WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, following on from Eric's posts about too many polls. I have another issue which I'm sure some others may share.

I'm going to use John Wilson as an example here. We all know he is a fantastic photo taker, there is no getting away from that, and we all enjoy his pictures. Some of his posts can involve several pictures, which is no bad thing, they are really good. But when people use the quote button and include the pictures, it can make a post seem visually repetitive. And it must be murder on modem users. Shall we just use the quote facility to quote text or is this a non-issue for you all. Shall I start a poll? ;-)

Like the title says, am I being too anal or does anyone else get bothered by this? And let me state, I just used JW's work as an example as he was the first person that sprung to mind.

- Fergie

p.s. I know this is a request that should be made by a mod, and I did ask Eric first. He said it would be ok for me to ask the Forum.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
I agree with you that it is a little annoying seeing the same pic's many times but I can put up with it.

As for the loading, I believe it doesn't take extra time to load the same photo twice.
Your Internet browser will load the images simultaneously as they are from the same source location. I could be wrong as I'm a government IT officer and sit there doing nothing all day (not :roll:)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up, Fergie. I think you make a good point. I generally edit out the photos when quoting, unless I'm referring to a specific photo. It's just another thing to consider to make things a little easier for everyone.

Incidentally, you and anyone else shouldn't feel like you can't post these types of suggestions or requests. It's your forum, too. Thanks again for bringing it up.

eric

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree.
We've seen the pictures once, I don't need to see them six times in one thread. o|

That being said, I do what eric does when quoting. Strip out the photos. |>

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you are, then that makes two of us! ;-)

I suspect that many aren't even aware that they can use the quote facility and "cut" the photos from it, leaving just the text. Heck, I even further excise the text that is superfluous to my reply, leaving only the pertinent text and my reply. Saves both bandwidth, and as you said, the patience of the 56K dial-up user isn't quite as tested.

It's difficult, Fergie, for perfect people, like us, to live in this imperfect world. :-d:roll:

edit: Was composing at the same time as Truck Guy. You join Fergie and me, TG, in that perfect group. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Roger.

I tend to do the same thing and cut the quote to include only the text I'm referring to. It can make following a thread much easier.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Yes - quoting pictures takes up a lot of space. No need for the redundancy. Good point.

mike.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I had the same thought earlier today, Fergie. It really hit home on DMB's picture thread when somebody quoted JW and all 10,000 pics were there to scroll through again. Good idea. And Roger, it's people like you who THINK they are perfect that makes things very difficult for those of us that are. :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
And Roger, it's people like you who THINK they are perfect that makes things very difficult for those of us that are. :)
I have a plaque on the wall here with that inscription. Just above the text is an Afgan dog with his snout raised in the air in a most haughty manner. :)

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
I had the same thought earlier today, Fergie. It really hit home on DMB's picture thread when somebody quoted JW and all 10,000 pics were there to scroll through again. Good idea. And Roger, it's people like you who THINK they are perfect that makes things very difficult for those of us that are. :)
Hi Bob! It's a sickness...I know. John Wilson.

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Incidentally, you and anyone else shouldn't feel like you can't post these types of suggestions or requests. It's your forum, too. Thanks again for bringing it up.

eric
Well you have been running the Omega forum with an iron fist lately. That's why some of us are frighten of you. You have pushed the Moose brothers to drink....more! John Wilson.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Hey John.................

Is it that obvious? I'll try to tone it down a bit, thanks for the heads up! Oh, since I'm here, I quote nothing, I prefer to let people figure out who I'm addressing. It's usually not difficult. David

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
C'mon, Roger, get us a pic of that!
Ok, :) because you asked... and please excuse the hopefully quick and done hijack.

Here's the plaque with the pooch and text, followed by its grouping on the wall.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Like the title says, am I being too anal or does anyone else get bothered by this?
Totally agree with you Fergie -- no you are not being anal, yes it (slightly) annoys me having to scroll past a bunch of photos I've already seen because someone has hit "quote reply" and hasn't bothered to strip out the photos (it ain't that difficult!).

It's just good forum etiquette to not repost large slabs of a previous post. I guess that includes text, too.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Everyone is all over it, but no one has said it.........

I don't drink any more..............Well, I don't drink any less either.
The real reason for people to continue to post with a quote that contains
John Wilson's photos in it is to pi$$ off the crappy photographers.
Like me. There are some great photographers here and I'm really getting tired of getting my nose rubbed in it. You know who you are.
The other problem I see is I would really like to use the software to
edit out the photos. If I knew how. And, I would really like to use
the software to just quote certian parts of a post. If I knew how.
Some are more gifted with the forum software than others. Nuff said.
Also my brother is a big fat liar. He doesn't know how to quote anyone.
I just got off the phone and he says,"what the hell they talking about".
Look at the bottom of the page dummy!
jim

1 - 20 of 48 Posts