WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does this movement exist? To clarify, the two requirements are:

1. Day of the week complication (aperture, pointer, subdial, anything).

2. "Quick set" hour hand without disturbing seconds al a GMT Master II.

This has the potential to be the ultimate simple travel piece for those of us that don't need the complexity of a GMT/worldtimer.

Only problem is I haven't been able to find this in the analog world, mechanical or quartz. There are several references (Omega AQ daydate) who's movements possess the independent hour adjustment, yet dispense the feature when gearing the day complication.

Please, help prove me wrong. Does my travel grail exist out there?

·
Premium Member
22,012 Posts
Do you need the day of week complication, or is the date sufficient?

I have a Victorinox 241310 Alliance quartz chronograph with the ETA 251.272 movement, and it has a quickset on the main hour hand, and that allows the date to be moved forwards and backwards as well.

Reactions: stejospot

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you need the day of week complication, or is the date sufficient?

I have a Victorinox 241310 Alliance quartz chronograph with the ETA 251.272 movement, and it has a quickset on the main hour hand, and that allows the date to be moved forwards and backwards as well.

Unfortunately just the date is not sufficient. The idea here is that when you're jetlagged from a 14hr flight and the whole first week is a complete haze, you can still roughly orient yourself day by day knowing where you are in the week. All that aside that is a gorgeous piece.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,012 Posts
Ah, I should've clarified. It's the DAY that's key.
That might be challenging. Keep in mind that any day-date that isn't a perpetual calendar will require a method of quicksetting the date relative to the day, particularly at the start of a month where the preceding month is less than 31 days long. As such, most day-dates have dual quicksets for the day and date in the second crown position, and forgo the quickset on the main hour hand (which ideally needs to be adjustable in both the forward and backward directions).

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That might be challenging. Keep in mind that any day-date that isn't a perpetual calendar will require a method of quicksetting the date relative to the day, particularly at the start of a month where the preceding month is less than 31 days long. As such, most day-dates have dual quicksets for the day and date in the second crown position, and forgo the quickset on the main hour hand (which ideally needs to be adjustable in both the forward and backward directions).
Ah yes - your explanation here has been my EXACT suspicion as to why these two features are never seen on the same watch. It's almost like they'd need to gear an additional crown position which seems so unlikely/nonsensical. Still keeping my fingers crossed that some manufacturer took a normal daydate movement, like 2nd position day and date adjustment, and then simply added quickset hour adjustment somewhere else entirely (e.g. Oris' double pusher system).

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
7,712 Posts
Many quartz watches can perform in Casio (Oceanus, Edifice, Lineage and G-shock lines), Citizen or Seiko have such models too.
All you do is you set time and date for you local and later you can choose destination and it will move hands to desired position at few clicks of the button. It will set day/date accordingly too.
Usually it means perpetual calendar and some additional functions too.
cc3060-10e_03.jpg
eqs500.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many quartz watches can perform in Casio (Oceanus, Edifice, Lineage and G-shock lines), Citizen or Seiko have such models too.
All you do is you set time and date for you local and later you can choose destination and it will move hands to desired position at few clicks of the button. It will set day/date accordingly too.
Usually it means perpetual calendar and some additional functions too.
View attachment 14236809
View attachment 14236811
Will look into these - thanks!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Does this movement exist? To clarify, the two requirements are:

1. Day complication (aperture, pointer, subdial, anything)

2. "Quick set" hour hand without hacking seconds al a GMT Master II.

This has the potential to be the ultimate simple travel piece for those of us that don't need the complexity of a GMT/worldtimer.

Only problem is I haven't been able to find this in the analog world, mechanical or quartz. There are several references (Omega AQ daydate) who's movements possess the independent hour adjustment, yet dispense the feature when gearing the day complication.

Please, help prove me wrong. Does my travel grail exist out there?
Price Range?

Ulysee Nardin has this covered. The perpetual Calendar GMT +/- will change the hour hand when hitting the + or -. Passing 12pm will change the Day and date. Works in forward and reverse, as well as every month including February and on leap years.

20190213_221551.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Vintage? ...my 1970's Omega Megaquartz does hour-hand-only advance with the first crown position; independent day and date recessed pushers (either side of the crown) take care of d/d quick-set.

Omega_1sm.jpg

·
Registered
36,285 Posts
Pointer day with Travelers quickset hour hand

All-Titanium solar charged, atomic adjusted Worldtime with quickset hour hand and countdown timer, chronograph and dive bezel, perpetual calendar, day & date, alarm. Only sold new in Japan.

Tanaka shot of OCW-P500T titanium chrono-diver

Over the holidays last winter, took 12 watches on a plane trip to the west coast USA, ended up wearing this Casio everyday. It is my all-time favorite travel GADA watch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ball recently announced this

Was holding my breath watching this video as I thought perhaps the release of this watch was written in the stars but alas...the pushers are connected to the GMT hand . This was SO. CLOSE. It's jumping the local time that really hits the sweet spot when crossing those timezones. Will definitely be paying attention whenever this hits the streets though in the off chance that it may also have the independent hour set within the crown, though with both day/date I foresee that to be slim to none.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Price Range?

Ulysee Nardin has this covered. The perpetual Calendar GMT +/- will change the hour hand when hitting the + or -. Passing 12pm will change the Day and date. Works in forward and reverse, as well as every month including February and on leap years.

View attachment 14237539
Out of my range by around 10-12k based on what I see it trading for but man this thing is a stunner! Love how useful the dial layout is and I must add the functionality is exactly what I'm looking for. If only it came in steel with a slightly more tool watch vibe this would be a prime candidate for the elusive one-watch collection. Now that I know this exists the hunt intensity only increases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pointer day with Travelers quickset hour hand

All-Titanium solar charged, atomic adjusted Worldtime with quickset hour hand and countdown timer, chronograph and dive bezel, perpetual calendar, day & date, alarm. Only sold new in Japan.

Tanaka shot of OCW-P500T titanium chrono-diver

Over the holidays last winter, took 12 watches on a plane trip to the west coast USA, ended up wearing this Casio everyday. It is my all-time favorite travel GADA watch.
Haha yes I could easily see how the functionality on this thing could easily trump 12 other watches. Gonna have to find a pretty in-depth video to get an idea of usable features but looks like it could fit the bill.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vintage? ...my 1970's Omega Megaquartz does hour-hand-only advance with the first crown position; independent day and date recessed pushers (either side of the crown) take care of d/d quick-set.

View attachment 14237795
Super interesting...so first crown position only advances but doesn't retreat the hour hand? Also, is the date affected when crossing midnight? Definitely willing to go vintage if all boxes are ticked!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
A Citizen Skyhawk will give you day and date and display multiple timezones with the touch of a button or two. It's fairly cheap and been my travel watch for years. It is analog and digital, and has a perp calendar.

It should meet all your criteria, I can see my local time when in Tokyo, my home time in NYC, and UTC, displayed at all times when I travel on business.

·
Premium Member
22,012 Posts
If you don't mind ani-digi G-Shocks, watches like the G-STEEL GST-W310-1AER, or the AWGM100A-1A allow you to switch the analog hands between the home timezone and world timezone by holding down the top two buttons while in world time mode.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts