WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

Thought I'd share something I did that was pretty cool today, I'm sure others have done it or you've seen something like this before, but here's to anyone that's interested! I know you can buy cheap pre distressed bands in eBay but I figured I'd just do it

Just recently acquired a Tudor BBR a few days ago and I love it! I wanted to put a distressed leather on it but felt like I wanted a lighter leather (more of a tan) than what the watch came with already. I bought a cheap (but great quality!) padded tanned leather stitched band. The clean look did NOT match this vintage tribute whatsoever, so I took some standard stuff I had around the house

- Wife's nail file
- knife
- earl grey tea bag (wet)

Lightly grazed the band with the nail file, added a few light cuts to mimic the consistent bending over time, and finished it off by soaking the band with a wet bag of tea for a light stain.

The difference (in my opinion) is much more suitable

I know some would probably think this is kind of lame but whatever it was cheap and something to do!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Nice BB. Not bad but I would have treated the non ridged areas as well, as it stands now it looks too obvious as a DIY attempt at fauxstressing.

Parting thought, love the mentioning of the exact tea you used. Jean Luc Picard couldn't have intro'd it better.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Nice BB. Not bad but I would have treated the non ridged areas as well, as it stands now it looks too obvious as a DIY attempt at fauxstressing.

Parting thought, love the mentioning of the exact tea you used. Jean Luc Picard couldn't have intro'd it better.

How about just saying "looks great" and leave it at that, or just say nothing at all instead of finding faults? Everyone is an authority on everything in this place.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
How about just saying "looks great" and leave it at that, or just say nothing at all instead of finding faults? Everyone is an authority on everything in this place.
I actually took the time to give constructive feedback. I see my reply as a suggested upgrade for next time rather your suggested "fault".

You clearly found what you perceived to be a fault in my post but couldn't help yourself, you had to comment contradicting your own advice. The epitome of hypocrisy. Speaking of being an authority did you grant yourself the position of WUS honorary mod?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think a little advice is fine, it's not like he came out declaring everything about it to be wrong.

As for me, I think it's a great looking mod, but I do agree that the sides look just a little too pristine. Were you concerned about damaging the stitching?

Reactions: watch_hor

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't see the post as finding fault. I think it was well constructed to provide some useful feedback on how the OP might try something different to add to the effect he already has.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think a little advice is fine, it's not like he came out declaring everything about it to be wrong.

As for me, I think it's a great looking mod, but I do agree that the sides look just a little too pristine. Were you concerned about damaging the stitching?
The strap is padded so I attempted a natural wear look. In reality since a padded strap is a little elevated, the elevated portions are more likely to rub / come into contact with objects causing wear. I figured it was the most realistic approach. But thank you everyone for the feedback! I'll give it a shot! I didn't perceive any advice as negative, I appreciate the time spent to check out the post and give advice!

-Dre

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks! The tea is Earl Grey. It was used to darken up the scratched portions. Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
652 Posts
For those who are interested in an alternative DIY leather distressing procedure you can do the following: 1. Soak leather in rubbing alcohol. 2. While wet have a good old time rolling and crumpling the leather to give it creases. 3. While wet take a stiff brush to the leather 4. When dry roll and crumple in dust.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Looks cool! May I suggest using some kind of vegetable oil in place of teabags if you want to darken the rubbed out areas. The oil will help with water resistance and preserve the leather.

Reactions: andrejb

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks cool! May I suggest using some kind of vegetable oil in place of teabags if you want to darken the rubbed out areas. The oil will help with water resistance and preserve the leather.
Thanks! I was thinking about using mink oil that I have for my boots! Cheers

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've been thinking of playing around with coloured leather stains. My local shoe repairer stocks a range of coloured liquid / gel waxes to rejuvenate and re-stain leather.

Theres a YouTube video where some guy goes to town on a brand new strap with sandpaper etc, then selectively stains the strap in random spots using a q-tip (cotton bud for everyone else) and small sponge.

Reactions: andrejb

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
That's very cool, and to me that the strap definitely looks better with the watch after the distressing. I agree that the contrast between the distressed and original bits is a little stark, and I'd love to see what it looks like with somewhat more even distressing. That said, if you don't care that it doesn't look like natural wear, the texture variety on the strap is also quite nice in its own right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts