WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which GMT would you pick if you were me?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Well just my opinion , never owned the Longines , but do like them and their reputation , wanted the Glycine for a while and pulled the trigger on a pre-owned from the forum , I like the appearance and functions of the piece BUT could not get over the inferior quality of the bracelet , felt like something you would find on a $50 quartz.. yea I know swap out the bracelet but I just felt like for a manufacturer to produce a +$1k watch and supply a bracelet like this immediately turned me off and had me questioning the quality of the piece in general ...so it was GONE to a happy new owner .

Neal

·
Registered
623 Posts
I looked at the same options and opted for the airman. The longines was underwhelming and very generic looking, in the flesh where the airman is a distinctive design and a watch with true pedigree and heritage. Others mention the poor bracelet - can't comment on that as I bought mine on a strap. Personally I feel it's not well suited to a bracelet anyway, but looks great with leather, Nato or mesh. As a travel watch it's perfect - tough but not bulky, waterproof, under the radar, highly functional.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good theory mpalmer, I like it!

As for me I'd go the Glycine. Unique, looks cool, has the functionality, overall just a lovely looker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can only speak from my perspective, but I LOVE the Glycine 24 hour dial! It's on my list if I ever again have disposable income:)-0)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Voted Glycine. Had a Base 22 Purist on strap for quite a while. It's a good looking watch. Very nice case with alternating brushed / polished finish detail that doesn't really show in photos. Excellent AR on the crystal. Very comfortable watch that looks smaller in person than it appears in photos (to me anyway).

Ultimately I got tired of the extra work reading a purist 24h dial, wore it less and less, and decided to let it go. The GMT version skips all that, since the hands 'look right' at any given time...

Reactions: Ride-Fly

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
First watch I ever bought was a Glycine Airman back in 1968, nice watch.....but I like the Longines better.

·
Premium Member
35,311 Posts
Glycince 22 is great, but on a strap as I was less than impressed with the poor bracelet quality when I had mine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why not buy a Breitling Avenger II GMT w the blue dial now and trade it in later for your Grail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Probably because it's like $6,000 and he's looking at a $1,200 watch.

I just bought mine new for $3.200 with my name on the warranty card.

It's very hard to sell a watch that sells new for $1200. That's $1200 farther away from his Grail.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've had both Longines and Glycine watches in the past. In fact I had the similar Longines Conquest before, but not the Glycine Airman (I had Glycine Combat GoldenEye). Quality-wise, Longines is up there compared to Glycine. The details on the case and the dial is just outstanding for Longines, but I must say though, it's a very HEAVY watch. It might look like Rolex size-wise, but it's wayyyy heavier. Glycine though, they're good watches, but IMO is not as durable as Longines. My Glycine Combat had defective bezel and crown, and the case finishing just wasn't as detail as Longines. The gold finish on the crown got worn out easily, but they're a super-light watch!

but for the price, I'd go Longines over Glycine…. or if you can afford GMT-master, go GMT-master! LOL

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I owned the Longines Conquest GMT in Black dial. The case IS massive. The dial is wonderful looking with a sunburst finish. I would have kept it for years if it had better water resistance. The bracelet is very comfortable and I always received fine compliments on its looks. The GMT complication didn't add much for me at the time. Glycine and Longines both have stellar history. I have gravitated to strictly dive watches since I live in Florida and the Gulf of Mexico constantly calls.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I looked at these both as well, in the same colors. The more I looked, the more I felt called to the Airman based on legacy, uniqueness, etc. then I got drawn off the blue fade and chose this one.

Bought it on the great leather strap, wear it daily, frequently on the olive green nato shown. The cream dial seemed more authentic and much less busy. It's a beautiful watch. And zero issues telling the time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My watch will be delivered to my brother's apartment by tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to collect it until the 11th when I'll next be in LA! I almost cancelled my order because Klepsoo wouldn't deliver to my CMR address in Germany. It was only by chance that I happened to get a short layover in LAX on the 11th, where I decided to keep the order.

As for the Longines, I plan on getting one someday, but they have to put in a screw down crown! A rotating bezel would be a huge bonus!!! Once I get the Longines GMT and the Breitling C44 GMT, I'm complete and won't need nor want additional watches. :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts