WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...on the back lug with 18k?

Been scouting out a vintage SS datejust or two. I came across a nice looking SS with with smooth bezel. Everything looks good but the watch has an 18k stamp on the back of one lug and I don't remember having seen this mark before and didn't think rolex ever stamped SS with a n 18k. I thought the 16200 was all SS but one person suggested it may be a 'transitional' model. I am great with identifying redials and some pieced together rlx's but not really good knowing all the model variations through the years.

So-an '18k' mark on the upper stem-side lug on 16200? Legit or should I run? Or should I ask more questions. Seller has a pretty good rep and was the one who brought up the mark. But I am right on the edge of having a funny feeling that seller may have something he doesnt know everything he should about. Also should mention it has a roman numeral dial and a sapphire crystal.

*edit* I'm posting the link now because I have been sufficiently convinced to stay clear. Here it is

thnkx for any helpRolex Mens 36mm 18kt White Gold SS Datejust White Roman Numerals | eBay

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Re: Quick Datejust 16200 question....are they marked..

Rolex did not stamp 18K on it's stainless models. Period. I've most often seen the 18K stamped on Tudor bracelets that are knock-offs in two toned or stainless. If total authenticity is your goal, move on. The only caret weight stamps for Rolex are on their solid gold models and depending on model and year made, either 14K or 18K plus the additional Swiss stamp for solid gold with various pictures of faces or animals.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Rolex did not stamp 18K on it's stainless models. Period. I've most often seen the 18K stamped on Tudor bracelets that are knock-offs in two toned or stainless. If total authenticity is your goal, move on. The only caret weight stamps for Rolex are on their solid gold models and depending on model and year made, either 14K or 18K plus the additional Swiss stamp for solid gold with various pictures of faces or animals.
thanks. I thought it was strange. its a shame because I think the seller really thinks he has a pristine watch. (or maybe not? who really knows?)He does disclose that he isn't sure what's up with the 16200 but he explains it as a "possible transitional model". right. 18k stamped on a SS case lug? I just doesnt add up. I am not sure wether to tell him or not-as I think a less cautious buyer could easily fall for this. I am TOTALLY off this one so I guess I can post the link for further opinion Unless its not allowed(I really forget the rules. sorry. here-disclaimer-possible authenticity issue:
Rolex Mens 36mm 18kt White Gold SS Datejust White Roman Numerals | eBay

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

I've seen white gold Day Date's but never a Datejust. Furthermore, if the watch were truly an 18K model, it would be selling for far more than $2K USD. If you want to do the ebay community a nice gesture, then report the watch to them. If not, then my unsolicited advice is to let it go. Why in the name of brand protection would you want to get into an argument with someone inclined to think this were real or someone who is trying to pass off ersatz for authentic?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I've seen white gold Day Date's but never a Datejust. Furthermore, if the watch were truly an 18K model, it would be selling for far more than $2K USD. If you want to do the ebay community a nice gesture, then report the watch to them. If not, then my unsolicited advice is to let it go. Why in the name of brand protection would you want to get into an argument with someone inclined to think this were real or someone who is trying to pass off ersatz for authentic?
I have no intention of arguing with anybody. As I said-I am out. If I thought the seller were positively a fraud I would absolutely report. However-I can't tell as he has a decent number of pos seller feedbacks. Maby he doesnt know? Maybe he does? I would just say-this is were "buyer beware" comes into play. Do your homework and don't cry if you buy a $2k rolex that turns out to be fake or otherwise not correct. After years of selling on ebay I think I developed a good enough sense of when a seller is a complete scam artist versus a guy who may think what he has is real -or-he may not want to know what he fears deep down. Does he deserve to be reported? Probably. He at least deserves to have someone point out the oddity of an 18k on a case that is obviously brushed SS. (I just had to make sure that rolex never marked any of those watches that had gold bezels on the case. (which would be wrong according to hallmark standards anyway) Like I said-I think he may have bought it himself-may suspect its wrong-and maybe doesnt want to face up to the truth. And that-unfortunately-is what gives a lot of guys such horrible impressions of ebay. And isn't that what we have WUS for anyway?

and thanks for the info BTW. appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts