WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! Just a quick thank you for all the information compiled in this excellent forum! I've been lurking for a little over a month and I've learned a ton, all culminating in me placing my very first order for an automatic watch (2 actually!!)!

Name's Sam and I'm in Massachusetts. Previously I've only owned Quartz watches and mostly crappy ones. So much so that I had given up on watch wearing and just used my cell phone. Just recently however I decided to give the watch thing another go and decided to do my research. Before you know it I was neck deep in calibre write ups, grey markets, and curved spring bars :).

I set out to find 2 automatic watches; slightly dressy & everyday. After days of research, shopping & reading (with this forum always being my reference) I settled on the following;

Seiko SNZG17K1

Orient Conductor

I also ordered from Panatime;

For the Seiko;
22mm XXL Panatime Vintage Distressed Oak Genuine Calf Leather With Black Stitching 135/90 22/22
with BLACK PVD

22mm Panatime Olive Ballistic Nylon Nato with 5 PVD (Black) Rings 12"/308mm

For the Orient;
22mm XL Panatime Black Genuine Leather Watch Strap with Gator Print and White Stitching 135/85m 22/20

Springbar Tool:
Finally, for swapping the straps out I ordered from Esslinger;

Bergeon 3153 Watch Band Tool Spring Bar Removal Tool

My budget was unfortunately a lot smaller than my taste allowed but I think with the above 2 I got myself a good set up and a decent start of a collection! There's a few watches that are already on my wishlist but one thing I know is that my next purchase will include a Greg Stevens strap!!!! They're soooo nice but I just couldn't justify putting one on the Seiko!

Now I just have to wait for all this stuff to get here! arrrrgghhh

Anway, thanks again for all the info, reviews, pictures, comments! They were incredibly helpful! Any and all comments on my purchases would be appreciated!!

Sam

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Welcome aboard, Sam. Seeing that you are in MA, hopefully we can get you to our next WUS GTG in Boston. Just had one last month but we are a crew of watch lovers and will probably try another one in the fall.

Nice start to the collection....both great pieces!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard, Sam. Seeing that you are in MA, hopefully we can get you to our next WUS GTG in Boston. Just had one last month but we are a crew of watch lovers and will probably try another one in the fall.

Nice start to the collection....both great pieces!
Thank you! I'll def keep an eye out for the gtg and attend if possible.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Welcome to WUS, Sam. Great choice so far. I have that Military Seiko in Stainless steel and it's a great watch fro the price. I really like the balanced dial of the Orient. I find that most of the time, power reserve ruin the dial, not on this one.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Great to have you join us Sam.
You've made some outstanding watch/strap/tool choices that certainly demonstrate your thought and research.
Congratulations and looking forward to hearing more from you.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
nice,
that's putting research to good use,

welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay and those are great choices (watch and straps)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Welcome, thanks for searching and reading, and congratulations on the new acquisitions! That Orient is one good looking watch!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Welcome to WUS. It's a great place with a mostly great community and a treasure trove of watch knowledge. Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome mate, enjoy your new watches and post pictures!
Thank you, I definitely will!

Welcome to WUS, Sam. Great choice so far. I have that Military Seiko in Stainless steel and it's a great watch fro the price. I really like the balanced dial of the Orient. I find that most of the time, power reserve ruin the dial, not on this one.
I totally agree, the power reserve was too much for me on the other faceplate colors but I found the white on white wasn't bad at all. I don't need to see it at a glance so I think it works out in the end.

Great to have you join us Sam.
You've made some outstanding watch/strap/tool choices that certainly demonstrate your thought and research.
Congratulations and looking forward to hearing more from you.
Thank you!! Couldn't have done it without this community's contributions (and the search box haha).

Nice looking watches. Welcome.
nice,
that's putting research to good use,

welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay and those are great choices (watch and straps)
Thank you Nokie & ari.seoul!

Welcome, thanks for searching and reading, and congratulations on the new acquisitions! That Orient is one good looking watch!
Thank you! Can't wait to see what the strap looks like on it. I'll post pics.

Welcome to WUS. It's a great place with a mostly great community and a treasure trove of watch knowledge. Enjoy your stay.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you Arthur M & mpalmer!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Hey folks! Just a quick thank you for all the information compiled in this excellent forum! I've been lurking for a little over a month and I've learned a ton, all culminating in me placing my very first order for an automatic watch (2 actually!!)!

Name's Sam and I'm in Massachusetts. Previously I've only owned Quartz watches and mostly crappy ones. So much so that I had given up on watch wearing and just used my cell phone. Just recently however I decided to give the watch thing another go and decided to do my research. Before you know it I was neck deep in calibre write ups, grey markets, and curved spring bars :).

I set out to find 2 automatic watches; slightly dressy & everyday. After days of research, shopping & reading (with this forum always being my reference) I settled on the following;

Seiko SNZG17K1

Orient Conductor

I also ordered from Panatime;

For the Seiko;
22mm XXL Panatime Vintage Distressed Oak Genuine Calf Leather With Black Stitching 135/90 22/22
with BLACK PVD

22mm Panatime Olive Ballistic Nylon Nato with 5 PVD (Black) Rings 12"/308mm

For the Orient;
22mm XL Panatime Black Genuine Leather Watch Strap with Gator Print and White Stitching 135/85m 22/20

Springbar Tool:
Finally, for swapping the straps out I ordered from Esslinger;

Bergeon 3153 Watch Band Tool Spring Bar Removal Tool

My budget was unfortunately a lot smaller than my taste allowed but I think with the above 2 I got myself a good set up and a decent start of a collection! There's a few watches that are already on my wishlist but one thing I know is that my next purchase will include a Greg Stevens strap!!!! They're soooo nice but I just couldn't justify putting one on the Seiko!

Now I just have to wait for all this stuff to get here! arrrrgghhh

Anway, thanks again for all the info, reviews, pictures, comments! They were incredibly helpful! Any and all comments on my purchases would be appreciated!!

Sam
Welcome. I think you will like and want to post pictures on the Affordable Forum and the Seiko/Citizen Forum, anyway I'd like to see pictures of them there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! Got my Esslinger & Panatime orders in the mail today!! Talk about fast (ordered Fri)!

The straps;
- The oak strap is gorgeous!
- The black "leather" strap feels meh... but it looks alright so we'll see.

I was itching to try something on so I swapped the bracelet on my old crappy Fossil. I really like the Nato look and feel!

Sent from my Casio CFX-400

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha! Just realized my Tapatalk signature cannot be anymore appropriate for this forum! Been using it for a while, first time it's forum-relevant lol.

Sent from my Casio CFX-400

1 - 20 of 24 Posts