WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my continued search for bargains.... I came across this 'skeleton' of a watch..... which is all original apart from the strap :rodekaart

ETERNA MATIC SKELETON AUTOMATIC WATCH MEN'S. | eBay

And for those of you that dont follow the link... as taster:

As I have ranted about many times with these 'Skeletonized' watches.... how do they get away with selling these as 'Original' watches.... Ok, maybe some of the ones I have seen coming out of the Ukraine - normally Pocket watch conversions - have 90% gumph about the history of the brand (Omega, Patek, etc) in the description, followed by a short sentence that skirts around the fact the watch has been converted.... This seller seems to claim this is all original!

As far as I can tell, Eterna Did use the 2892 cal in their watches..... and from looking on Rolands site, the 2892-2 seems to be a good candidate for skeletonizing!

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 2892-2

and Eterna

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Eterna 12892 (ETA 2892)

The detail someone has gone into to engrave this movement..... then use a sharpie pen to add the 'eterna' dots on the crystal....

And my final thought when looking at this..... how do you get into service this watch?

Looks like both front and back crystals are glued in to me! :roll:

Rant over.....

Marc

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just noticed the sellers watermarks on the pics.... think he is missing a 'B' and 'Y'.......

Reactions: DragonDan

·
Registered
104 Posts
That looks like a converted Eterna-Matic 3000 (which had the 2982 equivalent). The metal work is actually not that bad. What I question, though, is how the rotor has enough mass to actually work. The 2892 watch I have (even as serviced by Omega) seems to have more inertia in the rotor than a 2824 does (I'm guessing more bearing surface).

D

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,207 Posts
The detail someone has gone into to engrave this movement..... then use a sharpie pen to add the 'eterna' dots on the crystal....
Perhaps the person who put the dots on the glass is not the same person who skeletonized the movement. Perhaps it has been recased. Perhaps the seller picked it up in its current state and actually thinks it's all original. Who knows? There are too many unknowns, but one thing is for sure; nobody would take a fully built-up solid movement and do that amount of work on it just to sell for profit, especially if they're putting into a less-than-pristine case. There's a long story behind this watch.

The fact is that most vintage watch listings on ebay stretch the truth whatever the originality and condition of the watch, so you probably shouldn't assume that whenever you see a modified watch that somebody has spent a hundred hours hand-cutting a movement with the sole motivation of defrauding you.

And my final thought when looking at this..... how do you get into service this watch?

Looks like both front and back crystals are glued in to me! :roll:
Well yes, how else do you get the glass to stay in the caseback? It looks like a conventional snap-on caseback with glass insert. In fact the case-knife marks are plainly evident from when it was last opened. Hence my comment about a less than pristine case.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps the person who put the dots on the glass is not the same person who skeletonized the movement. Perhaps it has been recased. Perhaps the seller picked it up in its current state and actually thinks it's all original. Who knows? There are too many unknowns, but one thing is for sure; nobody would take a fully built-up solid movement and do that amount of work on it just to sell for profit, especially if they're putting into a less-than-pristine case. There's a long story behind this watch.

The fact is that most vintage watch listings on ebay stretch the truth whatever the originality and condition of the watch, so you probably shouldn't assume that whenever you see a modified watch that somebody has spent a hundred hours hand-cutting a movement with the sole motivation of defrauding you.

Well yes, how else do you get the glass to stay in the caseback? It looks like a conventional snap-on caseback with glass insert. In fact the case-knife marks are plainly evident from when it was last opened. Hence my comment about a less than pristine case.
Hi Chascomm....

I agree, there are a lot of unknowns.... plus, the seller probably did purchase the watch in its current state! However, the seller sells watches.... thats it! I find it very hard to believe they are not fully aware this watch has been assembled from parts and clearly not in an original state!!

As for Hundreds of hours spent........ thats a day or so's work!! The initial outlay for a hand held engraver is £40 max.... A desk mounted drill will cost more, but would bore out and engrave.... each plate would not be more than a few hours work! Profit in it..... definitely! We will have to see how much it sells for! Still, I agree there is a skill involved in doing this.... would like to know who buys these and what they think they have bought!

Stretching the truth is one thing..... 'Sole motivation of defrauding you'...... I cant see it as anything else!!

As for the caseback.... you are right!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I dont think the simplistic swirly engraving would take a lot of time
as you say Sparcster, but the skeletonising certainly would. It looks
very well done indeed with the minimum of material left for structural
integrity.
I would think it adds value to the watch but it would never turn a profit
for the amount of work invested. Possibly produced by a student or apprentice
of watchmaking or a gifted enthusiast for their own use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts