WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which GMT would you pick if you were me?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need/want a GMT watch, and while the Breitling Chronomat 44 GMT is my Grail watch, I am holding off that purchase until my 50th (which is almost 2 years away). So in the interim, I've decided to get one of these two. I really like the Longines brand and the Conquest GMT is a stunning looking watch. However, it's not as sporty as I'm accustomed to wearing. My favorite feature of the Glycine AB22 is the 3 simultaneous time zones. IMHO it's not as attractive but fits my style and needs better since I fly internationally. As far as I know, the AB22 and the C44 GMTs are some of the few GMTs with 3 simultaneous time zones.

If if you were me, which would you choose?

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
981 Posts
i vote longines. although it doesn't have the rotating bezel the airman has, it has a nice clean look to it.

the airman just has too much on the go. two 24hr indicators w/ five minute intervals written out...too much too much

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i vote longines. although it doesn't have the rotating bezel the airman has, it has a nice clean look to it.

the airman just has too much on the go. two 24hr indicators w/ five minute intervals written out...too much too much
i agree that all the numbers and marks on the face makes the watch too cluttered, and detracts from its aesthetics. However, I really like the rotating bezel that is locked by the 4 o'clock crown. It would make a great tool watch when I'm flying international. I'd keep the 12 hr hand to "home" (Stuttgart), the fixed 24 hr to UTC/GMT, and the rotating to wherever I've flown "into" be it NYC, ORD, SFO, HNL, EDI, LIS, etc.

Apples v grapes, the Glycine is a real 24hr watch.
the Airman Base GMT is a 12 hour non-purist watch. I don't like purist 24 hr faces- yuck. I think Id never get used to reading the time.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I've considered both. I haven't seen the Glycine in person yet, but Im inclined to think I'd prefer it. I've come close to pulling the trigger on the Longines, but in the end, I feel it just doesn't seem to know exactly what it wants to be. It's like it's stuck somewhere between work and play, and while it does both fairly well, it doesn't really excel at either. Hope that makes some sense. I still like the Longines, but for what it's worth; I'd go for the Glycine.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I have one 24 hour watch. It is seldom (OK just about never) worn. The reason being that I have to 'decipher' what time it is. I can look at a 12 hour watch and the correct tine is instantly understood but a 24 hour watch has to be "read". That may be ok for when I want to see if my wife or kids are still awake, but if I just need a quick look to see if I'm "on time" I don't want to be having to think and - heaven forfend- risk being late (Yes - I know it's 6 o'clock but I misread my watch and thought it was 3 o'clock).

Your brain may vary.

Longines if it were me.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Voted for the Glycine. Tried both on at an AD before and the Airman is more functional and dial was surprisingly legible despite being busy, the finish and feel was good for a watch in that price range. The Longines is cleaner and more "dressy" but it is thick, wears large and the water resistance killed it for me. Always more comfortable with at least 100-200m WR for sports watches that I wear while travelling so that I can shower and swim without worrying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one 24 hour watch. It is seldom (OK just about never) worn. The reason being that I have to 'decipher' what time it is. I can look at a 12 hour watch and the correct tine is instantly understood but a 24 hour watch has to be "read". That may be ok for when I want to see if my wife or kids are still awake, but if I just need a quick look to see if I'm "on time" I don't want to be having to think and - heaven forfend- risk being late (Yes - I know it's 6 o'clock but I misread my watch and thought it was 3 o'clock).

Your brain may vary.

Longines if it were me.
the airman GMT is a 12 hr hand for the regular hour hand. Only the GMT hand is 24 hr, just like the Longines and most other gmt watches.

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think the Glycine is a big jump up over that Longines in so many ways. I could go on and on.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Your brain may vary.

Longines if it were me.
+1.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
The Glycine is way too busy for me and not a fan of jubilee type bracelets. I have tried on that Longines and it looks a lot better in person. Nice clean design, with subtle good looks from a brand with great pedigree. My vote is for the Longines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
985 Posts
You said it yourself the Glycine "fits my style and needs better" so get that. But it really depends on how you want to treat this watch, as a tool or as something pretty on the wrist?

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Glycine in the OP is the GMT variation of the Airman22, which means that the normal hour hand and minute hand function in 12 hour time, while only the red GMT hand functions in 24 hour time. There is another version of the Airman22 which is the GA version, which is configured the other way around (i.e. they use the Arrow hour hand for the 24 hour function, and a secondary hour hand for the 12 hour function). Whatever the version though they both contain the ETA 2893, so the Airman22 is at heart, a 12 hour watch with an additional 24 hour hand...same as the Longines. Please note that the 2893 is a desk-GMT, meaning you can not adjust the 12 hour hand without stopping the watch...it is good for keeping track of other time zones when you don't travel much, but may be a bit of a nusance if you do. That said, I have the GA version and travel a lot, but it doesn't bug me that much.

The Longines (I've read somewhere) uses a Valgranges movement, which should be (?) functonally the same as the 2893. I do not have any experience with this movement so can not comment, but from what I know is basically the same in function, but larger in size. Assuming the function of the Valgranges movement is the same as the 2893, the major difference then between the Glycine and the Longines is the dial layout, and the rotating bezel. The dial layout of the Glycine is that of a 24-hour watch. This is because even thought the Airman22 is not a pure 24-hour watch, the origianal Airman was, and the 22 inherited the dial design. The Longines' dial is that of a 12-hour watch, but with an extra 24-hour indicator. There's probably no good or bad to either dial design, but as some have said, it does take some time getting used to reading a 24-hour dial because the dial is a bit busy. The rotating bezel does come in handy if you want to track an additional time zone. Personally, I voted for the Glycine because the design is very unique (not too many 24-hour dial watched around), and the Airman has history. I believe the model has been around since the 1950s and has never been discontinued.

As for the drawbacks of the Glycine: (1) The end-links are not solid, (2) The clasp is stamped (feels flimsy/cheap).

Hope this helps.
grotty

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If if you were me, which would you choose?

View attachment 2771242
I have always liked the Airman Base 22.
It would definitely be my choice here.
I think it's a little bit cheaper too. Klepsoo has nice deals on Glycine.

I like the bezel and the unique looking crown to lock it. I prefer its display case back. The Longines has a solid back. And the degrade dial is a neat look for this watch. Nothing wrong with the Conquest, it's a nice watch. I just think the Airman is more unique. Although personally I'd get a purist.

edit: I'm on a mobile, and can't actually vote on the poll. I have no idea why this is a recurring issue on my phone, I have tried several different browsers, and none give the full vbulletin functionality of a regular PC browser. I can't give out likes on mobile either.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awwwwrighty then!!!!! I PTT on the watch. Will post wrist shots when I get it in about 25 days. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts