'normal' viewing angle and I have a number of digitals, none of which are bad, but it's undeniable that some are better than others.
GW-M5610 has an additional layer of thin glass taped to the underside of the crystal. It creates extra internal reflections and seems to be a major contributor to the ghosting. When viewed from directly head-on all these reflections are lined-up so cannot be seen. So GW-M5610 looks wonderful when viewed or photographed from head-on, one of the best displays. But ghosts badly from a small angle.

I do not know if your GW-M5600 has same construction. Recent squares like B5000 are thankfully no longer constructed with this (dumb) extra layer of glass. Along with STN that is why they have such good angles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GW-M5610 has an additional layer of thin glass taped to the underside of the crystal. It creates extra internal reflections and seems to be a major contributor to the ghosting. When viewed from directly head-on all these reflections are lined-up so cannot be seen. So GW-M5610 looks wonderful when viewed or photographed from head-on, one of the best displays. But ghosts badly from a small angle.

I do not know if your GW-M5600 has same construction. Recent squares like B5000 are thankfully no longer constructed with this (dumb) extra layer of glass. Along with STN that is why they have such good angles.
The extra layer is probably to do with the solar panel, in which case the 5600 would be more or less the same.
I'll admit that it doesn't take much of a change in angle for the ghosting to appear but it's not normally a problem for me.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Great watch. I gifted mine to a friend a year ago and finally replaced it from Amazon. I usually put them on Jays and Kays adapters with a NATO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The extra layer is probably to do with the solar panel, in which case the 5600 would be more or less the same.
I'll admit that it doesn't take much of a change in angle for the ghosting to appear but it's not normally a problem for me.
Correct, the solar panel is bonded to this thin layer of glass, to simplify final assembly.

Not all solar G-Shock watches are manufactured this way. As mentioned, some newer squares like B5000 do not have the extra layer of glass. Which is a good thing.

The extra layer of glass also potentially makes the watches prone to a sort of greasy/foggy residue forming after a number of years. It is rare - certainly does not happen to every watch - and the exact mechanism needs further investigation. But it is related to the extra layer, and another reason why Casio should do away with this method of construction.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When I opened the box, the charge was on M. So I let it sit near the window for 2-3 hours. Then it changed to H.

Initially, when I first saw this 5610, I didn't like the red line and was looking for a model without the red line.

After reading your answers, I watched some youtube videos to know more about the 5610, and found out that its look was inspired by the first 1983 G-shock. So the red line doesn't bother me anymore. It's an advantage to have it look like the 1983 model.

Functionality-wise, the additional features that the 5610 has compared to the 5600E, easily earn their worthiness of paying $55 more.
The only difference of treatment that my 5610 has over my previous Casios is that I put it down nicely before going to bed. With my previous Casios, I used to get in bed first, then removed my watch, then threw it onto my desk every night. Maybe after the honeymoon, this 5610 will also live the same fate as others. Who knows ? It will work anyway, so why not ?

All I can say is for about $99, this 5610 is a lot of watch for the money !

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you haven't by now, you should enable the A.EL function.
This illuminates the display (in low light only) whenever you lift and tilt your wrist to a normal viewing angle.
Some owners hate it and keep it disabled but I think it's a great feature.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Worth throwing out that a sleeve over it will make it think it’s dark, and will activate the light with auto E.L. on. So if you have long sleeves or a jacket on, it’s something to keep in mind! Also tossing and turning in bed if you wear it at night. I’ve heard anecdotes on here about it draining the battery more than expected; I keep it off on all of mine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The GW-M5610 is slightly smaller than the DW-5600, not larger. It does cost about twice as much.
[...]
^^^This
One thing I will say is the gw-m5610s in my opinion wear a bit smaller.
[...]
Thank you for mentioning this. When looking at pictures on the computer, I couldn't tell the difference.
But when looking at the watch in hand, the dial of the GWM5610 is more rectangular than square compared to the DW5600E.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The viewing angle for the GW-M5610/GW-5000 is pretty terrible, significantly worse than the DW-5600E, imho. Now the viewing angle on my STN GMW-B5000 is almost 180*, being that its pretty much legible until you can't see the LCD.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts