WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While watching the Kentucky Derby this weekend the most astonishing thing may not be that the winner was DQ'd. During the national telecast Longines showed multiple commercials featuring the VHP. Even more amazing they emphasized the 5 spy accuracy. I may be wrong but this may be the highest profile and most expensive HAQ commercial buy.

I will be looking to see if they run the same ads during the Preakness and Belmont Stakes or if they will feature a different watch.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hello dear, so they're now claiming 5 spy, just the same as The Citizen ? Do I really have to believe that ?
No, you don't. :-d

What is even more surprising is an ad for any watch on TV. Citizen and Seiko in particular used to advertise a lot of TV up to the 1980s (maybe 90s?) but in the last 10+ years I never see an ad on TV for any watch brand.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Rolex advertises a fair bit during big tennis events. There was a Tudor ad not all that long ago...last couple months. But those are rare. I know I've seen some Citizen ads...certainly during football season, but I think at other times too. Oh, and there *were* numerous brands for Longines at the French Open...they were the official timekeepers. Were; Rolex outbid them for this year's Open.

Lot of this is gonna come down to viewing habits. The Derby, I can see Longines. The Derby demographic fits them. I'm rather more surprised they pushed the VHP.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm rather more surprised they pushed the VHP.
I'm not. For a a national TV broadcast you'd expect a wide audience, aka mass market.

Quartz watches rule in the mass market for a regular wristwatch and if you can sell a watch why not sell a relatively trouble-free quartz product that is also different in that it's super-accurate? The downside I see is it ain't exactly easy to find a Longines in a local store compared to a Rolex (or Tag or Breitling).

Makes more sense to me than pushing a mechanical that isn't labeled "Rolex".

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Longines has a long history with horse racing, and a really impressive history in timing races. Google it you will be surprised at their early use of quartz technology dating back to the 1950's.

What was surprising was not that they ran ads during the derby, they do every year during the triple crown and breeders cup, it was the style of the ad and that it was the VHP. The last few years the ads were like Rolex ads, 55 seconds of actors and mood and the watch shown for 5 seconds at the end of the ad. That watch was usually one of the automatics from the Master Collection. This year it was all watch and the VHP.

Watch ads are pretty common in the US, depends on your viewing habits if you will see one though.

Rolex sponsors various golf and tennis events, so you will see a bunch of ads at the event and during the broadcasts, they also have a bunch of golfers and tennis pros as brand ambassadors.

Omega also is a sponsor of golfs PGA Championship, tent at the event, and commercials during the broadcast. They also had a big presence at the Olympics including ads, and giving out watches to all the athletes.

Citizen sponsors various tennis events and figure skating. They also pop up during US football and Nascar. Bunch of brand ambassadors

Seiko has the tennis player Jokavic, he sports his Astron and appears in ads. They also had some nice ads with the ballerina Misty Copeland.

Tissot is an official sponsor of the NBA, ads every half hour during the playoffs, and at least a couple during the regular season.

Than we get the heavy hitters the like AP, VC, and Richard Mille along with Rolex and Tag Heuer and others that spend big on Formula One racing.

Should point out they are international buys. Seen them on the Sky network in Europe and Japan in addition to the US.

Nice to see an HAQ watch in an ad.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Nice to see an HAQ watch in an ad.
I have noticed in UK that watch-shops are giving a lot of space to VHP.
I saw one shop which had about 10 watches on display, different styles, chronograph and GMT.
Also a lot of stuff about them on Longines web-site.
Which makes me think that it has been a success in the market-place..

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dave m was that goldsmiths?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Dave m was that goldsmiths?
Forget which shop, but was in York shopping centre. I even saw the GMT in a small private jeweller in Scarborough

·
Registered
698 Posts
Forget which shop, but was in York shopping centre. I even saw the GMT in a small private jeweller in Scarborough
Thanks i had noticed longines being dispalyed in the bolton goldsmiths store but i havent ventured inside as yet.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Thanks i had noticed longines being dispalyed in the bolton goldsmiths store but i havent ventured inside as yet.
Chisolm Hunter has a good display of VHPs (at least the one in Chester does). I bought mine from there about 12 months ago and the staff were v knowledgeable and helpful and seemed to have a genuine interest in watches.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Yep. One rarely sees quartz ads other then Eco Drive (and they push the "powered by light" as the draw; the fact that it's quartz is left to implication.) On a similar note, Haute Time of all places had an article on the 0100. Still a watch blog but more of a luxury-products blog that happens to talk about watches (and superyachts and private jets).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts