WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Yes or No?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 2019 Franck Muller Casablanca automatic chronograph with a salmon dial (ref. 8885C CC DT).

Franck Muller has produced this line for about thirty years (I think), and this particular one is from 2019. It takes its cues from oversized tonneau shaped watches of the 1920s.

Would you want a watch like in your collection?

Comments more than welcome too...

FM 001.jpeg
FM 002.jpeg
FM 003.jpeg

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's one of the watches I've been looking for a while.

I would really have to see it in person before I'd vote. My gut feeling is rather no, because when I think of great salmon dials, I want to see some guilloche (like that Grönefeld you posted in your other thread).

Also, as far as I gather from WUS, Franck Müller is one of those brands that does not have great finishing but spends their money rather on... quirkiness. And while I like quirkiness a lot, I think in this case it might not be fully justified...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I voted no, as it has the "numerals printed with pen on a paper dial" look that seem to appear on many very expensive watches. I say no thanks. Give me thick, applied numerals, indices, and markers on a thick metal disc dial.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's one of the watches I've been looking for a while.

I would really have to see it in person before I'd vote. My gut feeling is rather no, because when I think of great salmon dials, I want to see some guilloche (like that Grönefeld you posted in your other thread).

Also, as far as I gather from WUS, Franck Müller is one of those brands that does not have great finishing but spends their money rather on... quirkiness. And while I like quirkiness a lot, I think in this case it might not be fully justified...
I'm intrigued by the reactions so far, and can understand how watches like this don't jive with personal preferences. Many of us are on horological journeys that pursue refinement both above and beneath the dial. That is based on interpretations of watchmaking artistry that emphasise restraint and detailed execution.

Many of FM's watches are far beyond what I can stomach, both in size and dial configuration. This one happens to be within the pale and, as I indicated at the outset, draws on the 1920s. That was a decade of ostentation for people who could afford it (see the original Tissot Banana and Patek Philippe Chronometro Gondolo form watches for comparison). So I can see where this Casablanca fits in. These watches push different buttons. FM does do a guilloché salmon dial version of this one too (or did, as that particular one has been discontinued).

At the moment I'm looking at a JLC Master World; it was produced for a short while from around 2009 and is a fine thing. I'm also looking at this FM. The two watches could not possibly be further apart from one another. The former is designed and built with the cold refinement that JLC is known for. It is icily cool. The FM is literally its opposite; a frivolous, hot mess, an over-the-top exercise in indulgence.

I could end up with both. Or neither. It's enjoyable to toy with them both in the meantime.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’d wear it...

Reactions: Age_of_Surfaces

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I think it's a good looking watch. I think at this point Franck Muller is often overlooked as a "outdated" brand, but I really like the looks of a lot of their modern offerings.

That being said... they're no where near at the top of my list to own. If the question is if I'd take the watch you posted for free? well yea. But would I buy one, even at a deep discount? Nope. I just don't know when I would wear a watch like that. Too dressy for daily use, too big for real dress use... For that reason, I had to vote no, even if in a vacuum I think it's a good looking watch.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts