WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I remember reading somewhere that in the vostok volna / precision line of watches, there are generally three levels.

The Almaz (no precision regulator, silver movement)
The Volna (precision regulator, silver movement)
The Precision (precision regulator, gold-plated movement)

Is this generally correct^?
Does that mean if there is a vostok precision with a silver movement it is incorrect, or a volna with a gold-plated movement it is also incorrect?
And what my true question is, if there is an Almaz with a precision regulator (as I have found in my collection) is this incorrect? Or are the three examples I have highlighted above kosher and could have left the factory lines...

Thank you very much for any information!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought Almaz branded were always 18 jewels without the precision regulator. But anything is possible I guess.

It's not true that all 2809 22J precisions were gold. The earliest 2809s from 1957 up to about 1960 had the old ЧЧЗ Chistopol factory hallmark, were labeled with the year and quarter of production, and were all silver, regardless of whether they were 22J precision, 22J non-precision, or 18J. They were not marked with 2809, 2809A, or 2809B under the balance.

The second group from 1960 up to about 1964 had the old ЧЧЗ Chistopol factory hallmark, but were not labeled with the year and quarter of production. They were also not marked with 2809, 2809A, or 2809B under the balance. Of these, the 22 J precisions were always gold, and should be marked with "Precision" on the dial. Some of the 22 J non-precisions were also gold, but most were silver. And the 18 J movements were always silver.

After about 1964, the factory hallmark changed to "B" and were labeled 2809, 2809A, and 2809B under the balance, making identification easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought Almaz branded were always 18 jewels without the precision regulator. But anything is possible I guess.

It's not true that all 2809 22J precisions were gold. The earliest 2809s from 1957 up to about 1960 had the old ЧЧЗ Chistopol factory hallmark, were labeled with the year and quarter of production, and were all silver, regardless of whether they were 22J precision, 22J non-precision, or 18J. They were not marked with 2809, 2809A, or 2809B under the balance.

The second group from 1960 up to about 1964 had the old ЧЧЗ Chistopol factory hallmark, but were not labeled with the year and quarter of production. They were also not marked with 2809, 2809A, or 2809B under the balance. Of these, the 22 J precisions were always gold, and should be marked with "Precision" on the dial. Some of the 22 J non-precisions were also gold, but most were silver. And the 18 J movements were always silver.

After about 1964, the factory hallmark changed to "B" and were labeled 2809, 2809A, and 2809B under the balance, making identification easy.
Thank you very much for the useful information!

·
Registered
16 Posts
In addition, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, in the first generation of 2809 (1957-1960), the 22 J precision was always branded Vostok (Восток) , with "precision" (прецизионные) under the logo on the dial. (This, by the way, I believe is the first appearance of the Vostok brand from the Chistopol factory. So Vostok the watch brand predates Vostok the space program)
There is also an ultra-rare variant with sub seconds and 21 jewels called the 2802, which was also always branded Восток.
The 22 J non-precision was branded Volna (Волна),
and the 18 J was branded Almaz (Алмаз)

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In addition, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, in the first generation of 2809 (1957-1960), the 22 J precision was always branded Vostok (Восток) , with "precision" (прецизионные) under the logo on the dial. (This, by the way, I believe is the first appearance of the Vostok brand from the Chistopol factory. So Vostok the watch brand predates Vostok the space program)
The 22 J non-precision was branded Volna (Волна),
and the 18 J was branded Almaz (Алмаз)

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

Is it possible that the gold-plated 22j non-precision movements were movements originally meant to be in precision watches, but did not meet the accuracy standards and were instead fitted into the volna watches?

Thank you this is all very interesting! Also were the hands in this variety of almaz ever lumed? Such as in this photo, I know this is reapplied but am wondering if it was ever meant to be lumed? I have a feeling this is incorrect:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, those hands were originally lumed, but not such a dark green color. They should be just normal, faintly green lume.

That's a fantastic looking watch, by the way. That's my favorite version of Almaz. It has the correct seconds hand. They're hard to find with nice chrome on the cases like that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, those hands were originally lumed, but not such a dark green color. They should be just normal, faintly green lume.

That's a fantastic looking watch, by the way. That's my favorite version of Almaz. It has the correct seconds hand. They're hard to find with nice chrome on the cases like that.
I am purchasing it as a replacement for a more beat-up Almaz of the same design (but with the wrong 22j movement ;D), with a balance which likes to misalign with the pallet fork from time to time.

Are there any catalogues which list these Almaz'? I only have access to a catalogue which has a few Volnas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The catalogue I have is from 1960, and the Almaz brand was not yet included. I believe that brand was launched later in 1960. After about 1964, all the Chistopol brands, like Almaz and Volna etc., were changed to Vostok. So those Almaz designs continued to be produced under the Vostok brand for some time after.

I've got one of those Vostok branded Almaz models, with the Almaz case and dial design and with a "Boctok" logo design where the "B" is really pointy (trying to look like a rocket exhaust, I think). I think the pointy B logo was only used for a short time. There was a Latin "Wostok" logo from the same time period which had a little rocketship in the logo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts