WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I have a lot of different straps of all sorts of styles and colors. For the watches I don't keep on a bracelet, I change the strap regularly to switch it up.

Recently, I have added several straps to my collection that have quick release spring bars, and I have found myself ignoring my straps that don't have quick release. The hassle of using a tool and potentially gouging up the lugs or having to fish for the spring bar with the tool is just magnified when compared to how easy it is with the quick release.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think its only a matter of time before all straps (and bracelets) have quick release spring bars.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
For a while, yeah. Though frankly, on watches with drilled lugs, the inconvenience isn't as much.

Also, personally I am a bit skeptical of quick release springbars. As far as I've seen, they have a lot less spring tension than normal springbars, and they seem to be a lot more likely to slip out or do a "shallow seating" where the tip doesn't fully go into the hole. (nudge nudge wink win.. no) So... I don't know if I'd trust a quick release bar for any activities beyond desk work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just placed an order for several canvas one - the convenience and potential for avoiding cringe-inducung scratches is very appealing.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I guess I'm an odd duck here. When I put on a bracelet or rubber, I tend to leave it on until I have reason to change it.
I own regular (Seiko) straps as well as Barton QR straps, a bunch of Strapcode bracelets and they get installed, but not swapped on any frequent basis.
I suppose a strap is more like a set of car tires than shoes.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm learning to like them. I have a couple of Hirsch straps with the quick-release spring bars. The tip seems to slide right into the hole with a proper fit (nod to you, X2-Elijah) on the watches that I'm attaching the straps to. They're really handy for those that like to change straps on a routine basis. I understand the trepidation of others, though. I haven't really looked, but I've not seen a whole lot said about them not being sturdy enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like many of you, I have a lot of different straps of all sorts of styles and colors. For the watches I don't keep on a bracelet, I change the strap regularly to switch it up.

Recently, I have added several straps to my collection that have quick release spring bars, and I have found myself ignoring my straps that don't have quick release. The hassle of using a tool and potentially gouging up the lugs or having to fish for the spring bar with the tool is just magnified when compared to how easy it is with the quick release.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think its only a matter of time before all straps (and bracelets) have quick release spring bars.
With you 100% on this! Between Finwatch for nicer straps and Barton for cheapies, I end up using QR spring bars almost all the time.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
No.

I don't trust quick release spring bars.

Reactions: cottontop

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I've gradually switched over to mostly straps with quick-release bars; I just find it so much more convenient. I have growing pile of Barton watch bands.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I really don't trust them. Spring bars can be a major failure point; because of this I use higher quality spring bars. The quick release spring bars I have dealt with so far seem to be lesser quality. I was disappointed recently when I ordered a Hirsch strap and it came with QR spring bars...I removed them and used regular spring bars.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I do not like quick release bars. I usually remove them and replace w/ regular spring bars. After having changed and installed/removed literally hundreds of spring bars with my trusty spring bar tool, I just don't scratch the lugs or damage the leather (or whatever the strap/bracelet is made of). I have though, accidentally, launched a few spring bars into another time zone. TIP: use a smaller spring bar tool, one that is a little smaller than the standard tool. Such a tool is just easier to control and has a better "feel" to it while using it.
Joe

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I have though, accidentally, launched a few spring bars into another time zone.
If vacuum bags could talk, mine would have quite the story to tell...

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quickrelease all the way!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes. Can’t go back. I don’t understand why all makers don’t go that route. Also regarding quality, if it’s good enough for JLC to make them standard, it’s good enough for me.

·
Vendor
80 Posts
We're a huge fan of QR spring bars at Delugs, and from the onset made it integral for all our straps to come with QR spring bars as a default. I've gotten so far down the rabbit hole that I've been developing my own QR spring bars - starting with QR spring bars that have a screwed-in knob instead of a regular pressed-in knob that has a higher chance of popping out, and also developing QR Spring bars for PAM Luminor series (instead of using their screw-in bars).

For those that don't trust the reliability of QR Spring bars, apart from the length of the tip that's shorter than regular spring bars and hence have less "tension", and also having the QR knob come off, what other issues are there?

By the way, if anyone is interested in converting your existing straps to have the QR function so that you don't check them aside, I currently offer a service to do this. Send any strap my way, not just Delugs branded ones. Would hate to see straps being chucked away just because they don't have QR knobs, seems like a waste especially if you like the leather itself.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
How would they work in Panerai watches? For those that haven’t owned one, Panerai lug holes are large on one end and have a bar that is inserted into this hole and screwed into the other lug.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts